General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Windows server images should not install deskop services such as Maps, One sync

Windows server should have the option to NOT install desktop services which are very unlikely to be used in a corporate environment these include Maps, Onsync, and XBox. Not only do they appear to be unnecessary they cause false positives with system monitoring software.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support full in-place upgrade

I believe it would help a lot of organizations if in-place upgrade of Windows Server to newer builds was fully supported. With the change of release schedule it would make it easier for smaller organizations and one-box setups to stay up to date.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 2016, WDS, Deduplication: Option to disable RES.WIM usage

A bit of history here. Windows Deployment Services has been around for quite a number of years, and it uses a file-based deduplication mechanism to conserve disk space.

When we capture an image with WDS, what it is actually doing is creating hashes for all files on the disk and then checking to see if those hashes are present in RES.WIM. Any hashed files not present in RES.WIM are copied up to the server, added to RES.WIM, and then the disk image itself is just a list of hashes to pull out of RES.WIM to reconstruct the image.

Without deduplication,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Win10/Hyper-V: Don't enable auto checkpoint by default

This setting is useless and just causes performance issues. If people want to take a checkpoint they can already just click "Checkpoint". At the very least there should be an option to disable this by default. Its frustrating to have to do it on an individual VM basis.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Edit Local Computer Policy settings from the command line

Need support for editing Local Computer Policy settings (including those defined in the Administrative Templates) from the command line or Power Shell so that updates can be scripted.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remove all in-box dependancies on WOW64 (e.g. - misexec.exe)

I've been experimenting with removing WOW64 support from servers. There have been several instances where I've had to reinstall it for operations that have very little to do with the actual server function. The most common scenario is installing MSIs like System Center agents. After the installation is complete I can remove WOW64 and the server operates perfectly. Why can't we just have a native x64 Windows Installer?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Domain functional level does not show 2016

When I raised domain/forest functional level from 2012R2 to 2016 (successfully), my domain and forest functional level show "Windows Server". In the past it would usually say "Windows Server 2012 R2" or something like that. I know it is running as Windows Server 2016 because when I look at the attribute msDS-Behavior-Version it shows 7 (WIN2016). I am wondering is there something that went wrong with my upgrade or Windows Server 2016 does not show number for the domain and forest level?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. For Active Directory Certificate Services (MS ADCS), allow numbers greater than 999 to be entered in the Role Installation wizard.

When specifying the validity period for a Root CA, although the period can be changed to days, months, weeks or years, the value has a maximum value of 999. This is useless when it is necessary to accurately specify a number of days when the Root CA certificate should be valid for beyond 999 days etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. For Active Directory Certificate Services (MS ADCS), fix the Certification Authority console so that AIA/CDP fields can be edited!

Currently, using the Certification Authority MMC, AIA/CRL fields can only be deleted/added via the CDP/AIA tabs. There should also be an 'edit' button such that these entries can be edited.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. OneSyncSvc

We support WS2016 for a few SMB's, with tightly controlled RDS environments for business-only applications. We understand One Sync being potentially useful in this environment. A recent update turned this service on by default. Sure we can fix it, but possibly from a a security aspect, minimising attack surface, yadayada, this may not be an optimal default.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Lower the priority of "automatic maintenance" (tiworker.exe)

Every now and then after a server restart, tiworker.exe jumps to 100% CPU usage for a long time, effectively DOS-ing single-processor servers.

Google (or bing) for "automatic maintenance" tiworker.exe for lots of reports on this issue, including blog posts of people recommending to disable this task.

My suggestion would be to lower that task's priority by default ("below normal" works well based on my tests): 30 minutes of background maintenance and a responsive server is much better than 15 minutes of background maintenance and a server which is practically unusable during that time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Update von Build legt Rechner für Stunden lahm!

Ich habe ein paar Ideen um Windows 10 und Windows 10 Mobil noch besser zu machen.

1. Das größte Problem im Windows 10 und Windows 10 Mobil ist das automatische Update ohne Angabe der Dateigröße und der Zeit für die Installation. Update von Build oder App-Update legt Rechner für Stunden lahm!

2. Windows 10 Mobil hängt sich auf und das Smartphone sollte zurückgesetzt werden. Alle Daten auf dem Smartphone sind weg, sowas geht nicht in der Arbeitswelt.

3. Die Sicherheit ist bei Firmen sehr wichtig, darum muss klar sein wo die Daten liegen und teilweise kommt eine Cloudlösung nicht in Frage, weil die Daten nichts auf einem fremden System zu suchen haben. Man kann durch…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Energy Managment for Notebook

I think it makes sense for notebooks the energy performance in battery and mains operation to separate . For example, running the laptop on AC power to power mode . When disconnecting the power supply , it will then automatically depending on the setting in the power saving mode or Balanced .Please sorry my English... ;-)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. I cannot update

I cannot update

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Windows Storage Migration Service on Windows Server 2019 Essentials

Please also enable Essentials to use Windows Storage Migration Service for migrating from Older SBS Servers 2008/2011 and Essentials 2012/2012R2/2016 to new Server 2019 (incl. Essentials Version)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Please allocate more space to the C: drive when upgrading to Windows 10. I don't need a secondary partition.

I have a lot of space I cannot use because you partitioned only 116 GB of space to my C drive on a 900 GB hard disk drive. Because the unallocated space is not contiguous to the C drive I cannot extend the C drive to include the additional space. This causes frequent occurrences of lack of disk space when operating the comptuer. Can you please fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Persistent Windows Server Pool

I work with RDS Servers and since 2012, it is usually better to go into the Server Manager to do anything. What I don't understand is why I must repeatedly re-add servers to the Server Pool every time II need to do anything. Between the different Roles, I can have 7-8 servers in the RDS Collection, but find that one time I must add all non-localhost servers and the next I need add only one. Why can't the Server Pool be made persistent so that once I create the pool, I don't have to re-add servers?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Your instructions for installing a new disk are excellent and thorough. But strangely my problem is never mentioned.

Your instructions for installing a new disk are excellent and thorough. But strangely my problem is never mentioned.

I am trying to install a brand new Samsung 860 SSD DISK into a Windows 10 system. It connected easily into the slot. But the File Explorer never shows that it exists.

All other information is accurate and up-to-date with a properly operating Win 10 system.

No instructions are given for this eventuality. Your instructions never discuss this possibility. Can you indicate troubleshooting measures for this problem?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. after about 1/4 century: gpresult: please display the value as readable text

Hello

it's a shame, very annyoing, error-prone and therefore a safety risk that gpresult thisplay this result:

GPO: Default Domain Policy

Folder Id: Software\Policies\Microsoft\W32time\Parameters\NtpServer
    Value: 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 123, 0, 0, 0
    State: Enabled

Could you finally start offering tools as they should be?

Thanks a lot
    kind regards,
    Thomas

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Update ADMT to be able to migrate Windows Apps

We are currently waiting for Windows 10 to be fully supported within ADMT. We can migrate the user, system but all complete with errors regarding Windows store apps. I do not want to fork out extra $$ just because Microsoft hasn't updated their basic tool yet. If we could migrate properly we would have bought more CALs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base