General Feedback

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. nslookup ignores "set port"

nslookup in Windows 10 and Server 2016 ignore the "set port" parameter. It always tries to use port 53 regardless. I verified this via packet captures.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Fix the registry error that appears after adding the ADDS role on Windows Server 2019 Datacenter edition 1809

When installing the ADDS role on Windows server 2019 datacenter edition 1809, you start getting errors in the eventlog perflib 1023 for a reference to the file C:\Windows\system32\ntdsperf.dll which does not exist. The reference is added to registry when installing the above role...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. use CMDKEY for remote connections and in the Password field when it has% it cannot read ....

use CMDKEY for remote connections and in the Password field when it has% it cannot read ....

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. How to modify the vendor specilic attribute when setting Radius Server in Windows Server 2016 NPS?

Hello,

Windows Server 2016 NPS set Radius Server, the Radius client I used is MikroTik product, its Radius attribute: https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:RADIUSClient/vendordictionary, I set the vendor specilic in NPS, As shown in the screenshot below, MikroTik Radius attributes Mikrotik-Wireless-VLANID and Mikrotik-Wireless-VLANIDtype, but NPS sends MT-Wireless-VLAN-ID and MT-Wireless-VLAN-ID-Type, how can I modify the NPS Radius specific Supplier attributes to match Mikrotik products?

Related questions I have posted in the Q&A forum:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/146708/how-to-modify-the-vendor-specilic-attribute-when-s.html

Best regards

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. hi. have vm ware player and work station, in a windows server vm, have narrator speak automatically. now was able to get windows narrator w.

have a way when narrator detects a virtual machine, windows server, able to speak. was able to get narrator to speak, and then did install, then it said it needed to be rebooted. and not able to turn on narrator to finish the setup. should have narrator auto detect that a reboot in windows server. thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Including the Aliases creation during Cutover phase using Storage Migration service

We recently had an issue using the Storage Migration service tool, It seems currently SMS is not handling the Cluster resource aliases creation during Migration (Cutover phase).

I appreciate if you could include this feature in the next release.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bug in 2019 AD server with 2012R2 domain level

There is a bug that 2019 server AD with a domain level of 2012R2 is ignoring the Password Policy settings.

Running RSOP on the domain controller is return the Password Policy and Account Lockout Policy as Not Defined.
    I set my domain password policy to minimum of 10 characters but I was able to create a user with 4 characters and even to change the password to a shorter password. I was able to do it only on the AD and when I run RSOP on my win 10 laptop I was able to see policy.
    I installed a new…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. RDSH role breaks Windows Search

Hello,

on a fresh installed and fully patched Windows Server 2019 Std if I enable RDSH role the Windows Search stops working.

Windows Search service looks good and eventlog shows no errors but Indexing Options shows no locations enabled for indexing and I am unable to add them

Things I have already tried

1 - Windows Search service restart

2 - Server restart

3 - Rebuild Index

4 - Enable Windows Search feature

5 - DISM ad SFC

6 - Windows Troubleshoot - shows incorrect permission on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data folder but is unable to fix them. If I manually fix those…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. RD Client bad keyboard mapping

Using a frenck keyboard (AZERTY), 5 becomes (, < becomes * when using rd client from chromebook. How is this possible ?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add file locking so when using DFS, it' locks files across shared systems, so two people cannot edit at once.

Add file locking so when using Distributed File System, it' locks files across shared systems, so two people cannot edit at once.

Currently two people can open the same file on two servers connected using DFS, and they both can edit the file. Bob can edit it for 2 days, and then Sarah can open it on the second for 30 minutes. Then Bob closes his, and Sarah closes hers, and all of Bob's 2 days of work gets wiped out.

DFS has been around for... 8-10 years? Why has this not been fixed? Administrators have enough issues without having…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Make something work properly.

Nothing Microsoft ever works. Always some made up issue. Just wanted to set up a simple remote connection between 2 computers, what a farce. An hour later, 2 computers full of apps and ****, 2 emails created I will never use. Awful software.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make character keys work in Linux VMs

I try to use the iOS RD Client to connect to a remote Windows machine, running VMWare with a Linux client. On the VM the keyboard only works with numbers, not with characters. I read on internet forums that Microsoft considers this a design feature. In my opinion this is misuse of market dominance designed to hurt competitors. Please fix.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. RDP issues: applications sound transfer, screen stops updating

Hello,
    I found a couple of issues with RDP work:
    1) Applications sound transfer. Some Win10Pro PCs (only few of many similar ones) have issue with transfere of applications sound. I can hear system sound check, but I can't hear any applications: players, browsers, etc. All settings allowed and correct, other PCs transfere all sounds.
    2) If I set all devices to transfer with RDP, transfered screen starts to freeze after some time of work. It happens every time. Screen stops updating, but RDP still works and I can click Remote Desktop, but i won't see what happens until I…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please make Windows Server compliant with containers, otherwise the OS is useless

legacy systems needs to go to cloud

.NET and Win32 softwares will be around for long time, for sure..

why container? 1nd

Large systems with decades of code written, composed by 3rd party components can not be changed right away. So containerizing monoliths, are one important step on the jorney to the cloud

why container? 2st

I'm newbie, but as far as I know, the whole thing about containers is ship it as image once and run it everywhere, with environment isolation and integrity.. right?!

the issue

There is no way to properly set globalization settings like Time Zone,…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cursor - Black box

Since the latest update, I've had issues with a black box coming surrounding my cursor. I've tried restarting the remote computer to no avail. It does it randomly and stays on for varying lengths of time. At times, there has been great mouse lag. The remote mouse driver is up to date in the configuration.

Can this be improved?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. fix the bugs in Openssh

we have the OpenSSHforWindows_7.7 in last windows 10 as of today.
    The problem is that is does not work to log a user in ssh securely with keys (not password). Please keep me posted

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Task Scheduler cannot stop tasks since Server 2016

The Option "Stop task if it runs longer than" under Triggers no longer kills the running task in Server 2016/2019.

The same scheduled task that would be killed after the time set on the Trigger of the scheduled task in all Server version before Server 2012 R2 are not terminate on Server 2016/2019.

I confirmed this with creating a basic task to run notepad and kill it after a minute in Server 2019 and upon execution task scheduler never kills notepad.
    This same job was exported to Server 2016 and it didn't work either. The XML was then imported to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix CNAME Bug

When creating a CNAME record in Windows Server 2016, if you are creating using (Same as Parent), it will overwrite any existing (Same as Parent) records without prompting that it will do so.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base