General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 93 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

24 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please make Windows Server compliant with containers, otherwise the OS is useless

legacy systems needs to go to cloud

.NET and Win32 softwares will be around for long time, for sure..

why container? 1nd

Large systems with decades of code written, composed by 3rd party components can not be changed right away. So containerizing monoliths, are one important step on the jorney to the cloud

why container? 2st

I'm newbie, but as far as I know, the whole thing about containers is ship it as image once and run it everywhere, with environment isolation and integrity.. right?!

the issue

There is no way to properly set globalization settings like Time Zone,…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Robocopy (windows 10 (2004, 19041.388) not Removes the specified attributes from copied files

I prepare batch script to copy files and it works months. But after update to windows 10 (2004, 19041.388) it can't access to folder. As i found: robocopy flag /a-:[RASHCNET] Removes the specified attributes from copied files. not work.

In help (/?) there now no such flag:

/A+:[RASHCNET] :: Добавлять заданные атрибуты скопированным файлам.

/A+:[RASHCNET] :: Удалять заданные атрибуты из скопированных файлов.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. "3D Object" folder missing from GPO ( Folder Redirection Mechanism )

In GPO Folder Redirection Mechanism ( User Configuration --> Policies --> Windows Settings --> Folder Redirection ), there is "3D Object" Folder. This "3D Object" folder appears to be new with Windows 10

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. RDSH role breaks Windows Search

Hello,

on a fresh installed and fully patched Windows Server 2019 Std if I enable RDSH role the Windows Search stops working.

Windows Search service looks good and eventlog shows no errors but Indexing Options shows no locations enabled for indexing and I am unable to add them

Things I have already tried

1 - Windows Search service restart

2 - Server restart

3 - Rebuild Index

4 - Enable Windows Search feature

5 - DISM ad SFC

6 - Windows Troubleshoot - shows incorrect permission on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data folder but is unable to fix them. If I manually fix those…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. ADFS Farm install

Please update documentation to state
    "When installing an ADFS farm, the PDC emulator must be contactable"

Otherwise the install will fail with a generic error. Try it and yo will see.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Repair the bug in Microsoft Access Database engine 2010

The KB4484126 and KB4484238 introduce a critical bug in Microsoft Access Database engine 2010.
    On Windows Server 2012, IIS App Pools running Access MDB databases are constantly crashing with these KB installed.
    Experiences on many production-level websites, running under 32-bit App Pools.
    Once these KB's are removed, IIS App Pools stop crashing, and are back to a normal state.
    The cure is worse than the CVE cause.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. The syntax of the command is incorrect.

help me please..

C:\App>ren
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.

C:\App>rename
    The syntax of the command is incorrect.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [bug] RDS clipboard not working if disk mapping disabled

I just found out that in Windows Server 2016 and 2019 if you disable disable option to allow mapping local Disk then clipboard is not working.

As for now i never needed to restrict RDS to only support clipboard so i didn't catch this but i think this is a big issue.

SO if you have configuration like in attachment then rdclipt won't start and you cannot user clipboard between client and server :/

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Need clarification on "Configure browsers to use Windows Integrated Authentication (WIA) with AD FS"

I am facing an issue where I have enabled the SSO with ADFS . I am able to do sso login from Mozila and Chrome but IE 11 is not letting me logged in with sso. IE keep asking for credentials so many times(ADFS LDAP user's credentials) and failing . From this doc I have tried to configure the browser to use WIA by configuring the AD FS property WiaSupportedUserAgents to add the required values based on the browsers. But still I am facing the same issue. as checked in the below command I can see that IE 11 is…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Cmd fails to restore window title after nested batch file

Normally when you run a batch file or other program from the command prompt the title of the console window changes to include the name of the batch file while it's running, such as "Command Prompt - testbatch".

But after it runs the following batch file (testbatch.bat which chains to testbatch2.bat) it never changes it back, even though it has run to completion. So if you run it three times you end up with "Command Prompt - testbatch - testbatch - testbatch" as the title.

To reproduce, create the following two files and run "testbatch" from the command prompt multiple…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix OAuth Token URL For ADFS Authentication

When authenticating to a pool (Fall 2019 release) via ADFS, the scope= parameter is specified twice (example below) which are reported as errors on the ADFS server, obfuscating more meaningful data. It would be appreciated if this could be fixed:

https://<adfs>/adfs/oauth2/token?granttype=refreshtoken&refreshtoken=<omitted>&scope=openid+logoncert&windowsapiversion=2.0&nux=1&siteid=501413&scope=logoncert&display=popup

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix Hyper-V server from crashing when services is (erroneously) entered in PowerShell

Erroneously entering "services" in PowerShell under Hyper-V 2016 causes the system to blue screen (Critical Stop)
    Please fix this

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. can't show users

when connecting to win server 2016 datacenter.
    because of my group'name with chinese?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Why do I still need to enter the password to log in with the rsa_key

当我使用powershell输入命令
    ssh -i C:\Users\userName.ssh\id_rsa Name@192.240.184.10
    它提示我输入密码
    但是使用mobaxteam的ssh连接,不用输入密码

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow to change IP address for previously reserved network devices in DHCP server management GUI.

Allow to change IP address for previously reserved network devices in DHCP server management GUI (Windows server 2019 and some previous version too).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Deduplication powershell commands compatible with Powershell Core

Right now when trying to use commands like Get-DedupStatus or Get-DedupVolume from PowerShell Core - the output is incorrect, i.e. content of some tables aren't displayed. If before using I load the module via Import-Module -SkipEditionCheck Deduplication, it starts working fine.

Please mark the module as compatible with PowerShell Core and/or test if it is actually compatible!

Related bug in PowerShell Core repository: https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell/issues/12702

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add support to multi language server core 2019 when running on containers

Default servercore:1809 image came with en-US.

I've described step by step how to reproduce lpksetup.exe error on container, producing crash report logs that I've extracted from container.
    All here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/issues/1#issuecomment-453078549

With extra details here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/blob/master/langpack-on-servercore2019.md#why-am-i-playing-around-this-subject

But I'm not able to understand logs or fix windows base image. And I can't open support ticket once I'm not MS partner.

So if anyone could help I'm here to support.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base