General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop the "Windows update madness" on WS2016!

Dear Microsoft Windows Server team. We would like _complete control_ over when we would like our our WS2016 to install windows updates! No more slow / timeconsuming server restarts because of "Getting Windows ready. Do not turn off your computer" messages when we just would like a quick restart of a production server.. No more TiWorker.exe using 100% of a CPU core during "*********" and so on.. And please fix the issues with '2017-08 Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4035631)' asap. Thank you.

34 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • pagefile

Following this discussion:
      https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c5f2786c-ffac-4f14-b7a9-00612cdf784e/server-2016-vm-hangs-shutting-downrestarting-when-the-pagefile-is-on-a-different-vhdx?forum=winserverhyperv

The core problem is the following, for example (simple config), for Exchange or SQL servers in a HYPER-V VM under Windows 2016:

systemdrive for windows system (and sql, exchange core),
      datadrive for mbx data or sql-databases
      datadrive for log file
      drive for pagefile

We create for all this drive a separat VHDX file and add this to the VM as SCSI drive.

The drive for pagefile (fast SSD, NVMe or other) is exclusiv for the pagefile reserved. No other data on it. The drive for pagefile is the only drive with a pagefile for this vm.…

12 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Dedicated Event Log for Windows Firewall Activity (pfirewall.log in the event logs)

A dedicated Windows Event log for Windows Firewall activity - like pfirewall.log provides - would make centralized logging and reporting much easier and lead to greater adoption of the built in firewall. IPSec logging to the security Event Log is not a robust answer, as it causes too much log churn for most enterprises.

27 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Uninstall button greyed out in Software Center for applications that are pushed via a "required" collection

When deploying an application through a collection in "required" state, uninstall button is greyed out. This doesn't happen if the application is installed through a collection in "available" state. We would like to have the uninstall button always accessible, no matter if the application was pushed in a required state or not. Corruption happens all the time and technicians need to be able to uninstall/reinstall all the time. Because uninstall is greyed out, they have to use the control panel instead, which defeats the purpose of using Software Center.

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Support Azure AD domain join for Windows Server 2016

Microsoft should strongly consider implementing support for Azure AD join in future builds of Windows Server 2016. I how a couple of customers that have nearly finished the transition to all cloud and is left with a couple of servers due to legacy software. They are currently left with the option to deploy Azure AD Domain Services for supporting a couple (2-5) servers.

4 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • DPM - AN absolutely worthless product

I would like to see the Microsoft developers get off of their lazy @#$#@ and improve the DPM server. I am being forced to use a product that Microsoft should be ashamed to have their name on.

3 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Dark Theme for Group Policy Management Editor

Include an option for a Dark theme view in the Group Policy Management Editor.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Add option to re-check for updates before installing

When going to apply updates, there should at least be an option to check for updates if updates are already found. This was previously an option through Server 2012 R2 and is no longer possible. Because of this, changes to available updates may not be received by the client computer until after the update list is applied and the server is rebooted. Given how locked down the update interface is now, even having that option automatically happen in the background would be great.

In my environment, I use WSUS to patch all of my servers. This month, KB4041691 was installed…

23 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • hyper-V Manager

In Virtual Machines list a column to show whether the VM is the primary replicating out, or a dormant replica.

I had a panicked user start the replica because he thought the VM was turned off.

That said, can I rename the VM on the replica side only (by adding the word REPLICA for example)?

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Support for Network Policy Server (NPS) Role on Server Core

Network Policy Server is an infrastructure services role much like ADDS, ADCS, DNS, and DHCP.

We need to have support for this role added to Server Core. Requiring a GUI for this role means more patches, wasted CPU cycles and wasted memory.

3 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Update Essentials 2012 R2 Dashboard to be compatible with current .NET releases

If any .NET version after 4.5.2 is installed, some dashboard functionality fails (can't remove computer, can't ignore alert) and the dashboard crashes randomly. Removing and blocking .NET 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 works around the issue, but that means the server is limited to the 4-year-old .NET 4.5.2. This article has more details:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows Setup in a boot from SAN

Permanent fix for Boot from SAN when there are multiple paths to the Boot LUN. There is a workaround mentioned in below article but this is preventing us from fully automating windows setup.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2826787/windows-setup-in-a-boot-from-san-configuration-reports-setup-was-unabl

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • certmgr improvements (UX, etc) for finding certificates

Adjust columns as desired, by default have thumbprint viewable. Group by issuer would also be really great. A menu item to find a specific certificate by thumbprint, or all issued by that thumbprint.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Single Use Admin Passwords

Single User Admin Passwords
                                Often I have to run to someone's computer just to enter the admin password. I wish there was some type of generated admin code that I could give someone else to type into the computer for a single time use.

Even better would be a popup sent to another computer where the person knows the admin credentials and they could type them in remotely.
                                Remote Popup Message "Bob has requested to install (Sage Accounting Software Update) Do you wish to give this person permission to perform this action?"

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Get-WindowsCapability Windows 10 Enterprise 1709

If have some issues with Dism after a new Installation with Windows 10 1709 and Upgrade from Windows 1703 to 1709.

Get-WindowsCapability : Error "Get-WindowsCapability". Errorcode: 0x800f0954
                                  Line:1 Zeichen:1
                                  + Get-WindowsCapability -online
                                  + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                                  + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WindowsCapability], COMException
                                  + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.GetWindowsCapabilityCommand

Some Lines from Dism Logfile:

DISM OS Provider: PID=7180 TID=6088 Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder. C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder. - CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnect

DISM Provider Store: PID=7180 TID=6088 Failed to load the provider: C:\Users\ADMIN~1.TES\AppData\Local\Temp\38977CD8-C67C-463B-8721-E72E5E46A990\PEProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

DISM Provider Store: PID=7180 TID=6088 Failed to get and…

10 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Server 2016 - Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. rundll32.exe

On fresh install of Server 2016 Standard (several times), once I join the server to the domain, the domain admin account cannot "personalize" the desktop theme to include desktop icons. I get the error above, saying that you (domain admin) may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. It works fine with local admin before and after the server is joined to the domain, but not for domain admin.

Anyone?

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bring back NAP / Health Policy for Windows Server 2016

Bring back NAP / Health Policy Server for Windows Server2016

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Microsoft shold have a tools who helps IT

Microsoft should have a tools for Windows server to help ITs select there's needs for example Windows Server 2016 has tons of roles and services none of remember all roles. If there a tools help people for example I ask the tool i need something for policy tool answer GPO or maybe choices you can select things you need and the tools gives you what server and service role you need.

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base