General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WSUS server Windows 20H2 detect and report

Please,
    update WSUS and Update agents to correctly show new 19.042.572 (20H2)in WSUS management console. Need it for Inventory and Esset management. Thanx :D

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. allow UDP tracert because Verizon has done something with their network and your current Tracert only shows 2 hops.

Currently Tracert only shows 2 hops on Verizon Fios networks. There were many more before they changed their settings. UDP traceroute on Linux and Unix have no problem. Change your tracert to allow configuration for UDP rather than ICMP. It's hard to use current tracert to determine what's wrong when most of the hops don't show up.

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Allow us to hard set network location profile

Network Location Awareness is very useful feature on desktops. Particularly in the current climate of people taking machines home, having them detect "Public" networks is useful.

However, it is nearly unheard of for a Windows Server to be picked up and taken to an untrusted network. Instead of the benefits of this feature, there are many reasons wherein a server may decide it's in a public network and firewall itself from access. This will, for example, prevent a file server sharing files, or an Exchange server accepting email. If this occurs to Domain Controllers, it will trigger all other servers…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. ConfigStoreRootPath & SharedStoragePath Path Change

Both the ConfigStoreRootPath and SharedStoragePath locations under a hyper-v cluster cannot currently be amended after they are initially set so if you move the cluster storage to another storage array with different volume names you either have to:
    1.) recreate the whole cluster to change locations of these values.
    2.) rename the volumes to the old paths and then change all corresponding virtual machine paths or
    3.) Create a small volume with the same name and path as already set for both ConfigStoreRootPath & SharedStoragePath.

It seems completely bizarre that such a well documented limitation has not be addressed by…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. remote desktop port

Remote Desktop > Advanced Settings is extremely user-unfriendly for changing the RDP port.

I correctly shows my current port number, and it has a link for changing the port number. It redirects to a very technical link [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/change-listening-port] that surely scares a lot of people into doing that.

There should be an input box for setting the new port number, and after changing that it should restart the service without needing to restart the operating system.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. RDP for Windows Desktop

A box beside the default / current listening port (3389) to change the port number on Windows computers instead of modifying the registry manually.

Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Kerberos using AES still not working where it should

Establish a two-way forest trust.

Try to establish Remote Desktop Connection from a computer in one forest to a computer in another forest, with an account that is a member of “Protected Users” security group. The connection will fail if the computer (from where you’re trying to establish RDP connection) does not have “RC4HMACMD5” kerberos encryption type enabled (i.e. it only has “AES256HMACSHA1” enabled).

On the other hand, if the user that is trying to establish Remote Desktop Connection is using an account that is NOT a member of “Protected Users” security group, and only AES…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. server 2019 cluster documentation

We're two years+ since the release of Server 2019 and no documentation updates for Server 2019 Clustering. I feel as if you took my momeny and ran. There is no improvement in Cluster Management or the upgrade process can't be documented so we can keep our cluster on the latest supported operating system?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. DNS Load balancing in active/passive mode

How to configure DNS Load Balancing in active/passive mode guys?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/dns/deploy/app-lb-geo

• here are some types of balancing but not active/passive mode(((

Thanks for your response)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Install driver for microsoft 8.1 64 bit

Die Problembehandlung hat ergeben dass Windows Update für Windows 8.1 64 Bit keine Treiber installiert. Daher Probleme mit, PCI, Drucker, USB 2.0.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Requalifications

Reapprove from disqualified

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. hyper V VM assign virtual monitor /screen to virtual machine

enable function to assign virtual monitor /screen to virtual machine. because some of app required monitor/screen to function properly

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I need support for OpenSSH v. 8.2p1 or newer

Do you plan to support OpenSSH v. 8.2p1 or newer? I need it to connect to servers using Yubikey Security Keys.
    Yours,
    Peter Raabye

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Group Policy to set Scheduled Task to run as Interactive (S-1-5-4)

Hi,
    the ability to set a Scheduled Task by Group Policy that targets Interactive (S-1-5-4) would be very useful.

One is able to create the policy, but the policy fails to create the task

[pid=0x620,tid=0x1170] There was a failure so the run once filter was rolled back. [ hr = 0x80041318 "The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range." ]
    [pid=0x620,tid=0x1170] Error suppressed. [ hr = 0x80041318 "The task XML contains a value which is incorrectly formatted or out of range." ]

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please add support for Get, Add, Replace, Delete item for OMA-URI value to Account CSP

Please add support for OMA-URI values for https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/accounts-csp

Currently it only supports Add and not even GET. That creates some false positive on the Intune MDM side that shows the profile failed but the OMA-URI values are written but because of the GET function is not supported, it showing as failed.

please help to add Get, Add, Replace and Delete function for these OMA-URI

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Stop installing Windows with the Exemption already made in the Firewall?

Its not an idea its a fact. Its makes the OS more prone to attacks. Why would there be exemptions for wireless setups. I don't have a wireless device. I don't want to access my computer remotely. I makes it more simple for someone to though. I don't use AllJoyn Router. Windows 10 is garbage. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Dont see much that got any better than Windows 7. As a matter of fact yall made it more complicated and even more annoying? Why? It was already annoying as . Most just throw their computer in

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "add forest" in group policy management does not work unless RC4 is enabled

We have two-way forest trust established and would like to manage group policy for both forests from one server.

On a member server where Group Policy Management console is installed, these encryption types are enabled in “Network security: Configure encryption types allowed for Kerberos“:
    AES256HMACSHA1
    Future encryption types

When I try to add another forest to Group Policy Management console (open “Group Policy Management” console, right click on “Group Policy Management”, click on “Add forest…”, enter domain name and then click “OK”), a message “Access is denied.” pops up.

If I enable “RC4HMACMD5” on the server…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add pen pressure sensitivity when working remotely from Apple to Microsoft Remote Desktop.

It would be great that instead of a pen registering as touch on Windows Remote Desktop, it registered an actual pen. Especially working from home - would be great to use the technology I already have instead of needing to go out and buy another machine just to use the pen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. GPO to schedule KrbTgt (Golden Ticket) password reset

We need a fully automated way to reset the KrbTgt (Golden Ticket) password. This is not a manually created or managed account thus the system should manage it's password. Currently, by default, the password would never change. If you want to change the password it is not as simple as a normal password change event.

I want a GPO that controls the schedule of KrbTgt (Golden Ticket) password reset. It should default to every 6 months. This would make the default configuration of domain controllers much more secure.

This would be in line with the guidance found in the following…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base