General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WSUS on Win2012: Fix issue that causes Windows Server 2016 clients OS to be listed as "Windows (Version 10)"

When using WSUS on Windows 2012 (WSUS 4.x), the WSUS console incorrectly lists Windows Server 2016 clients with Operating System "Windows (Version 10)". This is confusing to customers, and causes them concerns related to reporting, as well as the ability to update Win2016 clients with WSUS on Windows 2012.

This issue does not occur with WSUS on Windows 2016, where Windows Server 2016 clients are listed with Operating System as "Windows Server 2016 <edition>".

8 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Bug : Task Scheduler Repeat Calendar Trigger

Scheduled tasks on Windows Server 2016, with a Repeat Calendar Trigger, do not appear to start after restarting the server.
      The date of departure being exceeded there is no more triggering. The date of the next trigger is correct but nothing happens.
      The manual trigger works correctly.
      To reactivate trigger it is necessary to set a later date on the current date.

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Bug: Task Scheduler CalendarTrigger Repetition not working in Server 2016TP5

Scheduled tasks on the current TP5 of Windows Server 2016, which have a CalendarTrigger with repetition configured, don't seem to trigger and cannot be started manually.
        The same trigger without repetition (e.g. after unchecking the "Repeat task every:" checkbox in taskschd.msc) works correctly.
        A TimeTrigger with the same repetition configuration works, too.
        taskschd.msc calculates and displays the next runtime correctly.

When I try to start such a task manually in taskschd.msc, a message box appears (running any other task works):
        de-DE: "Der Aufgabenplanungsdienst ist nicht verfügbar. Die Aufgabenplanung wird erneut versuchen, eine Verbindung herzustellen."
        en-US: "Task Scheduler service is not…

5 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Server core version of Windows server 2016 doesn't support DFSR static port assignment.

Server core version of Windows server 2016 doesn't support DFSR static port assignment.

DFSRDiag.exe and DFSR powershell are not available to assign static port to DFSR in server core version

5 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bug: TP5: Notepad.exe often crashes when closing text files

Repro 1:
            1) browse around the file system or any zip files, double click on any .txt files you find to read them.
            2) Click 'X' in the top right of notepad to close out of notepad.

Repro 2:
            1) open explorer and click on "Documents" in the treeview to show your documents (and a folder you should definitely have permissions to).
            2) In the area showing your folders and files, right click and choose to create a new text document. (I named it test.txt)
            3) Double click the new text file and add some text. (I wrote "hello")
            4)…

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Wifi crashes explorer in TP5

When you click on the wireless network that you want to use, your previously entered Wifi password WPA key is not remembered and needs to be entered every time you reboot. That's not all, however after I click enter after typing in my password, the network settings window crashes and creates dump file everytime, Explorer is the application that crashes after entering my Wifi password.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Group Policy Autoplay doesn't work with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10

First of all, sorry my poor English. Recently my customer bought two Windows Server 2016 Standard and I have a general group policy to disable autoplay and autorun in all computers in this network. Of course, I have an Active Directory implemented with two DCs, one with W2K8R2 and another with W2K12R2. I´ve downloaded the new ADMX files for Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 "www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430&quot; and created a Central Store and I made all steps recomended by Microsoft. This Group Policy works well in all versions of Windows 2012/8.1 and below, but doesn´t work in Windows version…

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bug: memory usage shown by task manager is wrong

Bug: memory usage shown by task manager is wrong.
                  Memory usage displayed by the task manager is wrong (by factor 1000 too low compared with real). Resource monitor displays the values correctly. English OS and system locale, german regional formats.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix change password bug

Cross-posted from Technet forums:

I think we've identified a bug in Server 2016. Long story short:
                    1. Open lusrmgr.msc
                    2. Set an active users' properties to require password change at next logon
                    3. Reboot (or just logout, haven't tried that)
                    4. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to logon, enter user's current password
                    5. Press Cancel when informed you need to change your password
                    6. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del again, enter user's current password, proceed 7. with password change (notice username is blank at this point)
                    8. Password gets changed but you are returned to the change password screen with no way to go back or…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Logs of printing

Hi,
                        1) since 2012 we can't see in logs the names of printed documents. We, as a company, would like to control print flow in our company. we would like to know which documents were printed. Please return this inforamtion in logs.

2) event id 805 includes information about amount of copies of printed document. but regardless of how many copies were printed, logs always contains only one copy. Please fix it.

because of these bugs we have to install "heavy" third-party applications for print accounting instead of using the "light" Windows features.

thank you!

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bug: Narrow start menu cuts off shutdown/restart reason dialog box

On Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5, if the Start menu is sized to its narrowest (i.e., without space for live tiles), the 'Continue' button in the reason for shutdown/restart dialog is inaccessible (cropped at the edge of the Start menu).

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Services aren't started after a reboot

It seems that on Windows Server 2016 TP5 services configured on Automatic aren't started after a reboot. This happens with third party services and can be tested by adding a service yourself with sc.exe.

In the event viewer these two events are placed:

Event ID: 7000, The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.
                            Event ID: 7009, A timeout was reached (30000 milliseconds) while waiting for the service to connect.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Eliminate Invalid redirected printers that may be available in a Remote Desktop Services session that connects to a RD Session Host server

A hotfix was created by Microsoft to prevent further leaked redirected printers from accumulating in the registry. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2620656
                              Unfortunately, according to the script provided in that KB article the hotfix only deals with the redirected printers that have "session" in the name. The issue is that Microsoft changed this a long time ago to now have "redirected" in the name instead as well as the format of the name being different.
                              This means that the redirected printers with the new name format are still being leaked in the registry causing the same issue. Note that this is also proven simply…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Storage Replica Partnership is un-removable

I tried to implement Storage Replica (Server-to-Server), Once It sets up the partnership, I could not remove the partnership to bring live the destination drive. The error message says that "There is no Partnership between both servers" but I confirm it has with get-srpartnership cmdlet.

Destination drive is totally unmountable even via Diskpart.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• VPN IKEv2

Hi,
                                  since 2012 VPN IKEv2 doesn't work.
                                  i tried on Windows Server 2016 TP5 - still doesn't work.
                                  It works after first configuration, then i restart server to check how it will work after restart - it doesn't work any more.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows server 2016 has the wrong version number when retrieving it by SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0

Retrieving the server version by SNMP returns the wrong version number for Windows 2016 Server. I'm getting "6.3" instead of the expected "10.0". Using SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 to retrieve the version.

Please fix

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • 1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base