General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 (RSAT) fr-CA

I live in Québec in Canada and we would love to install the RSAT tool with our regional parameter but it is not available actually.

We need to install a language pack to successfully install it

Can you release a version of the RSAT tool for fr-CA ?

15 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Windows Server 2016: The message "Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way" has displayed

When I tried to update my Windows Server 2016 from Settings menu, The message "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?" has shown.
      Even though WS2016 and Win10 is different OS.

15 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Unable to log in using RDP on Windows Server 2012 or 2016 when having more than about 900 local users

Hello,

I would like to report a huge bug in Windows Server 2012 and 2016. For 2012 I need to try multiple times to log in to system using RDP but for upgrading 2012 to 2016 I can't log in at all. Everything is described here:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/systemcenter/en-US/b45761b1-3949-4c9c-9e88-7d70cef6990f/long-delay-to-log-in-please-wait-for-the-local-session-manager?forum=ws2016

Basically during RDP logging in process lsass.exe process is parsing ALL local users which takes too much time and incoming RDP session is being disconnected. As far as I can see in Windows Event log about 800-900 local users are being parsed before disconnection occurs.

During logging in process lsass.exe is using large…

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix startmenu when using fullscreen setting (Windows Server 2016)

When using the startmenu in fullscreen mode, the start menu won't open anymore after a restart. When you disable and re-enable fullscreen mode, it works once again until the next restart.

It seems to be the ShellExperienceHost:

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: ShellExperienceHost.exe, Version: 10.0.14393.447, Zeitstempel: 0x5819bf85
          Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: StartUI.dll, Version: 10.0.14393.447, Zeitstempel: 0x5819be04
          Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005
          Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000b96b0
          ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xa50
          Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01d2ecced8231441
          Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Windows\SystemApps\ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy\ShellExperienceHost.exe
          Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\ShellExperiences\StartUI.dll
          Berichtskennung: 563781c7-6fab-49ae-b3de-e0dd30c1c08c
          Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets: Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.14393.447_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
          Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist: App

It's also possible that this…

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Configure Azure Backup fail on Windows Server 2016 Essentials Dashboard

Configure Azure Backup fail on Windows Server 2016 Essentials (Japanese) Dashboard.
            It seems like "SetMachinePassphrase request failed".

Log is below.

[9248] 170611.195806.8596: General: Initializing...C:\Windows\System32\Essentials\OnlineBackupGettingStartedWizard.exe
            [9248] 170611.195806.9064: OnlineBackupObjectModel: OnlineBackupBacked created successfully.
            [9248] 170611.195807.0002: OnlineBackupObjectModel: Async connect called
            [9248] 170611.195807.0939: PfBinding: Information: [0] : Adding service dns identity [WS2016E] in proxy endpoint.
            [9248] 170611.195807.1564: OnlineBackupObjectModel: OnlineBackup connector created
            [9248] 170611.195807.1564: OnlineBackupObjectModel: Set connection identifier to 1
            [9248] 170611.195807.1721: StorageOM: StorageBacked created successfully.
            [9248] 170611.195807.1721: StorageOM: Set connection identifier to 1
            [7068] 170611.195810.2978: StorageOM: Getting storage data from server
            [10112] 170611.195834.6420: OnlineBackupObjectModel: Start Online Backup service
            [10112] 170611.195839.5951: MailServiceUtils: Try to Refresh Tab,…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Print Spooler Isolation

Ever since Windows server 2012 we have had printer driver isolation, but there is a need for print spooler isolation. This would allow for an individual spooler for a printer to be stopped and the jobs deleted without affecting all other printers on the print server. This could be done in a method where the main print spooler service spawns child instances for each print and then through an api you would be able to stop and start these child instances.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Windows Defender Automatic update

Give us the option to allow Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016 to update automatically.
                Why would anyone want to wait for a maintenance window to install windows defender updates via windows update?

If I turn on automatically install updates everything would be installed including definition updates but the server might reboot because of system and security updates.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Azure AD Connector - wrong error message "Mailnickname"

Azure idFix Check will not check every standard

Problem:
                  A security group that contains a "." will result in an error with "mailnickname" Property in Azure AD Connector when syncing to Azure AD / Exchange online.

The Error message is irritating and wrong as not the property "Mailnickname" is wrong but the security group has an invalid display name which contains one or more dots "." characters.

Suggestion:
                  Implement a correct error message for this sync error.

There exist a support ticket for this issue.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Office iDFix tool - columns cannot be adjusted

When using the Office iDFix tool - columns cannot be adjusted to prepare an AD for Azure Sync, the result table can be flexible adjusted for nearly all columns but the first 2 from the left that is DN.

Especially the DN is very long and it is not helpful that you cannot adjust the width there.

also when clicking on DN the DN will be incorrectly sorted (not by OU / path / alphabetical)

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Office iDFix Tool will not notify about incompatible displaynames

Problem there is a technet document about the known limitations for Group names (255 char long, no dots allowed etc) but idFix will not flag them as errornous if they violate these rules.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix virtual TPM in Linux guests

I run CentOS 7 and RHEL 7 virtual machines on a Hyper-V Server 2016.

Virtual TPMs in the VMs somehow worked, at least as entropy sources, before June 2017 Patch Tuesday. After I've applied the latest cumulative patch every TPM got broken on the next VM restart.

The bug is a regression between 14393.1230 and 14393.1358.
                        (I've downgraded and everything seems fine now.)

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Install client connector for Windows Server 2016 Essentials fails when IPv4 and IPv6 are enabled on network

Client connector install wizard fails when IPv4 and IPv6 are enabled on local network.
                          This issue is caused by name resolution problem on IPv6 during join active directory domain.

Connector should set both IPv4 DNS server address and IPv6 DNS server address on client computer to Essentials Server's IP automatically.

Client connector

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows Server 2016 licencing model issues

For me I'm not looking to install as many vm's as i can possibly do. I'm looking to allocate more ram and processing power per VM to improve performance of older apps. Microsoft penalise users in this scenario which means i have less budget to licence development servers ect. I have 2 new dual 12 core servers so 48 cores. I have 8 VM's total and unlikely to need more. However I'm forced to licence 48 cores which is not cheap. Microsoft is assuming users are going to install as many VM's as possible which is not the case.....

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Workflow intigration in Microsoft Oulook

This improvement suggestion is based on a problem which occurred often to me in my professional career, which cost a lot of nerves.
                              The improvement would be to set up a workflow in a graphical representation, which contains all concerned persons at each step of the workflow. So to speak it would be a kind of extension to the task manager in Microsoft outlook, which not only shows what task are done or not done, but also at which point of the workflow the task is stuck, and which tasks are in the pipline.
                              For example:
                              I want to order…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Scheduled Tasks do not store domain information of runas account

If you create a scheduled task in Server 2016, the domain information of the user is not saved or stored.
                                Getting the principal with powershell or exporting the task as xml does not show the domain information either.

10 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure Site Recovery Integration issue in Server 2016 Essentials

I'm facing an issue on Azure Site Recovery Integration in server 2016 Essentials(Japanese).
                                  I can see VMs on server dashboard and click [Enable replication to Azure], sign in Azure.
                                  But, I can't choose region of subscription.

When I change system language, I can select region of Azure.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Routing and RRAS

Routing and RRAS is Broken on Windows Server 2016.
                                    I can''t dail up via pppoe.
                                    It would be great, if this could be fixed.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• configure the winrm client without starting the winrm server

When trying to user psremoting you have to add a trusted host to your client's trusted hosts. This is fine and we normally default to '*' for developer machines that need to talk to prod and other infra. The problem is that this also requires the developer machine to start the winrm service which 'allows the computer to recieve Windows Powershell remote commands that are sent using the WS-Management technology'. I get pushback from devs who don't want to run this server service and see it as an unecessary security risk. We typically don't need CredSSP or have issues with…

4 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • [OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗

[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗[OPSS4].com ら 역삼오피 오피〖쓰〗 광주오피 〖일산오피〗

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Azure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Media Streaming Service for Windows Server Essentials 2016

Need windows media streaming service back for server essentials 2016

21 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base