General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows Updates shouldn't fail constantly or take hours to complete

I have a number of 2016 servers. It seems like 99% of them fail when doing automatic updates. I am able to install them manually by going through sconfig and selecting option 6 but it takes FOREVER. During installation, the CPU or Memory isn't maxed out at 100% so I have no idea what is causing it to take forever. All other previous versions of Windows run and install updates just fine in the same VMware environment.

301 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [DCR Case-15787650] Add a Group policy or CSP policy which allows/blocks the Windows driver updates over metered networks

We have several users under this scenario where they were working in a remote location with no wifi access and they connect through 4G, then a driver download for the Mobile broadband device kicks in and as it normally happens with network related device driver updates, once Windows starts the process of upgrading it, it will briefly disconnect the device, leaving the user with no connectivity.

Currently, we only have an option to allow/block the entire Windows Updates on metered networks from Windows perspective
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-update#update-allowautowindowsupdatedownloadovermeterednetwork

It would be great if we can have a granular setting which lets us decide…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix Windows Server Updates

Today's Windows Updates are horrible and very unreliable and Windows Updates are one of the most riskiest operations. Microsoft should take the inspiration from Linux environment as Linux implementation of OS updates is informative, transparent to administrators, it's very nice to work with and administrators have all relevant info in case of any issue or update management. And Linux updates are very reliable.

But in case of Windows Server updates they are a nightmare. Using sconfig provides only very basic information, when updates are downloaded with no information is provided about progress, about downloading process, details about downloaded packages etc.…

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add support to multi language server core 2019 when running on containers

Default servercore:1809 image came with en-US.

- At this moment, for Server Core 2019, you have to install language pack by yourself: https://docs.microsoft.com/pt-br/windows-server/get-started-19/rel-notes-19.
    - The way to do it, is using lpksetup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4466511/cannot-configure-language-pack-for-windows-server-2019
    - But lpksetup.exe crashes when running on container

I've described step by step how to reproduce lpksetup.exe error on container, **producing crash report logs** that I've extracted from container.
    All here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/issues/1#issuecomment-453078549

With extra details here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/blob/master/langpack-on-servercore2019.md#why-am-i-playing-around-this-subject

But I'm not able to understand logs or fix windows base image. And I can't open support ticket once I'm not MS partner.

So if anyone could help I'm…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. AGPM

Continue support and updates for Advanced Group Policy Management. Our company uses AGPM extensively and would like to see future enhancements and support continued. If there is a replacement Microsoft product, it doesn't seem to be found.

92 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

22 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add Snip & Sketch to Win Server

Please add the "Snip & Sketch" feature of Windows 10 to Windows Server 2019. We'd love to have this basic feature for our users working with Citrix on Windows Server.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. RDSH role breaks Windows Search

Hello,

on a fresh installed and fully patched Windows Server 2019 Std if I enable RDSH role the Windows Search stops working.

Windows Search service looks good and eventlog shows no errors but Indexing Options shows no locations enabled for indexing and I am unable to add them

Things I have already tried

1 - Windows Search service restart

2 - Server restart

3 - Rebuild Index

4 - Enable Windows Search feature

5 - DISM ad SFC

6 - Windows Troubleshoot - shows incorrect permission on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data folder but is unable to fix them. If I manually fix those…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Suggestion: Improve Windows Server update process and reduce down times

Make Windows Server to be able to check, download, install updates while the server is running.

like Android project Mainline.

so at first there will be 2 OS drives instead of 1, they'll be clones of each other. when an updates pops up, the OS will download and install it on the other drive that is not used to run the OS. the updates can be installed and completely finished on that drive. the next time a system admin restarts the server, OS will boot up from the other updated drive without ANY downtime for installing or finishing updates. once…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Idid not enjoy about the program on dvd rw drive (e)

It says updating windows would help run my windows smoothly but why my dvd room wont start when inserted cd on it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add any bluetooth mouse support to RDP on iOS (iPadOS)

Given that iPadOS 13 will be released soon and include some mouse support baked into the OS, can we please have generic bluetooth mouse support added to the iPadOS/iOS RDP app?

I've already confirmed I can pair the MX Master gen1 I have with the iPad and works as expected with the current mouse support from Apple, but proper mouse support baked into the app would make this actually usable.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. ninguna

todo va bien

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make ISO hashes / checksums publicly accessible

Currently volume licensing and most other MS portals don't provide (SHA, MD5 or any) filehashes.
    I learned that later this year MS is planning to update the VLSC portal to support this. That's good news.

It would be a bonus to see the hashes on a true public part of the portals or otherwise on www.microsoft.com without any form of subscription.
    Reason is that only a limited number of persons have an account that can actually download ISO’s from VLSC. On the other hand, a lot of IT admins cannot download themselves but use these ISO’s and have to rely…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Is this a Permission-Bug in Windows Firewall Logging?

#Windows Firewall Log BUG

Situation:
    New Installed Server With 2016 Standard. Patched and up2date with June-2019 CU.
    Created a new Domain with itself beeing the first domaincontroler. Created a GPO to activate Windows Firewall and enable Logging of DROP and ALLOW to pfirewall-domain.log in the default-path.

What happens?
    The Log can´t be written, no access denied. Sysinternals Procmon shows no "Access Denied". Shows a few creates but does not write.
    [...]
    Detailed Explanation:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b8ba16b4-8b7e-4c3a-a610-a67fed2e87ae/is-this-a-permissionbug-in-windows-firewall-logging?forum=win10itprosecurity

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Windows Server 2016 Essentials Connector not working after Windows 1903 update

After upgrading my Windows 10 Pro 1809 to 1903, the Essentials connector was not working anymore as in the login process did not work. I always got the error message "Server is not online. Do you want to log into the offline mode?" on my Windows PC. Several reinstallations later it still does not work and therefore the backup of my PC not either.
    Please provide a solution to this problem or solve it with a cumulative windows update.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make Windows 10\Office 2016 Searches as good as they were with on Windows 7\Office 2010

In Windows 7, Office 2010 I used to be able to search EVERYTHING that was indexed on my computer, files, emails, .psts, etc. INSTANTLY.

I have since been upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 2016 and the searches are a nightmare and very slow. I can only search emails while in Outlook 2016(no longer from Windows Search) and it is significantly slower than the searches on my old computer. Would like to have the ability to search EVERYTHING in my computer returned from Windows Search(Type Here to Search) since I regularly have to find old emails for customers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 73 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. PowerShell method of provisioning the Azure Automation RunAs account fails.

When I attempt to automate the provisioning of the Azure Automation Run As account using the attached script, the RunAs Certificate and RunAs Connection assets are created successfully, however the RunAs account does not import the thumbprint, name and expiration dates for the RunAs certificate in it's properties. As a workaround, I have to manually create the RunAs account in the portal. This is ok as a manual process, but I was hoping to automate the deployment of a lab or dev/test environment, then immediately provision a run as account for the automation account so that I can schedule startup…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Resolve the Windows Server 2019 bug stopping it from booting on certain servers with UEFI enabled when the Hyper-V Role is installed.

There's a pretty big problem on some servers (at least two Dell PET Servers I've tried so far) that stops Server 2019 from booting/goes into a boot loop once the Hyper-V role is installed.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base