General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bureau a distance

Je me sert de bureau a distance car je dois travailler sur mes deux ordi mais au bout de quelques seconde je tombe inactif sur l'ordinateur hôte nous devrions avoir la possibilité de laisser bureau a distance actif tout le temps j'ai cherché une solution pendant deux jours sans trouver, je suis a la maison et j'ai trois ordis donc pour la sécurité il n'y a pas de problème.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please I Am Trying To Recover My Gmail salemhill2462@gmail.com,Please HelpMe To Recover It

I Have Been Trying For Weeks To Recover My Old Gmail account That I Have Had For Years On Google,I Have All My Info,Everyone Knows This Gmail It Is salemhill2462@gmail.com,How Can I Get It Back,This Other Account Is Useless To me As Know one Knows it,Please Help Me Get It Back,Ty Carol Murray

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. windowsupdateprovider needs documentation

the build in module windowsupdateprovider has no online help. and no downloaded help

so No examples or how to use it.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. How the **** do you update the help in powershell?

I tried to run Get-Help on a command in PS and it said I didn't have the help. So I tried running Update-Help and it fails to get the help docs I need. ONLY Microsoft could: 1) Fail to include help 2) **** up the process of getting the help and then do nothing about it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Initiate SCCM Wake-on-LAN from the Secondary Site Servers/DPs.

Request for Wake-on-LAN (WoL) to be initiated from the Secondary Site Servers and DPs. Currently only the Primary Servers are able to initiate WoL but due to certain security concerns and geographical challenges, multicast and unicast broadcasts is either not permitted or limited. These limitations prevents the Primary Server to wake up clients at remote locations. If WoL traffic is initiated on the Site Servers and DPs, the WoL traffic will remain within their respective local networks while maintaining a security posture by blocking external unicast and multicast traffic.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Simplify Naive user process. For example, the icons on my Windows 10 screen sometimes are blank, or I would like to add one

I should be able to post my own new funcction, change the name (or make one that has gone boank

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I get constant Microsoft demands to enter "my password". Which of my passwords do you mean.? Make it clear

I have multiple passwords for Window 10 and other Micdrosoft products, global, pins even finger touch. When Microsoft demans a "password you should make it clear
    Which One and that the popup should be clearly stated

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. For Active Directory Certificate Services (MS ADCS), add MS SQL Server (at a minimum) as an option for the CA database

The JET database format is old, non-resilient, suffers from bloating problems due to an inability to automatically reclaim space and requires the CA database to be stored on a 'local' disk. In addition, it only allows flat file backup and does not support 'replay' or other recovery features.

It's high time ADCS was bought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century by allowing at least MS SQL to be used as a proper backend relational database. This would then allow proper resiliency to be built into the database, recovery using transaction logs (potentially no more lost, unmanageable certificates due to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support for Network Policy Server (NPS) Role on Server Core

Network Policy Server is an infrastructure services role much like ADDS, ADCS, DNS, and DHCP.

We need to have support for this role added to Server Core. Requiring a GUI for this role means more patches, wasted CPU cycles and wasted memory.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. option "Shutdown" qui attent qu'aucun utilisateur ne soit connecté (session, SMB, HTTP, FTP)

"Shutdown.exe" (ou PS: "Restart-Computer") ne permet pas de demander un reboot sous la condition qu'aucune session utilisateur ne soit ouverte. Cela serait très bien pour les serveurs RDS/remoteApp/AppV.
    Deux autre conditionne possible : l'absence de connexions SMB (share) pour les serveur de fichier (DFS) ou absence de connexions IIS (HTTP, FTP).
    Merci pour ses évolutions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create search button in "services.msc"

Create search button in "services.msc" in Windows Server versions

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. RDS in 2016 looks awfully complicated ...it certainly isn't Citrix

I have just reviewed the setup for RDS, it looks horribly complex...it certainly does not look like the easy setup with Citrix... Where are wizards? Where are even examples to show who you do things like present apps to desktops?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hot

Muka Lu Kaya Kontol!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dedicated Event Log for Windows Firewall Activity (pfirewall.log in the event logs)

A dedicated Windows Event log for Windows Firewall activity - like pfirewall.log provides - would make centralized logging and reporting much easier and lead to greater adoption of the built in firewall. IPSec logging to the security Event Log is not a robust answer, as it causes too much log churn for most enterprises.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Additional filtering capabilties to applicable GET-AD* CmdLets

Select parameter to return a count of the "-first x" objects or "-last x" objects
    Filters should support regular expression format
    Filters should support "-match" for regular expression format

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Group Policy > Preferences > Files > Action: Update

It's a shame that until today that group policy setting doesn't let us update the file based on the "LastWriteTime" attribute.
    I have seen a lot of complains about that misunderstood setting.
    Please consider on changing the action or to add a new one, that will help so many admins ou there!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. No gold for free games

This isn't necessarily for windows, actually its for the Xbox one. I think that making people pay for Xbox live gold for free games isn't the best idea, honestly I believe that making people do this would draw people towards other console that have paid online services but still allow you play free games for free. This is done both on the Nintendo switch and the PS4. Thank you for taking out of your time to read this, and I hope you implement this onto the console in an update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support for Controlled Folder Access

Windows 10 offers the feature of "Controlled Folder Access", where only specific executables are allowed to make modifications to specified paths.

This same feature should be available in Windows Server.

The use-case I have in mind is a backup application. The application backs up data (either from the local server, or multiple remote servers). Data is written to a volume (within the backup application, this is generally referred to as a "Library").

Now, if the server were to become infected with ransomware, the backup data would be encrypted, and restores would no longer be possible.

Using Controlled Folder Access would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base