General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. add Remote Desktop client Universal Resource Identifier (URI) scheme support to Windows 10

The page at...
    Remote Desktop client Universal Resource Identifier (URI) scheme support
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/remote-desktop-uri

...describes the feature, but it isn't supported on Windows. Now that we have the Remote Desktop modern app, Windows should handle the URI scheme by default too, perhaps when the Remote Desktop modern app is installed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. enable rdp cookies in the android and Mac remote desktop clients

The remote desktop client on Mac and Android doesn't send an rdp cookie containing the username - this makes load balancing on older rdp servers and gateways impossible since the user cannot be tracked.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Feedback is in regards to the "AD FS Rapid Restore Tool". This should come as windows update, accessory to ADFS.

"AD FS Rapid Restore Tool" , it is a great tool and should come as a windows update instead of coming as a download option. "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/ad-fs-rapid-restore-tool" great article but not even a single review? How is it possible that no one had seen this and reviewed?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. VMConnect: RDP: CTRL+ALT+BREAK (Toggle Windows Mode / Fullscreen): broken

Good evening

In RDP, we can use CTRL+ALT+BREAK to toggle the Remote Desktop Window between Window and Full Screen mode.

This Hotkey worked in VMConnect, too and it's a well known Hotkey:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/learn-more/hyper-v-virtual-machine-connect

In the latest Hyper-V Release this function is broken: VMConnect does not switch to full Screen Mode, it just moves the RDP Toolbar.

It's annoying, that:
    » M$ does not automatically test such basic functions which almost never will change (and therefore it's great to automatically test it) before a new release is deployed to many millions of customers.

» M$ does not display the most basic…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. How to control or limitation the checkpoint limitation in hyper-v

We need to control the checkpoint limitation for developer or end users. Also, ensure that recent checkpoint details, How and when it's created.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Microsoft shold have a tools who helps IT

Microsoft should have a tools for Windows server to help ITs select there's needs for example Windows Server 2016 has tons of roles and services none of remember all roles. If there a tools help people for example I ask the tool i need something for policy tool answer GPO or maybe choices you can select things you need and the tools gives you what server and service role you need.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. available updates for Honolulu from SCCM and not from Windows Update

regarding honolulu: Are you planning something to be able to see the available updates distributed through SCCM and not from Windows Update

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. smtp in 1709

With Office 365, the need for a on-premise SMTP Server for relaying from on-premise devices that send email is pretty high. Having SMTP Server in the lightweight Windows Server 1709 would seem to be a desireable feature

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add basic image editing to snipping tool

Snipping tool would really benefit from basic image editing options like drawing straight lines squares or circles to highlight or emphasise parts of the captured screen section. Similar to MS Paint drawing capabilities.
    Would be really great if that functionality would be added or at least a button to open the snip inside image editor like MS Paint.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Give option to uncheck "Automatically upgrade any superseded version of this application" for Available deployments to Device Collections

Give SCCM administrators the option to uncheck "Automatically upgrade any superseded version of this application" for Available deployments to Device Collections. This option is available for user collection deployments, which makes no sense on why you would not give the same option on Available deployments to Device Collections. The option is grayed out and there is no way to uncheck it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please include the same accessibility support in to Windows Server Core as in the rest of Windows. I am blind and need Narrator.

Include Narrator or maybe a program on Windows 10 to allow configuration of a new server core installation over the same network. The problem is that I am a completely blind network systems engineer and I require access to Server core. Microsoft has made great increases in their accessibility on the client side but they have never considered the needs of blind technology professionals on the server side.I don't know how Narrator could be available directly on Server Core or if it could be some kind of add-on that worked over RDP or if there coud be some kidn of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Bring the kinect to Windows mixed reality for full body tracking

Bring this to vr so it can be new and great

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Windows 2012 teaming have any inspection mechanism to check if one of NIC got network Problem

The "teaming" NIC maybe connected, but the network connection not work well. If we have some rule to check network connection.Maybe customer worn't get server network issue.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel sheet notification to person that occupies my sheets

Is it possible to ensure a way of communicating with the person who is using my excel sheet? I was just about to open the file I created and one of my colleques seems to use it already. Unfurtunately it is urgend and the excel notification that states that I can open a copied version until my excel sheet is available again leaves me only with the option to get myself notified when the sheet is available again. It would be amazing to allow to send a message to that person using my file, unfortunately the person who is using…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Policy Analyzer Toolkit Open Source?

I am reading about the Policy Analyzer. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2016/10/22/policy-analyzer-v3-1-pre-release

Microsoft has been moving more projects open source into Git. Has there been any discussions about making this tool open? I imagine the community might be able to make some meaningful contributions. Based on the comments in this post there is lots of interest on this topic!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Console interface

This belongs to Win10 Home and Pro but i cant find the link to it.

It would be great if theres an application for Win10 Home and Pro, which behaves and looks like an xbox one. I want to use my computer with my tv and wireless controller, just like a regular console.

- starting and shutting down the computer and games and steam, uplay,...
    - no mouse and keyboard needed
    - controlling absolutely everything with the controller
    - one-click-switch to change between computer- and console-mode

That would be great

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Print Spooler Isolation

Ever since Windows server 2012 we have had printer driver isolation, but there is a need for print spooler isolation. This would allow for an individual spooler for a printer to be stopped and the jobs deleted without affecting all other printers on the print server. This could be done in a method where the main print spooler service spawns child instances for each print and then through an api you would be able to stop and start these child instances.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make the eraser in OneNote more efficient

Hello everbody,

if I wrote something with the Apple Pencil or another Stylus on my iPad Pro and i want to erase something, it would be great if it is possilbe to select a color that i want to erase. The option to make the eraser bigger or smaller would be great, too.

Best regards,

Alex

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base