General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows Updates shouldn't fail constantly or take hours to complete

I have a number of 2016 servers. It seems like 99% of them fail when doing automatic updates. I am able to install them manually by going through sconfig and selecting option 6 but it takes FOREVER. During installation, the CPU or Memory isn't maxed out at 100% so I have no idea what is causing it to take forever. All other previous versions of Windows run and install updates just fine in the same VMware environment.

83 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

15 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • 19 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Fix .NET-incompatibility with Essentials Dashboard on Server 2016

With the latest .Net updates the dashboard is not useable anymore: Warnings can't be ignored or deleted, computers can't be removed...
        Only the progressbar appears, cpu usage rises to 100% and dashboard gets stuck or crashes.

35 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • hide power button from terminal server users

TS users keep hitting the powerbutton. can we change the behaviour of the power button or hide it entirely

they intend to log off but they keep powering the server down.

6 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • [Bug] Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials

The Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials for the Windows Admin Center when adding computers or installing extensions, and it often does so twice in a row.

6 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • ADFS - Force authentication method per relying party on IDP-side

related to ADFS 2016:

it would be great if we can force a specific authentication method at ADFS for a relying party. in general forms and certificate authtentication is possible for our users, but for specific apps only certificate should be possible for security reasons. adding certificate as MFA is not a good solution from the users point of view because they will be forced to enter first their credentials before they have to use a certificate (which is more secure than forms and because of this sufficient).

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Show file extensions by default

Show file extension by default on Windows Server. I can understand why the extension is hidden by default on the Desktop OS but for server it should be visible.

21 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Finer WSUS categories, especially by architecture and Windows 10 subversion

I end up declining 80% of all WSUS updates, because my products all use x64 architecture, hence I don't need ARM64, Itanium or IA-32 updates. As for Windows 10, I don't need updates for versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709. There should be an easy way to tell WSUS not get any of these updates during synchronization.

13 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• CEP/CES installation requires Enterprise Admins membership

The scenario is installation of CEP/CES (both are part of Windows AD Certificate Services role) and the problem is that this installation requires membership in either Enterprise Admins or root Domain Admins groups.
                    Would like to suggest to remove this hard coded requirement and provide normal delegation options where we can exactly provide to the installation user account minimum rights for performing CEP/CES installation.

4 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remove insecure protocols from IIS

Default IIS HTTPS settings should get a good grade on https://www.ssllabs.com/
                      If legacy operating system support is needed, that should have to be enabled on a per-site basis.

6 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Windows update / SQL update needs to have more control

I just had SQL server restart at 9:36 am for me because of a microsoft update. I appreciate the importance of updating product, but I should never have to apologize to my customers for 10 minutes of down time while SQL is restarting. Active hours shouldn't be only 8 hours long. All in all the most frustrating part of running Windows 2016.

11 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • GUI Choice for Administrators and Engineers

First, I have been supporting Microsft since Win 3.1 and NT 3.1, I am stating I am one of your longtime engineers and hope you will take my suggestion into consideration.

As an Administrator I access a lot of different areas that users do not. These areas are critical to my day to day oerations and help me keep your products in a good light. Recently, you have removed the control panel and our work arounds get removed with each update. As an engineer I realize that these tools are totally unecessary for the standard user, but critical to me.

2 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Do not remove Essentials Role in Server 2019

We still need a Windows Version for small customers getting easy connection to Azure and Office 365. So do NOT remove the Essential Role out of Version 2019.

81 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make hyper-v integration services update work for none internet connected servers and VM's. Publish the IS KB's for download

Hyper-V Servers or VM's that are not able to get to the internet Microsoft Windows Update Server are not able to get the Integration Services updates. We need a PowerShell way to be able to check to see what Integration Services version is installed like we had (Get-vm -ComputerName $Env:computername | ft ComputerName,Name,State,IntegrationServicesVersion,IntegrationServicesState
                              ) and a way to update them with a KB update.

3 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Robocopy - exclude files and directories

Robocopy.exe is great tool, but it have one really stupid thing. In command line I can add list of excluded files (param /XF file1 file2 ...filex) and directories param /XD dir1 ...dirx). Great! BUT when I have lot of files (or dirs) for exclude its really not comfortable to write lot of filenames to command line (or into batch file). And command line has limit 2048 characters. its so big problem add param for example /XDFILE:list.txt for read excluded directories from file list.txt? (and for files something similar)

2 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Remove insecure protocols from builtin VPN/Wifi

Default VPN/WiFi settings shouldn't allow insecure connections, nor allow users to override acceptable CAs for a connection without the user acknowledging that what they're doing is very risky.

5 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Windows Firewall Advanced - Allow rule by DNS name

It is very important to include in the "Scope" tab, within a Windows Firewall rule, to release DNS names and not just IP addresses.

12 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Issue on Windows10 Pro as RDP listener - internal error occurred

Hello,

I want to report one issue that is easy to reproduce, it occurs with any rdp client that connects to Windows10 Pro with enabled RDP connections, actually used mstsc.exe to connect from one Windows10 pro machine to another Windows10 pro machine with enabled RDP.

After ~100 tries to restore interrupted connection the server refuses future rdp connection tries with internal error occurred message reported by mstsc.exe.

It doesn't matter if you have logged off the session during running, as example did 20 connection restorings then logged off, logged in and did next 80 connection restorings, that was only example,…

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • to take out the google search from Microsoft

my idea is to take out the google search from Microsoft and we create new search like google for Microsoft and it only used my Microsoft windows and I named it has micro search means even micro issue also will not escape means better then google search and lastly my hamble request sir please think about if we use this idea no company will beat the microsoft and have a nice day

8 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • MSTSC Should Be More Forthcoming With Diagnostics; Beyond "An Internal Error Occurred"

I manage a PC that runs Broadcast Software International's Simian application in production 24/7 for a radio station. It is royally impossible to manage the PC via mstsc which reports "An Internal Error Occurred." There is a VPN involved provided by WatchGuard's appliance. The VPN is NOT the problem. Remote Desktop works for the brother PC that also runs Windows 7 with University of Kansas's Telephone Reader application in production 24/7. My hypothesis is that the broadcast-quality sound card is being accessed, with catastrophic results, by the server part of RDP in Windows 7 even in the case where I…

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base