General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Default shell in Server Core and MinShell to PowerShell

With the change to Server Core or MinShell as install options, MS should not default the way you interact with the server to the old command line. It should be PowerShell. I do this on my current servers by changing the registry, but I'm not sure why in 2015 MS doesn't do this by default.

217 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Server Core

Get back possibility to switch between Server Core and GUI

Since TP3 it is no longer possible to switch between the different user interface types. I think it is absolutely mandatory to get this option back untill RTM of Server 2016

102 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Windows 2016 start menu search on GUI should be as comprehensive as Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2

When I hit start and type "Active", for example, the start menu correctly finds "Active Directory Users and Computers", "Active Directory Domains and Trusts", etc. on Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2.
        that is NOT the case in Windows 2016 TP5. I have to type in "administrative" to get to "Windows Administrative Tools" and then run my mmc.

I don't know if it is a setting I should enable (maybe Cortana), or I have to wait for some indexing to finish (I've already waited waaay to long; besides Windows 2012R2 does not have this index-wait-time) for this comprehensive search to happen,…

66 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Remove/hide Power button/icon from the Start Menu

Add a way, preferably via GPO, to remove/hide the Power Button from the Start Menu, or a way to move the Log Off action to the Power Button.

When you enable "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep..." in a GPO. and remove the disconnect action, the Power Button still remains, and just opens up a blank menu. And I don't want my users to just see a useless button in the Start Menu.

Technet where I raised the issue: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2cf3cbb9-73b3-45ef-8897-54896d0eda2b/removehide-the-power-button-in-windows-server-2016?forum=ws2016

38 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Remove Cortana/Defender/XBox/UAC and the others bloatware

Please don't tell me about core version or nano!

We need a light weight GUI to speed up the settings and keep monitored the logs and other things. Please move all these stuff to "Add roles and Features"

Do you remember windows NT?

We don't need the heavyweight of all bloated stuff of windows 10.

This is a server.

Thank you

25 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Please add install GUI option and provide all powershell options as GUI selectables

During the installation please allow GUI as an option. Also please include most if not all hidden powershell commands as GUI options. It doesn't have to be pretty, but being able to check some boxes with advanced options instead of having to learn all the powershell commands each time would save time (example would be Storage Pools).

24 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Dashboard in Hyper V manager for virtual machines

Hi,

It would be great and helpful if there is a dashboard view in
                hyper-V Manager

Dashboard with basic details like
                Total no of VM
                No of VM running /Off
                OS details in VM
                Utilization / available free stoarge in Hyper V

Just like what we get in VMM console

This dashboard will be helpful in envrinment where there is not VMM in place

23 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Make a search box in windows services

With a huge list of services in Windows services, I would like to have a search box to find rapidly a Windows services. Thanks for vote if you think that will be a good idea.

19 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add hostname to shutdown dialog

Simple idea - add the hostname to the shutdown dialog, ie "Shutdown SERVERNAME". This would stop helpdesk/support personal from cheerfully shutting down critical servers instead of their workstations when going home for the day.

17 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Remove all components not required for a minimal GUI

Server Core is great, and I intend to use it more and more, but I'd like for the GUI version to be as stripped down as possible.

Yes, Jeffrey, I know we should never use the GUI version except for RDS but reality is reality. People use it and it would benefit everyone if the GUI went on a diet.

I don't have any specifics in mind as to what should be removed. I'll leave that up to you all to figure out.

15 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Enable Roaming Profiles to have START Right Click Context Menu "WinX"

Move "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\" to "C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\WinX\"

Roaming User Profiles constantly lost right click context menu capability on start button. This capability should be improved on Roaming Profiles by now. Currently, we need copy the WinX folder from Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WinX to the user using logon script constantly.

Its time for an improvement on thandling this WinX folder for Roaming Profiles and add a feature on GPO to include or exclude synchronization if needed.

11 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Manage Settings (New Control Panel) for RDSH Servers

I am working on a new lockdown group policy that will be used for our future Windows 2016 XenApp servers.

As this will be used for a lot of users, certain things will need to be locked down. For example the Settings need to be locked down in the same way as it possible with Control Panel.

I want to be able to manage what settings is visible in Settings with GPO.

We cannot allow users on a shared RDSH server to install windows update, add VPN connection, check what application is installed etc etc.
                          With Control Panel it was…

9 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• 8 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Control Panel> System and Security> Windows Update

Control Panel> System and Security> Windows Update Gone?

Who are you helping when you remove windows update from the control panel completely... makes no sense.

7 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please Stop Using Ugly Aero Lite Theme in Windows Server

The Aero Lite theme looks ugly and does not represent the client version (Windows 10) of the OS. Please just use regular Windows 10 theme. It is critical in RDS servers that the experience is the same with the client version of the OS. I understand that GUI on Server is very bad but the RDS role requires a GUI.

6 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Why a mobile user interface on Windows Server?

Why Microsoft develop a mobile user interface on a server operating system. Its unuseable, unpractical and without any comon sense.

6 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Server Core allow background image / bginfo

Customers want to embrace Server core, however the learning curve can be steep for their internal teams.

Idea: Allowing background images to be set. This would enable scenarios like using BG info for quick system status , or images with instructions like "press ctrl alt delete if you have closed the last console window". This can be very beneficial for improving the learning curve!!

5 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Set task manager to show total network percent of total capacity

I love Win Server 2012 R2 but HATE the sliding scale for network utilization. Every time I want only % of total bandwidth. If I have a 1GBit connection or a 10Gbit - I want to know if I'm using 1% of it or 15% or whatever. I don't know anyone with a 7.48gbit nic so the math isn't hard. The sliding scale is what I consider good for sleazy sales and marketing departments. PLEASE give us an OPTION to have your autoscale network throughput and a useful percent of total throughput like it had before.

5 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Different colors in files

Different Colors for various files in a folder to have a better overview of your files and documents.
                                        If you create a folder, in which you want to highlight several files, it would be an enormous help to be able to mark your files in various colors, so you can find them easier and have a better time organizing your documents

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Please keep same logic for control panel running app wuapp

I do updates PC / servers so many times that typing ms-config:windowsupdates rather than wuapp is boring, please keep these shortcuts in the Windows + R commands

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base