General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. If you have feedback on a specific aspect of Windows Server, for example Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., please submit your feedback in one of the forums available on the right.

Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas!

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our TechNet Forums.

To see our work in progress, please go ahead and install the Windows Server Technical Preview. More information on what’s new in the Technical Preview can be found here. You can join the conversation about the Technical Preview and swap advice with others at Technical Preview Forums.

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dedupe on ReFS and Hyper-V non-VDI scenarioes...

Please please please add support for Dedupe on ReFS volumes! If you want us to start using the new filesystem then you really should implement Dedupe as well. Also support for Dedupe on other than VDI loads would really be nice. It works very well, so why not??

3 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Outlook: Enable the possibility to move several tasks to a customized date

If you Chose a Task you have different options to move/reschedule it like 'Today', 'Tomorrow', 'This week', 'Custom' etc.
      If you Chose more than one Task the Option 'Custom' is not available anymore but would be useful.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Energy Managment for Notebook

I think it makes sense for notebooks the energy performance in battery and mains operation to separate . For example, running the laptop on AC power to power mode . When disconnecting the power supply , it will then automatically depending on the setting in the power saving mode or Balanced .Please sorry my English... ;-)

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Manage Settings (New Control Panel) for RDSH Servers

I am working on a new lockdown group policy that will be used for our future Windows 2016 XenApp servers.

As this will be used for a lot of users, certain things will need to be locked down. For example the Settings need to be locked down in the same way as it possible with Control Panel.

I want to be able to manage what settings is visible in Settings with GPO.

We cannot allow users on a shared RDSH server to install windows update, add VPN connection, check what application is installed etc etc.
          With Control Panel it was…

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • "On-Premesis" CRL distribution

Create a capability to have on-premises copies of CRLs, that machines can be redirected to via Group Policy.

3 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Run group policy update silently when run from Group Policy Management

On Server 2012 when running Group Policy Update from within the Group Policy Management Console the update runs interactive on the targeted systems. This makes the feature pretty much obsolete as you can't run a group policy update in real time urgently if it means the perception of interfering with end users.

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Disable Windows Store for regular users.

Regular users are allowed to install Apps. This shouldn't be allowed on ** server **. Any GPO I tried on W2016 TP5 had no effect.

Also, I don't understand why an "Application" would not be a "software" and why there is a need for "Application Control Policies" GPO beside "Software Restriction Policies" GPO.

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  RDS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Bug: Narrow start menu cuts off shutdown/restart reason dialog box

On Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5, if the Start menu is sized to its narrowest (i.e., without space for live tiles), the 'Continue' button in the reason for shutdown/restart dialog is inaccessible (cropped at the edge of the Start menu).

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Services aren't started after a reboot

It seems that on Windows Server 2016 TP5 services configured on Automatic aren't started after a reboot. This happens with third party services and can be tested by adding a service yourself with sc.exe.

In the event viewer these two events are placed:

Event ID: 7000, The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
                    Event ID: 7009, A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the service to connect.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hyperlinking page-entries within WORD 2016 keyword index

Microsoft WORD 2016 is supporting page-hyperlinking within the table of the contents index field, but it doesn't within the table of the keywords index field. That is a serious lack in all cases of WORD documents with a great number of keywords and adjuncted textmarks { XE "<keyword>" \r "<textmark>" }. Most regrettable is loosing manually implemented hyperlinks by updating an existing keyword index field.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Support c++ dll build in VS 2008 toolset to work in 2016 server OS.

It was found that the c++ dll which was build using VS 2008 toolset was causing problem when deployed in Windows 2016 server . The dependency walker shows missing dll errors ( few are given below) which i suppose is misleading.

API-MS-WIN-CORE-LOCALIZATION-L2-1-0.DLL
                        API-MS-WIN-SECURITY-BASE-L1-2-0.DLL
                        API-MS-WIN-CORE-HEAP-L1-2-0.DLL
                        API-MS-WIN-CORE-DELAYLOAD-L1-1-1.DLL
                        API-MS-WIN-POWER-SETTING-L1-1-0.DLL

The same dll runs in Windows 2008 and windows2012 server .
                        When the dll was build with VS 2013 toolset every thing started working.
                        Re-building the existing dll in VS 2013 toolset and deploying has huge test effort.

so My suggestion is to provide support for dlls which are built in VS2008 toolset in…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Windows 2016 start menu search on GUI should be as comprehensive as Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2

When I hit start and type "Active", for example, the start menu correctly finds "Active Directory Users and Computers", "Active Directory Domains and Trusts", etc. on Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2.
                          that is NOT the case in Windows 2016 TP5. I have to type in "administrative" to get to "Windows Administrative Tools" and then run my mmc.

I don't know if it is a setting I should enable (maybe Cortana), or I have to wait for some indexing to finish (I've already waited waaay to long; besides Windows 2012R2 does not have this index-wait-time) for this comprehensive search to happen,…

13 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Wifi crashes explorer in TP5

When you click on the wireless network that you want to use, your previously entered Wifi password WPA key is not remembered and needs to be entered every time you reboot. That's not all, however after I click enter after typing in my password, the network settings window crashes and creates dump file everytime, Explorer is the application that crashes after entering my Wifi password.

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • to consider fighting poor video performance on RDSH

From what I've seen watching videos on RDSH has always been a huge problem. The video stucks, there are artifacts, and very few frames per second. I'm talking about YouTube videos (HTML5 / Flash Player) or third-party-players like VLC Media Player.
                              It would be great if you could investigate here so watching YouTube videos etc. will be possible on RDSH in the future! I known it is impossible to use graphics intensive applications on RDSH, but why are videos so slow?
                              I think many users would be glad if they could watch videos in RDSH sessions, this might become a…

2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  RDS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • live.com menu

Under live.com be found in the top left 9 points to a display menu . This menu would still be adjusted if I am staying under onenote . There are still at the time the old terms .

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • If Windows Server 2016 support "windows hello" feature?

If Windows Server 2016 TP5 support "windows hello" feature? any declare or blog?

I installed windows server 2016 (14393), and then I can't use "windows hello" in settings.

this feature worked in windows 10.

2 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Microsoft® Visual Studio® Professional 2012 Sngl OPEN 1 License KEY not available in VLSC site

I am not getting product key details of this product which i bought in 2013.Not available in vslc site also.From where Will i get informatyion regarding this.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Windows Server Start Menu at least like Windows 7 Start Menú and old classic start menu.

Please, no more mobile UI and flat and ugly design like Windows 10.

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • RemoteApp and Remote Desktop services issue with gateway

I have installed Remote Desktop Services on Windows Terminal Server 2016 TP5 servers.
                                        I'm using a gateway, in order to connect from outside over HTTPS.
                                        RemoteApp and Remote Desktop are working really good from Windows Computers Clients with the Remote Desktop Application (from the Windows Store) or with the default mstsc client.
                                        When I use the same application for a Windows Phone 10 device, or with the Android or iOS application it doesn't work, even if I use the same wifi network as my laptop.
                                        I can add the remote ressources, but I cannot connect to them with the same…

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  RDS  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • 1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base