General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Server 2012 R2 VM Live Migration to Server 2019, VM won't boot after shutting down

If you use Hyper V Live Migration from Server 2012 R2 (not sure if any other OS) to migrate to Server 2019. The migration works but as soon as you shut down the VM and try to start it again, will no longer boot. It turns on/off 3 times and remains off.

I also did cluster to cluster migration in VMM and this is the same behaviour.

It looks like it is due the migrated MAC address, if I set the VM to get a new dynamic mac address it seems to work. If I set it to it's original…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. CAPS LOCK Problem

I am using Microsoft Remote Desktop to access a Windows desktop remotely through a chromebook. About once or twice every ten minutes, the caps lock randomly activates on the windows machine without me activating it. The only way I can deactivate it is by typing at least one character in CAPS LOCK mode and at least one character out of CAPS LOCK mode consecutively. This is an annoying trait, and it seems to be a bug you may want to fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. show "Disk Manager" window - mine doesn't show so i cant change drive letter

I click on Start icon, then "disk Manager" - nothing happens

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. robocopy /mt causes incorrect summary for copied and skipped files

Issue relating to robocopy is detailed here:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/cd9b83c1-bd01-41ee-8f56-ea9db4e598bb/robocopy-with-mt-switch-seems-to-show-different-summary-info-why?forum=winserverfiles&prof=required

When using the /MT to a directory that already exists the files are not skipped. This is the opposite behavior to what happens without the /MT flag. This issue is picked up reviewing the summary.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. [Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac] Display freezes after first frame

I am connecting to a VirtualBox VM exposed via VRDP. The first frame loads but then it stops. Mouse and Keyboard events are still sent to the VM (I can see things happen in the preview window), but the screen on MS Remote Desktop never updates.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug in Android RD 8.1.71.387 using danish keyboard.

Not sure why I was guided to windows server, the problem is with the Android RD client.
    In a danish environment, the bottom left key is supposed to be - (minus) and the shifted value _ (underscore), This is the key immediately to the left of the right shift key.
    Using the Android RD client on a Acer Chromebook with danish keyboard towards a Windows 10 VDI the keys come out as + (plus) and the shifted value ? (questionmark).
    Connecting to the same VDI with RD from a Windows PC renders the correct keys, and using the chromebook in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Server 2016 jumping ahead of time

I have found a wired thing, I got a file server that has shadow copies configured for one of its drives and it seems that server jumps ahead of time at some point and creates shadow copies for future. Not sure if it happens because of a bug. I've fully updated the server and reported the issue here as one of TechNet guy suggested. please reachout for more details. janindu@live.com Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Offline files

On Windows 10, Office 2016/2019 can not open offline files from redirected folders when internet connection is not available. If internet connection is available (even public one), there is no problem. Other file types (pdf, jpg) have no issues. The server that stores the redirected folders is not accessible through internet, only on local network. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Windows Server 2019 Search function doesn't work without Internet connection

Search function is not working when Server 2019 is not connected to internet. I'm not getting any search results when I search after installed programs from start menu. When I connect the server to Internet everything is fine. Sometimes it works when i go back to offline mode until I reboot server again. We have lots of offline servers so I hope you can fix this problem before we start to migrate to Sever 2019.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Windows Server 2019 RDS Remote Apps Freeze/Disconnect

When using LAPS UI or Server Manager which I believe these are .NET applications with RDS Remote Apps the right-click context menus or an admin prompt freeze the RemoteApp session and eventually disconnect. This issue is not present in Server 2016 and I assume this has something to do with the way RemoteApps works in 2019

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Use a proper issue tracker such as available on github.com or gitlab.com

Use a proper issue tracker such as available on github.com or gitlab.com.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Update Essentials 2012 R2 Dashboard to be compatible with current .NET releases

If any .NET version after 4.5.2 is installed, some dashboard functionality fails (can't remove computer, can't ignore alert) and the dashboard crashes randomly. Removing and blocking .NET 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 works around the issue, but that means the server is limited to the 4-year-old .NET 4.5.2. This article has more details:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Server 2016 Storage System 257 Error Refs

Receiving error --> The volume Shares (E:) was not optimized because an error was encountered: The operation requested is not supported by the hardware backing the volume. (0x8900002A)

This is a storage spaces tiered virtual disk formatted Refs.

Any guidance?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 2019 HyperV: Upgrade Configuration Version breaks VMs with Checkpoints

it's a shame that M$ does not test basic functions like this before deploying SW like the Windows 2019 Server: We have a 2019 Server with HyperV. One VM uses the VM-Configuration 5.0 and has two Checkpoints. If "Upgrade Configuration Version" is called, then HyperV creates one VM for each Checkpoint.

Is it that hard to have a test case:
    "Upgrade Hyper-V Configuration using a VM containing at least 2 Checkpoints"?

20 years ago, it was OK to deploy such bugs.
    Today… it's a shame.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Prevent Update nag firing when you clink in to the update screen

When updates are pending on our Server 2016 estate handled by WSUS we should get a prompt to advise that updates are pending. This is all fair and well if you aren't particularly going in to do the updates.

If you are straight on the box and going into updates as soon as you click Update and security the update nag fires taking over the screen only to have the option to show the updates that are locked in the background that I already navigated to. Clearly this is not the expected behaviour and hopefully is just the OS going…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. zyci zycie jest nowela

biale biale biale włosy
    bialy bialy bialy welon

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hyper-V Server 2019 (17763.1) did not detect CU for Windows

Windows Update (sconfig 6) on Hyper-V Server 2019 does not detect any cumulative updates for Windows. It detect only cumulative updates for .NET Framework and Windows Defender Updates. I can manually install Cumulative Updates for Windows Server 2019 (downloaded from Microsoft Update Catalog) to Hyper-V Server 2019.

I know that I should not use the first ISO media (17763.1) I downloaded in early October. I just reported. I hope the early restart of ISO media offering.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Windows Hyper-V Server Core 2019 RDP not listening on port 3389 after enabled.

Even after the TermService service is enabled, the system is still not listening to port 3389. Settings double-checked to be enabled in the CLI enabler, via regedit, and running processes checked to be running, and ports checked with netstat.

Still not working.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make Features on Demand work inside the Server Core Container

Because there's no "product feedback" at <https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/features-on-demand-v2--capabilities>, I'll post here. I'm the author of a popular Active Server Pages framework, ASP Xtreme Evolution (AXE), and we have a hack to leverage node.js npm packages to work inside our environment <https://github.com/nagaozen/evolved-npm2asp-bundler>.

I evaluated the Windows Server 2019 DE and the ServerCore (with FoD) on a virtual machine and they both support this trick. But we are trying to move into a container strategy and installing FoD on the <mcr.microsoft.com/windows/servercore:ltsc2019> seems impossible for the reasons already explained in this issue <https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/windows-insider/issues/56>.

I'm sending an attachment with…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. mprddm.dll

The pppoe in rras is broken, there are multiple reports on this, with 'patched' Windows server DLLs floating around. This is unacceptable, and these issues have even persisted from 2012 to the current 2019.
    Please advise.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base