General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Disable Hardware Offloads By Default

The vast majority of issues I encounter in the Hyper-V community, are related to hardware offloads such as VMQ and ODX. Microsoft is relying on drivers and firmwares that OEMs are either releasing with incorrect default configurations (VMQ enabled on 1 GbE NICs) or buggy releases (ODX corrupting VHD/X files). And to be honest, I'm thinking of getting business cards printed with "turn off VMQ" and "turn off ODX" on them.

The customers blame Microsoft because "Hyper-V is buggy". It's time to shift the blame on OEMs and to stop giving us the tired line of "we're working with OEMs".…

29 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Dedupe on ReFS and Hyper-V non-VDI scenarioes...

Please please please add support for Dedupe on ReFS volumes! If you want us to start using the new filesystem then you really should implement Dedupe as well. Also support for Dedupe on other than VDI loads would really be nice. It works very well, so why not??

26 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Disable logon screen background image by default

On Windows Server 2016 Eval (with Desktop Experience), the background image of logon screen is enabled by default.

I feel it would be better to disable by default than to enable.I think such a feature is not needed on the server product and it's better to be simple and to minimize resources for non-service.

17 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Change Your Thinking

I recently downloaded Server 2016 from my VL portal, got it installed/configured for testing, and I just thought I would share my discontent with the product (or unimpressed is likely a better wording). This does not require any input from anyone, or have any questions that need to be answered.

I dislike that they removed the ability to convert from GUI to Core, or Core to GUI. That was a great feature! Sorry I am not a PowerShell guru, but these feature allowed me to be flexible. Add this back in! I read your reasoning online. Find a way to…

17 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Include support for Group Managed Service Accounts in Task Scheduler GUI

The GUI does not accept entering a gMSA as user for a scheduled task. This can only be done from PowerShell, and after doing that it is not possible to edit the task from GUI.

I would love to see gMSA support in the scheduled tasks GUI.

13 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Run group policy update silently when run from Group Policy Management

On Server 2012 when running Group Policy Update from within the Group Policy Management Console the update runs interactive on the targeted systems. This makes the feature pretty much obsolete as you can't run a group policy update in real time urgently if it means the perception of interfering with end users.

11 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• GPO for default programs

Edge is potentially awesome, but COMPLETELY unfinished at Win 10 RTM, and until finished, unusable. Even as a consumer, after hours, I can't use Edge because it doesn't support IE features I use.

This is the ONLY significant impediment to adopting Win 10, here.

I need to be able to set IE11 as the default browser through GPO until Edge can truly replace it.

Give me granular filetype/protocol selections and I'll only set IE11 as the default where I need it.

But give ME the control, or we will stay on Win 7 until Edge is finished.

6 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • update the default logo on Windows Server 2016 Essentials "mobile" browser to display Windows Server, rather than Windows Server 2012 R2.

i noticed when browsing to windows server 2016 essentials on my smartphone, the default logo displays "Windows Server 2012 R2", while the same page on my PC shows "Windows Server". perhaps the image needs to be updated for the mobile platform to match the desktop platform.

4 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Do not install windows defender by default on windows server

Windows Server 2016 shoulnd't have anti-malware enabled by default. Just had to reboot a production server 2 days after a clean install because AntiMaware was at 100% CPU for hours. Defender is already a memory hog, it shouldn't be enabled by default on servers.

3 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Server : Time Zone change log.

Hi,

When we change the system time zone,
                      It would be logged in System Log:
                      Event id 1:
                      Source : Kernel-General.

Details :
                      The system time has changed to ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30T07:02:56.704492900Z from ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30T07:02:56.704492900Z.

Change Reason: System time adjusted to the new time zone.

Issue:
                      The New time and the Old time are the same in the details which will not help much to know from which timezone it had been changed from .

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Finally, please describe for each executable (standalone & services) it's necessity to access the Internet

This is a security issue.

Hello

It's really strange that we use operating systems which do not describe its executables and their eligibility to access the internet.

If we monitor which programms access the internet on a Windows Machine, then we really often have to google for its executable name and just get informations like "we do'nt know what it does, but it is probably safe to allow internet access".

Therefore, please:
                        1) Finally, create a professional application & service architecture. No, to route everything over svchost.exe is not a secure design. Not at all.

2) Finally, create a datasheet…

2 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Kontakte in Kontaktgruppen nach Nachnamen sortieren und nicht nach Emailadressen

Die Kontakte in Kontaktgruppen werden nach Emailadressen sortiert und nicht nach den Nachnamen. Das ist mehr als unübersichtlich.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Implement total file security for all computers connectd

I have a conceptual idea of how to secure all the communication, files, and computing resources without the regards where the resources are located. Basically, this would allow to control access to any file on the accessible network or a cloud using the infrastructure/code idea that I have in mind.

I had several conversation with the business owners about the security of the data (files and etc) when it comes to employees parting with the companies or trying to sabotage the resources. Business owners need total control of the data and preclude those leaving the company to copy the data…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Support c++ dll build in VS 2008 toolset to work in 2016 server OS.

It was found that the c++ dll which was build using VS 2008 toolset was causing problem when deployed in Windows 2016 server . The dependency walker shows missing dll errors ( few are given below) which i suppose is misleading.

API-MS-WIN-CORE-LOCALIZATION-L2-1-0.DLL
                              API-MS-WIN-SECURITY-BASE-L1-2-0.DLL
                              API-MS-WIN-CORE-HEAP-L1-2-0.DLL
                              API-MS-WIN-CORE-DELAYLOAD-L1-1-1.DLL
                              API-MS-WIN-POWER-SETTING-L1-1-0.DLL

The same dll runs in Windows 2008 and windows2012 server .
                              When the dll was build with VS 2013 toolset every thing started working.
                              Re-building the existing dll in VS 2013 toolset and deploying has huge test effort.

so My suggestion is to provide support for dlls which are built in VS2008 toolset in…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Bug: Backups stop working after about a month using windows server backup. I lose the System and hyper-v writers.

Only way to recover is a reboot. On a Hyper-v server this is not acceptable.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • How about create a new device

How about create a new device just connect to the internet and you can use a microsoft windows and office or you can install other product and store all you data but on cloud technology
                                    its a small device you can use it on your tv something like intel usb stick but its work on cloud.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• ein maus für mehr als ein pc

ich habe mehrere pcs zu hause und ich bin kein touchpadfan, deswegen damit ich die alle bedienen, muß ich für jedes gerät eine Maus anschließen, das ist finde ich mit sehr viel aufwand verbunden.
                                      ich finde es einfacher eine Muas für alle.....die Idee ist einfach und simple, man baut in der maus ein schalter und da kann man steuern, mit was für gerät man gerade arbeitet.....

0 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base