General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. After your update my computer abruptly shuts off. HP ran an hardware check and there is no hardware problem. YOU HAVE NO SUPPORT FOR THIS PR

After your update my computer abruptly shuts off. HP ran an hardware check and there is no hardware problem. YOU HAVE NO SUPPORT FOR THIS PROBLEM. WHY ????????????

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Scroll to Change The Wall

Nothing..lets give scroll up down button of mouse a work to change the desktop wallpaper if the user keeps on scrolling. The user can make a collection of wallpapers assigning each wallpaper a mood or can keep group of wallpapers in a different package of different moods..i think you are getting it what i mean, And then he dont need to always go through setting to change the wallpaper he just need to scroll up or down using mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. make it more intuitive. For normal everyday users. I know of many new Apple users who have been using PC's for years have given up on Apple

make it more intuitive for normal everyday users. I know of many new Apple users who have been using PC's for years have given up on Apple because of the confusing operating system. You need feedback from regular users, not nerds ! Make Siri more useful - not only to suggest answers but to provide solutions as well.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. LPD on Windows Server 2016

If there is no LPD what is alternative to this?

LPD helps for remote printing:

User Computer->Print Server->Another Print Server (with LPD Service listening on port 515 for incoming requests)->Printer

In above architecture assume "Another Print Server (with LPD Service listening on port 515 for incoming requests)" cannot be removed from architecture?

Without LPD how do I achieve the above?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Integrate Servicing Stack Updates (SSU) into Cumulative Updates (CU) so that we don't need to worry about installation order.

Periodically Microsoft releases an update to the Servicing Stack. As of this posting, the latest SSU for Server 2016 is KB4132216. These updates can throw off WSUS admins if they aren't applied before Cumulative Updates. Please simplify the update process by including the SSU update in the CU.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. windows 10 disk manager- extend volume does not appear

my local disk E of 450 MB with a system reserved of 16.1 MB and another area called Other of 399 MB ( not folders ) only 34 MB of free space, disk nearly full message all the time.
    disk manager extend volume does not appear, or I can't find it.
    I assume that increasing the size ( volume ) of disk E will resolve the problem. Could the area called Other be investigated in some way or be deleted of unknown things are in it ?? I'm not IT literate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Not able to add Notes / annotation on Hyper-V VM

Hello,

Is there any way possible to add Annotations on Newly created Hyper-V VM (either using Failover Cluster Manager OR Hyper-V Manager).

Annotations are the details which would be helpful to know the exact reason of creation of the Hyper-V VM.

Regards,
    Sud

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Remove Xbox Live related services from Server 2016

IMHO "Xbox Live Game Save" service left in a product aimed for corporate use is a bit embarrassing.

149 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Schedule what days full backups occur and what days incremental backups occur

It should be simple to schedule in the GUI what days FULL backups occur - e.g. Sunday and what days incremental backups occur - e.g. Monday -Saturday. Again this should be in the GUI - no scripts, no powershell.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hyper-V Replica Failover with running VMs

Hyper-V Replica Failover with running VMs. Eliminate the need to shutdown the VM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add file hash checking capability to Task Scheduler

Scheduled Tasks should have the ability to verify a file’s authenticity prior to executing. For example, if a Scheduled Task is executing a PowerShell script that is being run with an account that has Domain Admin rights, anyone that has access to modify the PowerShell script on the server essentially has Domain Admin rights.
    If there was an option added to the Scheduled Task setup where the owner could input the file hash of the PowerShell script and Task Scheduler checked the hash prior to executing the script, it would eliminate unauthorized changes.
    One example where this would stop malicious…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. More flexibility in Windows Server Backup Scheduling

Current daily only (or more frequent) schedules in Server Backup mean that this does not work well on larger servers where the maintenance mode initiated for large (TB) volumes can mean backup running almost continuously. If Server Backup could have ability to run backups less frequently and with multiple schedules without having to manually configure this as command-line jobs through Task Scheduler (i.e. every Tue @ 3am backup system volumes, daily backup fast moving data volumes, every week or even two weekly backup of slow moving TB volumes, etc.), this would make the built in capabilities much more applicable in…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Hybrid Search of File Server with Office 365.

I want to search files on on-pre file servers by Office 365 Search without SharePoint Server.

Office 365 Hybrid Search with SharePoint Server 2016 can search files in on-pre file servers.
    I want Office 365 Hybrid Search with Windows Search.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Remove insecure protocols from builtin VPN/Wifi

Default VPN/WiFi settings shouldn't allow insecure connections, nor allow users to override acceptable CAs for a connection without the user acknowledging that what they're doing is very risky.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. suomenkielinen windows ei toimi ohjeiden suhteen

suomenkielinen windows ei toimi ohjeiden suhteen esim. levynhallinta kirjaimen muuttaminen

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Improve Windows security

I propose that all remote and sharing programs be installable, but not installed until the user requests the functionality. They should be uninstallable down to the last registry entry and file. This is for single users who who are the superuser.

User should have settings stored, but not files.

Any files that 3rd parties want to install, should be installed into the 'Program files' area. No files or settings should go into the Windows area.

No future Windows version should allow 3rd party apps to access the internet directly.

All application that want to access the internet should go through…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. I was interested in an audio format to study on the road. Will this able me made available?

I was downloading the DOC for Getting started with Server 2016 and could not find an audio format, I would like to see this added for those that can not read or would like to study on the road.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. To improve Windows Server I suggest you get rid o this piece of **** win 10

Win 7 is great just update that and agree that you screwed up with 10

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. set a reminder in day/time clock

We have a clock (date/time) on every Windows system. I would like to see a reminder clock. Currently scheduling a task in a scheduler is tedious process. See if you like it.
    Thanks
    _Mayur Bagmar

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base