General Feedback

Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. WSUS server Windows 20H2 detect and report

Please,
    update WSUS and Update agents to correctly show new 19.042.572 (20H2)in WSUS management console. Need it for Inventory and Esset management. Thanx :D

59 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. allow UDP tracert because Verizon has done something with their network and your current Tracert only shows 2 hops.

Currently Tracert only shows 2 hops on Verizon Fios networks. There were many more before they changed their settings. UDP traceroute on Linux and Unix have no problem. Change your tracert to allow configuration for UDP rather than ICMP. It's hard to use current tracert to determine what's wrong when most of the hops don't show up.

63 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Enable configurable recursion in DNS Policy

DNS Policy currently supports split-brain configurations only where the DNS server is authoritative for both zones (eg. respond with IP1 for internal users and IP2 for everyone else).

It would be helpful if DNS Policy also supported split-brain scenarios where the resolver is NOT authoritative for one of the zones. This is useful in cases where the resolvers are separate from the primary DNS servers and the customer wants to specify a different IP address to a subset of clients, or when the primary DNS server is not managed internally but we want to 'overwrite' one or more IP addresses.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow us to hard set network location profile

Network Location Awareness is very useful feature on desktops. Particularly in the current climate of people taking machines home, having them detect "Public" networks is useful.

However, it is nearly unheard of for a Windows Server to be picked up and taken to an untrusted network. Instead of the benefits of this feature, there are many reasons wherein a server may decide it's in a public network and firewall itself from access. This will, for example, prevent a file server sharing files, or an Exchange server accepting email. If this occurs to Domain Controllers, it will trigger all other servers…

24 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. set code page for openssh server

My win10 code page is Big5 as default
    I can use chcp 65001 to correct all chinese path if I connect via ssh to openssh server on win10.

But if I connect via sftp command, sftp must use utf-8 but has no way to change code page on server.
    It makes my all path with Chinese character disappear in sftp ls output

The only way I can do is go to settings -> language -> beta: use unicode utf-8 to fix this problem, but this will break many old program which doesn't support unicode.

I suggest to provide a way…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. dns root came

Feature Request - DNS zone root apex alias capability in Windows Server DNS

This would allow a customer to direct requests to the root of an DNS hosted zone (e.g. mydomain.com) to cdn/hosted services. This is required because a CNAME alias is not a supported record type for the apex root (@) record in a DNS zone.

Azure supports this, so not sure why windows server team didn't implement this as well:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/dns/dns-alias

AWS Route 53 DNS service gets around this using the concept of an alias which allows the root apex record of a DNS zone to point to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. LAN Driver for Gigabyte B360M-AORUS Gaming 3

I cant install a LA Driver for motherboard Gigabyte AORUS B360M-Gaming 3 (Intel Ethernet). Where i find it?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. ConfigStoreRootPath & SharedStoragePath Path Change

Both the ConfigStoreRootPath and SharedStoragePath locations under a hyper-v cluster cannot currently be amended after they are initially set so if you move the cluster storage to another storage array with different volume names you either have to:
    1.) recreate the whole cluster to change locations of these values.
    2.) rename the volumes to the old paths and then change all corresponding virtual machine paths or
    3.) Create a small volume with the same name and path as already set for both ConfigStoreRootPath & SharedStoragePath.

It seems completely bizarre that such a well documented limitation has not be addressed by…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. FSRM Quota

The File Migration Tool in Admin Center doesn't migrate Quotas from the File Server Resource Manager

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Explain WAC and migration service can move Roaming profile to redirect folder

Provide info on what we need to know about moving Roaming profiles to 2019 ess. Currently have 2008 r2
    Does it move them?
    How do I verify (before talking to user)?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create a better edit for Tasks Scheduler

Create a better Task Scheduler GUI for Windows. You can't even rename tasks, drag drop, duplicate, migrate to another server, etc. I don't know how we can be in 2021 and have millions of admin who use Task Scheduler and have something can't do basic operations.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. remote desktop port

Remote Desktop > Advanced Settings is extremely user-unfriendly for changing the RDP port.

I correctly shows my current port number, and it has a link for changing the port number. It redirects to a very technical link [https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/remote/remote-desktop-services/clients/change-listening-port] that surely scares a lot of people into doing that.

There should be an input box for setting the new port number, and after changing that it should restart the service without needing to restart the operating system.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. RDP for Windows Desktop

A box beside the default / current listening port (3389) to change the port number on Windows computers instead of modifying the registry manually.

Thank you.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Open services from Local server section

Please implement opening services from Server Manager's Local Server -> Services listing. What I mean by "opening" is that you get to the same dialog as in opening Services application and double-clicking on a service.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Kerberos using AES still not working where it should

Establish a two-way forest trust.

Try to establish Remote Desktop Connection from a computer in one forest to a computer in another forest, with an account that is a member of “Protected Users” security group. The connection will fail if the computer (from where you’re trying to establish RDP connection) does not have “RC4HMACMD5” kerberos encryption type enabled (i.e. it only has “AES256HMACSHA1” enabled).

On the other hand, if the user that is trying to establish Remote Desktop Connection is using an account that is NOT a member of “Protected Users” security group, and only AES…

16 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. server 2019 cluster documentation

We're two years+ since the release of Server 2019 and no documentation updates for Server 2019 Clustering. I feel as if you took my momeny and ran. There is no improvement in Cluster Management or the upgrade process can't be documented so we can keep our cluster on the latest supported operating system?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. DNS Load balancing in active/passive mode

How to configure DNS Load Balancing in active/passive mode guys?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/networking/dns/deploy/app-lb-geo

• here are some types of balancing but not active/passive mode(((

Thanks for your response)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Install driver for microsoft 8.1 64 bit

Die Problembehandlung hat ergeben dass Windows Update für Windows 8.1 64 Bit keine Treiber installiert. Daher Probleme mit, PCI, Drucker, USB 2.0.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base