General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 does not seem to be compatible with Apple OS split view like version 8 was

Can you fix the fact that Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 no longer supports Apple OS Split View

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 does not seem to be compatible with Apple OS split view like version 8 was

Can you fix the fact that Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 no longer supports Apple OS Split View

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. WSUS Powershell computerupdatestatus

The "Get-Wsuscomputer -ComputerUpdateStatus Needed" powershell cmdlet does not work and fails to return objects that match the cmdlet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. suing someone to fix and actually test a generic april 10pro install to regain all existing virtual images that a generic home users wants

suing someone to fix and actually test a generic april 10pro install to regain all existing virtual images that a generic home users wants to use as in all the docker images, all their long time existing virtual box images etc without resorting to worse than Linux powershell lines of code

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Windows Server 2016: Powershell Imports Appear Broken

Windows Server 2016: Powershell Imports Appear Broken

Version:
    Major Minor Build Revision
    ----- ----- ----- --------
    5 1 14393 2339
    Error:
    Error: The term 'function' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was includ
    ed, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Summary:
    Last night, an update was implemented on our system via active directory. Today, I am unable to run file imports that work on other versions (5.1.16299.431 is working fine on my local machine, Windows 10). I'm not…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. WDS , AD DS, IIS, Ethernet Settings

I've successfully installed Windows Server 2019. I've installed the following Roles: ADDS, DHCP, WDS. Active directory works fine, dhcp work proper. WDS when i try to open the WDS manager will freeze. I've installed in multiple system so it's not a problem with my VMWare Workstation 14. Also i've tried both versions. Standard and Data Center.

Second glitch it's the network settings. When you right click on ethernet icon and try to go to advance option. On the left panel click Ethernet and first option it's to change Adapter option. You will get an error which said that you don't…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hi please read this post carefully

I am a microsoft trainer for about 8 years so i think its important for you to hear my suggestions about windows server 2016 (the latest update).
    Win server 2016 has so many bugs and you are losing your customers.
    Everyone tells me that master please dont tell me about winserver 2016 any more its not reliable and has so many issues.
    So if you as microsoft server team want to know about all of the problems please send me an email so i will tell you all about the problems that im sure you dont know aboute all of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Switch Independent Teaming

The standby NIC in a Windows Server Switch Independent teaming configuration results in applications receiving duplicate broadcasts or multicasts. This is incorrect design and make switch independent teaming unusable in many use cases. Broadcasts or multi-casts on the standby adapter should be discarded.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make Windows Deployment Server stop breaking on updates

Every time there is a major 6-month update for Windows Server 2016, my Windows Deployment Server will break and we will not be able to image computers without a complete re-install of Windows Server.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. There is a bug in DfsrHelper.dll

If a Powershell script creates a DFSR RG and invokes the CmdLet "Set-DfsrMembership" multiple times to add several member servers then there is a high probability that the CmdLet will fail.
    I have a PowerShell script than creates a new DFSR RG, adds the local server and a folder, then calls the above CmdLet.
    if the script is run in a loop (deleting the RG between iterations) then the script will fail after 2 - 5 loops.

I've used .NET Reflector to debug the DfsrPowershell, DfsObjectModel and DfsrHelper DLL's and I found that the error is as follows:
    Set-DfsrManagement attempts…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. powershell ISE Editor debugger crashes index out of range

In a certain powershell script i'm working on i get the following error when i try and debug:

E:\logs\Invoke-IISGraphInteractive_V1_4.ps1 :
    Exception : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Specified argument was out of the range of valid values.
    Parameter name: length
    at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Text.Span..ctor(Int32 start, Int32 length)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.ISEEditor.MarkPosition(Int32 lineNumber, Int32 startPosition, Int32
    endPosition, String marking)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.ISEFile.SetDebuggerCurrentPosition(Int32 lineNumber, Int32
    startColumn, Int32 endColumn)
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.PowerShellTab.DoEnterDebugger()
    at Microsoft.PowerShell.Host.ISE.PowerShellTab.DoEnterNestedPrompt(Object context)
    at
    Microsoft.Windows.PowerShell.Gui.Internal.WPFHelper.<>c__DisplayClass9.<SendToUIThread>b__8(Object obj)
    TargetObject :
    CategoryInfo : OperationStopped: (:) [Write-IISResponseCharts], ArgumentOutOfRangeException
    FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException,Write-IISResponseCharts

here is the code block:

$DataToUse = $data.data |Where {$_['time']}| where $CoreFilterSB | where $FilterSB
    $TransformedData = $DataToUse |
    select @{n='Series';e={Invoke-Command $seriesSB -ArgumentList $_}}, …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Get-WindowsCapability -Online Hangs on Build 17133.73

No activity in Task Manager. I waited it out for 1/2 hour. Only tried in a VM so far. Windows Module Installer shows stopping for a long time in Shutdown/Restart.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Hello, after applying the below listed patches this past Sunday on Windows Server 2016 dedicated to File / Print services, searching for fil

Hello, after applying the below listed patches this past Sunday on Windows Server 2016 dedicated to File / Print services, searching for files on Windows Server 2016 results in the search that appears to be searching but unable to display properly.

If possible I'll send a picture comparing Windows Explorer search results from both Win10 & Win7 (both systems are up to date with latest patches, though the same view from Win 10 happens on Win 2016), a description of what I'm seeing can be described as follows:

Win 10 / 2016; you see the file name only, the rest…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Diskpart crashes when asked to delete volume

In the article "Converting dynamic volume to basic volume" there is a routine for using Diskpart to delete unwanted volumes. However, Diskpart repeatedly crashes when asked to delete a volume.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Server 2016 - Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. rundll32.exe

On fresh install of Server 2016 Standard (several times), once I join the server to the domain, the domain admin account cannot "personalize" the desktop theme to include desktop icons. I get the error above, saying that you (domain admin) may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item. It works fine with local admin before and after the server is joined to the domain, but not for domain admin.

Anyone?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. ReFs RAW and metadata inconsistency issues

We have a storage spaces two way mirror two column setup with ReFs.

Each time the DataIntegrityScan runs we get a warning.
    Volume metadata inconsistency was detected and was repaired successfully.
    Volume name: D:
    Metadata reference: 0x204
    Range offset: 0x0
    Range length (in bytes): 0x0
    Bytes repaired: 0x3000

And each time Windows update requires a reboot the volume is detected as RAW!

If we reboot the server again it is detected as ReFs.

Running Windows Server 2016 Standard.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Get-WindowsCapability Windows 10 Enterprise 1709

If have some issues with Dism after a new Installation with Windows 10 1709 and Upgrade from Windows 1703 to 1709.

Get-WindowsCapability : Error "Get-WindowsCapability". Errorcode: 0x800f0954
    Line:1 Zeichen:1
    + Get-WindowsCapability -online
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WindowsCapability], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.GetWindowsCapabilityCommand

Some Lines from Dism Logfile:

DISM OS Provider: PID=7180 TID=6088 Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder. C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder. - CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnect

DISM Provider Store: PID=7180 TID=6088 Failed to load the provider: C:\Users\ADMIN~1.TES\AppData\Local\Temp\38977CD8-C67C-463B-8721-E72E5E46A990\PEProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

DISM Provider Store: PID=7180 TID=6088 Failed to get and…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. In Event Viewer the link by More Information: Event Log Online Help points to a non existing page:

The link is https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee958049.aspx which is a 404.

Please update Event Viewer to remove the link to Event Log Online Help or create the page proper.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1709 WSUS client scan takes a long time and tries to connect to SLS.Update.Microsoft.com

Unlike the 1607 full GUI client that scan in a few seconds, all 1709 servers take extremely long time to scan against WSUS (which is running 1709 btw) and the logs show that they are trying to connect to SLS.update.microsoft.com which fails due to lack of internet connectivity.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Use a numeric sort instead of a string sort on DNS date field

Whilst working through some of the DNS records for our network, we noticed we were seeing some records from 2015. We tried to sort the 'Date' column in ascending/descending order and found that the fields were not formatted as 'Date/Time' but rather as a text format as the timestamps were sorted in ascending order of the first 2 numbers of the date.
    As an example:
    Timestamp 1: 05/04/2015
    Timestamp 2: 01/02/2017
    Timestamp 3: 15/03/2016
    Timestamp 4: 19/06/2015

When sorted in ascending order by timestamp, the DNS records SHOULD be organised in the following format:
    1: 05/04/2015
    2: 19/06/2015
    3: 15/03/2016 …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base