General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Robocopy - Needs Creation Date Functionality

Posted to Bug as all other robocopy posts have been placed here.

It is fairly common for organisations to have a temporary area accessible by all staff to allow a common area to access files. For these type of temporary areas, some sort of scheduled cleaning regime needs to be in place so that files older than a certain number of days are automatically removed.

A common cleaning approach is to move files past a nominated age to a staging folder and then empty the staging folder. Unfortunately robocopy's MINAGE switch operates on Modified Date that makes it non-functional for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows Server 2016 loses NTFS permissions

Folder structure (example):

Company (Company is shared as Company)
    Sales
    Administration
    Office

Folder Company:
    Share permissions:
    Everyone, Change

NTFS permissions:
    Group “Alle_MAs”, Read, This folder only
    Group “Admin”, “System”, Full control
    right inheritance, disabled

Supfolders of Company (Sales, Administration, Office):
    Folder „Sales“, Group „Sales“, Change
    Folder „ Administration“, Group „ Administration“, Change
    Folder „ Office“, Group „ Office“, Change

For example, if I delete the folder “Sales”, on the share “Company”, all NTFS permissions have disappeared except for “Administratos” and “System”

Thanks for your help
    Michael

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Windows Server Insider Preview 18334 notepad do not open dialog

Open dialog is not displayed in notepad of Windows Server Insider Preview 18334. I can not open an existing file.
    If it is notepad filename, you can open an existing file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Respect Robocopy /NP switch when /MT switch is in use

First reported in 2009, this issue documented and acknowledged in the following TechNet thread, but doesn't seem to be a topic in this forum.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e8c38fe1-df36-4dfc-8dd5-50613b1a7984/robocopys-mt-option-disables-np-option?forum=w7itprogeneral

Essentially you can use the /NP commmand to suppress progress percentages from the output, but it's not respected when you specify the /MT parameter to perform a multi-threaded operation, and only percentages are returned.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. nanoserver:1809 inside docker does not rely CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT

When ever you run an application inside a container built on nanoserver:1809 they don't receive CTRL_SHUTDOWN_EVENT that happens when the container stopped.
    Same issue does not happen with Windows Server Core

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hyper-V Can't Enable Enhanced Mode For VM Sessions When RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter Assgined

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro for Workstation x64 en-US
    Guest OS: Windows 10 LTSC 2019 x64 en-US

After assigned RemoteFX 3D Video Adapter to the guest OS, it is impossible to enter the enhanced mode.

CPU: Intel Xeon E-2176M
    RAM: 16G DDR4 2666MHz * 3
    Assgined Startup Mem to Guest OS: 2048MB
    GPU0: Intel P630
    GPU1: Quadro P2000

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. please fix "ping /w" <mSecond> function

Please fix the command line Ping.
    This is a very old function and feature that has be broken for a long time.
    the -w or /w function does not work for Ping.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Restore RDP Connection Stability

RDP Connections to Server 2019 are not stable - connection drops within seconds.

1 Dell R730 and 1 Dell R710 upgraded from Server 2016 to Server 2019. RDP worked perfectly under 2016. 2019 cannot maintain a stable connection. Performed Clean install on R710 but problem persists.

This must be a new bug in 2019 as the same hardware and NIC configuration worked under 2016.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Issue on Windows10 Pro as RDP listener - internal error occurred

Hello,

I want to report one issue that is easy to reproduce, it occurs with any rdp client that connects to Windows10 Pro with enabled RDP connections, actually used mstsc.exe to connect from one Windows10 pro machine to another Windows10 pro machine with enabled RDP.

After ~100 tries to restore interrupted connection the server refuses future rdp connection tries with internal error occurred message reported by mstsc.exe.

It doesn't matter if you have logged off the session during running, as example did 20 connection restorings then logged off, logged in and did next 80 connection restorings, that was only example,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [bug] cannot install some future on 2019

Cannot install other language or ssh server because every time i try i got error "Check your Windows Insider Program settings"

This is joke right? I use latest stable release of 2019 Standard not insider preview. I download iso from my MSDN/MAPS site.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "PowerShell Core" 6.x "Remote Server Administration Tools" 1809 Get-* -Filter * Properties * broken

Get-AD* Cmdlets broken when using "-Filter *" and & or "-Properties *"
    on Windows 10 1809 with Remote Server Administration Tools 1809:

Name : ConsoleHost
    Version : 6.1.1
    InstanceId : 376bfa55-d7c2-41ad-89dc-bc63b357ccb8
    UI : System.Management.Automation.Internal.Host.InternalHostUserInterface
    CurrentCulture : en-US
    CurrentUICulture : en-US
    PrivateData : Microsoft.PowerShell.ConsoleHost+ConsoleColorProxy
    DebuggerEnabled : True
    IsRunspacePushed : False
    Runspace : System.Management.Automation.Runspaces.LocalRunspace

Get-ADobject -Server $Forest.DomainNamingMaster -Credential $Creds.$ForestKey -LDAPFilter "(objectClass=site)" -SearchBase 'CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=com' -Properties *
    Get-ADobject : Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Get-ADobject -Server $Forest.DomainNamingMaster -Credential $Creds.$F ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-ADObject], NullReferenceException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ActiveDirectoryCmdlet:System.NullReferenceException,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADObject

Same Windows…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. SCVMM (VMM) & S2D should support cross-cluster migration of highly available VMs

Migrations of highly-available VMs from one cluster to another while using S2D and SOFS as a storage solution (NOT hyper-converged) should be supported by VMM.

VMM has built-in functionality to allow migration of a VM from one cluster to another.

This does NOT work with HA VMs when your storage solution is SOFS on S2D. The VM will be placed in pause-critical, effectively a failed migration.

I believe this is a shortcoming on the part of Failover Clustering not properly handling storage communication, but not sure as this action isn't able to be automated outside VMM.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. pagefile

Following this discussion:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c5f2786c-ffac-4f14-b7a9-00612cdf784e/server-2016-vm-hangs-shutting-downrestarting-when-the-pagefile-is-on-a-different-vhdx?forum=winserverhyperv

The core problem is the following, for example (simple config), for Exchange or SQL servers in a HYPER-V VM under Windows 2016:

systemdrive for windows system (and sql, exchange core),
    datadrive for mbx data or sql-databases
    datadrive for log file
    drive for pagefile

We create for all this drive a separat VHDX file and add this to the VM as SCSI drive.

The drive for pagefile (fast SSD, NVMe or other) is exclusiv for the pagefile reserved. No other data on it. The drive for pagefile is the only drive with a pagefile for this vm.…

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Failed to import VM with virtual disk extension vhdx

I have exported VMs with virtual disk extension vhdx created on Windows 10 1809 but can't import them on multiple Windows 10 versions. I exported VM with vhd extension and successfully imported on the sames systems that had issue with vhdx file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. MS DNS does not validate manual entries for RFC compliance

When copying and pasting a CNAME in to MS DNS I accidentally got in a trailing space in the text selection. Even after verifying that spaces are not valid characters, DNS still permitted its use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "Windows Update Cleanup 1.00 MB" bug of Windows Server 2016

Recently, I found "Windows Update Cleanup 1.00 MB" in Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr) Tool of Windows Server 2016 with Desktop Experience. I know of another bug that is incorrectly displayed as 3.55 TB, but I found this new 1.00MB bug on two machines (Hyper-V VM and Azure VM). I selected this item on my Hyper-V VM and delete start, it will take a day or more to finally complete, and about 30GB of space will be come back. That's good news, but 1.00 MB display is bug, and the time taken to delete is unusual. I do not have the courage…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. SIMPLE not chaos and hyper complexity impossile to understand in less than month lost for update wrong

update are too complex when wrong, please you must make simple solutions for update errors that works
    I understand why Boeing crashes with Microsoft software !!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Bug: Can not pin off the Start menu forWindows Server 2019 Essentials

1. pin off the Start menu
    2. log off
    3. The Start menu is clear

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. RS5's strange update behavior of .NET Framework Preview CU

Today (1/22 PST), Microsoft released two preview udpates for RS5 - KB4476976 and KB4481031. Thease updates are D release. But Preview of Cumulative Update for .NET Framework (KB4481031) was automatically installed to some Windows 10 ver 1809 and Windows Server 2019. This behavior is not assumed. I did not click "Check for updates". KB4481031 says

"Install this update
    To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
    This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base