General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support to multi language server core 2019 when running on containers

Default servercore:1809 image came with en-US.

- At this moment, for Server Core 2019, you have to install language pack by yourself: https://docs.microsoft.com/pt-br/windows-server/get-started-19/rel-notes-19.
    - The way to do it, is using lpksetup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4466511/cannot-configure-language-pack-for-windows-server-2019
    - But lpksetup.exe crashes when running on container

I've described step by step how to reproduce lpksetup.exe error on container, **producing crash report logs** that I've extracted from container.
    All here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/issues/1#issuecomment-453078549

With extra details here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/blob/master/langpack-on-servercore2019.md#why-am-i-playing-around-this-subject

But I'm not able to understand logs or fix windows base image. And I can't open support ticket once I'm not MS partner.

So if anyone could help I'm…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. RDSH role breaks Windows Search

Hello,

on a fresh installed and fully patched Windows Server 2019 Std if I enable RDSH role the Windows Search stops working.

Windows Search service looks good and eventlog shows no errors but Indexing Options shows no locations enabled for indexing and I am unable to add them

Things I have already tried

1 - Windows Search service restart

2 - Server restart

3 - Rebuild Index

4 - Enable Windows Search feature

5 - DISM ad SFC

6 - Windows Troubleshoot - shows incorrect permission on C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data folder but is unable to fix them. If I manually fix those…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Is this a Permission-Bug in Windows Firewall Logging?

#Windows Firewall Log BUG

Situation:
    New Installed Server With 2016 Standard. Patched and up2date with June-2019 CU.
    Created a new Domain with itself beeing the first domaincontroler. Created a GPO to activate Windows Firewall and enable Logging of DROP and ALLOW to pfirewall-domain.log in the default-path.

What happens?
    The Log can´t be written, no access denied. Sysinternals Procmon shows no "Access Denied". Shows a few creates but does not write.
    [...]
    Detailed Explanation:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b8ba16b4-8b7e-4c3a-a610-a67fed2e87ae/is-this-a-permissionbug-in-windows-firewall-logging?forum=win10itprosecurity

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Resolve the Windows Server 2019 bug stopping it from booting on certain servers with UEFI enabled when the Hyper-V Role is installed.

There's a pretty big problem on some servers (at least two Dell PET Servers I've tried so far) that stops Server 2019 from booting/goes into a boot loop once the Hyper-V role is installed.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show how you actually file a bug with Windows Server support cases.

"If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free."

If you go to the link suggested how exactly are you supposed to open a "free" support case for Windows Server bug reports. In the contact us chatbot, there isn't even an option for Windows server. If you select "view all Microsoft products" and select Windows Server it just takes you to the Windows Server docs. So please explain, step by step like I'm a 5 year old, how I'm supposed to report a Windows server bug.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Windows Server 2019v1809 - change Hotkey in Notepad for "wrap around"

Windows Notepad, Server 2019 v 1809
    Replace and "Wrap around" both use the ALT+R shortcut. You need to fix that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix Windows Server 2019 Active Directory Domain Controller and Environment Bugs

It would appears I'm not the only one experiencing the issue, I did a fresh install promote it to a Windows Server 2016 Forest and Domain AD. After the reboot I realize the Start Menu settings cannot be changed, next I found that whole load of permission error whenever I try to launch anything that requires Administrator privilege including Server Manager, Settings and Control Panel. After that I went to check the permission settings of the C drive and Windows folder as compared to previous version of Windows Server, "Authenticated Users" is no longer part of the default permissions. This…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. iPadOS连接上远程桌面后不能输入简体中文

iPados13.1.1和13.1.2都存在这样的问题。远程桌面连接后使用系统自带的简体中文输入法不能输入中文,只能输入英文。但是用第三方搜狗输入法可以输入中文。

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SeShutdownPrivelege, SeUndockPrivelege, and SeTimeZonePrivelege not added to Administrators Group... only for Built-in Admin

SeShutdownPrivelege, SeUndockPrivelege, and SeTimeZonePrivelege are not added to Administrators Group... only for Built-in Admin. This makes it so setting the timezone via the timedate.cpl in Server Core impossible if logged in as Domain Admin. This also makes ExitWindowsEx function in MSVC unusable on 2019.

Previously, these worked on 2016. A workaround is to add the user (or users group) account via the Security Policy for User Rights Assessment in gpedit.msc.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Serve ADFS metadata url with a more appropriate Cache-Control directive

The ADFS metadata url for SAML and Ws-Federation is served with Cache-Control: no-cache which can cause a compliant SAML client to spin. I currently ignore this bad cache directive and impute a computed value from the embedded X509 certificates, which isn't a good choice but better than spinning. A suitable Cache-Control: max age should be provided, probably measured in hours.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Windows Server 2016 Update Needs to be FIXED

Unacceptable windows server 2016 updates will take 48 hours to complete. My Linux servers will update in 10 minutes of time. This slow update process is akin to taking 48 hours to fill gas tank on your car. FIX IT ALREADY.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Powershell bug with parameter set and Resolve-DnsName triggered -Debug prompt

Expect non-interactive execution of script
    Result get debug prompt despite no -Debug flag

It is so strange you have to see it to understand

param (
    [Parameter(Mandatory=$True, ParameterSetName='defaults')]
    [ValidateSet('world', 'people')]
    [string]$Thing
    )
    Write-Host "Hello $Thing"

Resolve-DnsName google.com -Server 8.8.8.8

Try it:

.\Test.ps1 -Thing world -Debug
    Hello world
    DEBUG: 196616

Confirm
    Continue with this operation?
    [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [H] Halt Command [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"):

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Fix .NET-incompatibility with Essentials Dashboard on Server 2016

With the latest .Net updates the dashboard is not useable anymore: Warnings can't be ignored or deleted, computers can't be removed...
    Only the progressbar appears, cpu usage rises to 100% and dashboard gets stuck or crashes.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Fix single update installation triggering multiple updates through sconfig (2016)

Windows Server 2016 with GUI, Exchange Server 2016 running. When I attempt to install a single update using sconfig (in this case the Servicing Stack Update) the OS "helpfully" installed the pending Security Update for Exchange Server without prompting. The installation of this update stops all Exchange Server services.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Server 2016 updates MUCH too slow!

I've never seen Windows hosts take so long to update as Server 2016 does. Between taking sometimes over an hour to download 15MB updates on an extremely fast connection, to the sometimes HOURS-long process, something is BROKEN! And yet all I see in eventvwr is "Installation started" with null detail as to what's taking so bloody forever.

FIX THIS MICROSOFT. People have been complaining about this for YEARS.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. get-dhcpserverv4reservation command bug

get-dhcpserverv4reservation command

when use
    Get-DhcpServerv4Reservation -ScopeId $ScopeId -ComputerName $DHCPServer -ClientId $ClientId
    it returns the leased (not reserved) client IP if the ClientID exists and is active in the given scope
    There is a workaround = collect all reservations for the given scope and search in the result against ClientID

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Windows 2016 - Scheduled Task Access for non-admin Domain users

In Windows server 2016 we are unable to provide access on scheduled tasks for non-admin domain users. This is doable in windows 2012 by adding the permissions to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks folder but it is not working in windows 2016.

Is this a know issue/bug with windows 2016 ?

Thank You In Advance

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Bug: Add-Content keeps lock on file if file is locked

When two PowerShell sessions execute `Add-Content` on the same file, both throw a "Stream is not readable." exception, and both keep the file open, so the lock they establish is never getting released.

Please fix.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base