General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow FSRM passive screens on drive with SYSVOL share, that don't break GPO

Now when I install FSRM and passive screen my C: drive which has SYSVOL, it breaks GPO Managment. You cannot edit a GPO or create a new GPO.
    Please improve server 2019 by not making this a feature of installing FSRM.
    Make it work like it did for server 2016 and below.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. integrate professionally sharepoint search connection native in Windows Explorer and make it the preferred choice in its search applet

Windows search has to be deprecated.
    - It is not cluster-aware.
    - You cannot automate the rollout and
    - Cannot orchestrate a bunch of nodes with the same configuration and
    - last but not least you only have the choice between pest or cholera if you want to use an abstract namespace with all the advantages for background migrations by using the distrubuted file system (dfs), cause windows search is still incompatible with dfs - and never was it!

Sharepoint does it!

But sharepoint is still not integrated in windows explorer. You only have the possibility to import an „osdx-File“…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve Troubleshooting Help for WRDC

I am having a lot of trouble connecting to Windows Remote Desktop. I have allowed access to Port 3389 on both my router and firewall and have used the Desktop name and gateway settings specified in Network Settings -> * -> WiFi -> Network connection details but am still seeing error code 0x3000060. Any help greatly appreciated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Regarding SFTP support out of the box in Windows servers

Dear Microsoft, Can you please add out of the box support for SFTP in Windows server. It will make our lives really easy.

Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Fix Offline WSUS Export Process

We need a better method for offline usage of WSUS. Today we need a two server WSUS installation to manage WSUS updates in an isolated offline environment. One server needs to be Internet facing, and the other ingests the exported updates after a long painful copy process is used. This entire process is error prone, and if a user accidently clicks SYNC, it destroys your existing offline WSUS install.

Currently no GPO's exist to prevent if from occurring and finding good process documentation is painfully difficult to find. Maintaining an offline WSUS server is an archaic process prone to numerous…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Pagefile encryption

Pagefile can potentially hold sensitive data. There is an option to wipe pagefile on shutdown, which takes long and probably does not work with SSD disks. And there is an option to encrypt the pagefile.
    However according to this source: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/fe44476d-a0f0-4e20-a6c5-c790c177a021/ntfs-pagefile-encryption?forum=w7itprosecurity the encryption key is always the same.

So my suggestion is to have an option to generate a new encryption key for the pagefile on every boot which makes previous versions of the pagefile inaccessible and there would be no need to wipe the pagefile on shutdown anymore.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Complete Server Architecture change.

Rube Goldberg is best known for his popular cartoons depicting complicated gadgets performing simple tasks in indirect, convoluted ways. If only he had lived in our times... Windows Server and RDS

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Reduced Storage performance when running a new install of server 2016

I read on materials that storport performnace is reduced on server 2016.
    And I want to know if this issue resolved by updating system driver with the latest storport.sys.version : 10.0.14393.3053

I attached related URL below

https://docs.microsoft.com/ko-kr/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-2016-ga-release-notes#storport-performance

If it is fixed, can you edit the contents on above URL?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Powershell bug with parameter set and Resolve-DnsName triggered -Debug prompt

Expect non-interactive execution of script
    Result get debug prompt despite no -Debug flag

It is so strange you have to see it to understand

param (

[Parameter(Mandatory=$True, ParameterSetName='defaults')]
    [ValidateSet('world', 'people')]
    [string]$Thing
    )
    Write-Host "Hello $Thing"

Resolve-DnsName google.com -Server 8.8.8.8

Try it:

.\Test.ps1 -Thing world -Debug
    Hello world
    DEBUG: 196616

Confirm
    Continue with this operation?
    [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [H] Halt Command [S] Suspend [?] Help (default is "Y"):

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix .NET-incompatibility with Essentials Dashboard on Server 2016

With the latest .Net updates the dashboard is not useable anymore: Warnings can't be ignored or deleted, computers can't be removed...
    Only the progressbar appears, cpu usage rises to 100% and dashboard gets stuck or crashes.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Fix single update installation triggering multiple updates through sconfig (2016)

Windows Server 2016 with GUI, Exchange Server 2016 running. When I attempt to install a single update using sconfig (in this case the Servicing Stack Update) the OS "helpfully" installed the pending Security Update for Exchange Server without prompting. The installation of this update stops all Exchange Server services.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Windows 2016 - Scheduled Task Access for non-admin Domain users

In Windows server 2016 we are unable to provide access on scheduled tasks for non-admin domain users. This is doable in windows 2012 by adding the permissions to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks folder but it is not working in windows 2016.

Is this a know issue/bug with windows 2016 ?

Thank You In Advance

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Provide basic support for Vmware .vmdk

Provide basic support for Vmware .vmdk.
    It is weird that I am able to open a .vmdk file with 7zip but not from within Windows.
    Provide support to mount .vmdk disks (and others like VDI) and at least read access to copy files from other virtual disk formats. Mounting should include mounting in virtual guests as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Windows Server 2016 allows a maximum of 12 active hours. This needs to be increased.

active hours on the update screen can be a maximum of 12 hours. this needs to be extended to 23 hours. Many servers are actively used for more than 12 hours by users from multiple shifts and reboots should not take place while users are accessing files on the server.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Arial Unicode MS font not supported while generating PDF file through Crystal Report (SAP) in IIS 10 (Windows Server 2019)

In my server has installed Windows Server 2019 Standard Edition , VS2010, VS 2017 crystal report (SAP)CRFORVS21. When i deployed the application in IIS server then crystal report does not support Arial Unicode MS font while generating PDF document but when execute the application through Asp.net server (VS) then working (Arial Unicode MS font displayed).
    Why IIS 10 not supported Arial Unicode font while generating PDF document file.
    Please help me

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Server 2016 updates MUCH too slow!

I've never seen Windows hosts take so long to update as Server 2016 does. Between taking sometimes over an hour to download 15MB updates on an extremely fast connection, to the sometimes HOURS-long process, something is BROKEN! And yet all I see in eventvwr is "Installation started" with null detail as to what's taking so bloody forever.

FIX THIS MICROSOFT. People have been complaining about this for YEARS.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Show file extensions by default

Show file extension by default on Windows Server. I can understand why the extension is hidden by default on the Desktop OS but for server it should be visible.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. get-dhcpserverv4reservation command bug

get-dhcpserverv4reservation command

when use
    Get-DhcpServerv4Reservation -ScopeId $ScopeId -ComputerName $DHCPServer -ClientId $ClientId
    it returns the leased (not reserved) client IP if the ClientID exists and is active in the given scope
    There is a workaround = collect all reservations for the given scope and search in the result against ClientID

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base