General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. regedit address bar

When is (did?) the regedit address bar coming (come) to Windows Server?

It would be a big help navigating remote registries. We would save bandwidth and improve performance to go directly to a location in registry on our remote clients on slow networks, instead of slowly opening trees.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Work with Server 2019 server OS, but common setting/configuration/GPO editor/Registry... dialog windows/mmc windows always opens in small si

Windows NT 4 Server era

No feeling, VGA resolution era, especially monitor that connect to server usually run on VGA mode only.

Windows 2000 Server era

Just fine, VGA monitor is major choose too.

Windows Server 2003/2003R2

Little bit small, adjust the window size sometime for rich info/setting situation.

Windows Server 2008/2008R2

Feels window/dialog size small, 720P, 1080i TV boardcasting era.

Windows Server 2012/2012R2

Hey, always require to keep busy on mouse resizing... move...click...drag...release...move...
    Full HD is means standard in almost cases in the world, and even space station.

Windows Serve 2016/2019

Sir, Smartphone may come with 4K screen, right? …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Windows 10\Office 2016 Searches as good as they were with on Windows 7\Office 2010

In Windows 7, Office 2010 I used to be able to search EVERYTHING that was indexed on my computer, files, emails, .psts, etc. INSTANTLY.

I have since been upgraded to Windows 10 and Office 2016 and the searches are a nightmare and very slow. I can only search emails while in Outlook 2016(no longer from Windows Search) and it is significantly slower than the searches on my old computer. Would like to have the ability to search EVERYTHING in my computer returned from Windows Search(Type Here to Search) since I regularly have to find old emails for customers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make powershell appearance like linux terminal

It's 2019 and still when I open powershell, I feel like I'm running windows XP! Please make a change in Powershells appearance. Make it like lInux's one!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. [DCR Case-15787650] Add a Group policy or CSP policy which allows/blocks the Windows driver updates over metered networks

We have several users under this scenario where they were working in a remote location with no wifi access and they connect through 4G, then a driver download for the Mobile broadband device kicks in and as it normally happens with network related device driver updates, once Windows starts the process of upgrading it, it will briefly disconnect the device, leaving the user with no connectivity.

Currently, we only have an option to allow/block the entire Windows Updates on metered networks from Windows perspective
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/client-management/mdm/policy-csp-update#update-allowautowindowsupdatedownloadovermeterednetwork

It would be great if we can have a granular setting which lets us decide…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. biometric

Add Support for Remote Desktop using a Biometric for Key Trust environments

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Server 2012 R2 Standard Start Menu

You can only launch an application from the start menu one time for exactly I click start, Click control panel it loads then I click start, click control panel and nothing happens

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Server 2019 - ALT-F4 - bring back the shutdown/logoff dialog box

Historically, ALT-F4 will close out your windows...and if you were at the desktop, it would nicely bring up a dialog box asking if you'd like to sign-out or shutdown/reboot, etc. That is gone it seems...except for the built-in administrator. This leads to accidental logouts and closing of sessions that may have been active, etc. From what I've seen, MS has stated this is "by design" and needs to go to the forum to restore sanity. Seems odd it exists for one type of account and not able to be enabled for others. Regardless....bring back the logoff/shutdown dialog box please, or…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Improve file search

Extrano mucho el search de antes de w2008. Era realmente fácil buscar dentro de un archivo. Ahora sin los indices nada funciona

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. integrate professionally sharepoint search connection native in Windows Explorer and make it the preferred choice in its search applet

Windows search has to be deprecated.
    - It is not cluster-aware.
    - You cannot automate the rollout and
    - Cannot orchestrate a bunch of nodes with the same configuration and
    - last but not least you only have the choice between pest or cholera if you want to use an abstract namespace with all the advantages for background migrations by using the distrubuted file system (dfs), cause windows search is still incompatible with dfs - and never was it!

Sharepoint does it!

But sharepoint is still not integrated in windows explorer. You only have the possibility to import an „osdx-File“…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow installation of Semi Annual Channel Server Core Features on Demand on LTSC Server Core Version

It is not possible to install the Windows Server 1903 Version of Server Core Features on Demand on a Windows Server 2019 LTSC Server Core.

This should be possible, because many admin tools are missing from the initial release of FOD for Server Core.

I hope Microsoft does not seriously require customers to install a new server just to get additional admin tools on a server core.

What makes this even more cumbersome is that it is not possible to inplace upgrade a semi annual servers to the next version!

THANKS

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add gMSA support for DNS Dynamic Update Registration Credentials in DHCP

DNS Dynamic Update Registration Credentials in DHCP Management Console or PowerShell (Set-DHCPServerDNSCredential) do not support the use of Group Managed Service Accounts (gMSA) when specifying credentials.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add IP Address Column to Print Management MMC - Printers View

Print Management MMC in Administrative Tools does not have the ability to add the IP Address of the printer as one of the columns to chose. It would be a big benefit to be able to see that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Get-Item through Invoke-Command in Windows Server 2019 returns local result

Invoking Get-Item 'HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server' locally will Return amongst others fDenyTSConnections When invoking the same command wrapped in an Invoke-Command the local server values were returned. When running the Get-Item cmdlet in locally or in a PSSession the right result is returned.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Unexpected Shutdown Event Tracker fails to save

After a crash, windows prompts the user to provide information on why the failure occurred. This is done at login via a prompt. In server 2019 with UAC enabled (for local admin, and prompt on secure desktop). The system will prompt on EVERY login and never goes away. Only by disabling UAC does the system 'save' the failure reason and no longer prompts on login.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add WPF Support to WinPE

While never fully supported, the support WinPE had for WPF was enough to allow folks to build flexible, customized tools. Most of us who have done it are SCCM admins building custom front-ends for the OSD process.

The excellent community has found a workaround to keep WPF going, but it would be nice to have support officially back to at least the level it was.

Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Fix the white frameless windows

The new UI design of making the windows white and windows without frames is a poor design decision.
    If you try to counteract the white-everwhere look, and select the 'dark' theme, then you have a black title bar on the windows, and then you can't see the 'minimize, restore & close' options.

If you've got multiple 'native' server 2019 applications open, its very difficult to differentiate where the edges of the windows are - so much I've had premier support staff get caught out by it when on remote support calls.

If you run 'older' products such as SCCM, and…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Filter start menu search results windows 10

The windows search exclutions does not work with the windows 10 start menu search. The windows explorer restriction are not active either. Users can find to much wich an administrator does not want. Like unc paths hidden drives en executable when you not the full file name.

There a many excutables in the windows (sytem32) folder students are trying to abuse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. add lnk to application control policies

Add to posibility to control from where lnk files can be used. Lnk files can be used to start a single line script or start executable with extra parameters an administrator is not happy with. My suggestion is to add this file type to the "application control policies"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. auto rotation

I own a surface and when I move by accident and the keyboard is still attached there should be a small window not to rotate the screen, it could be used to determine sleep. through motion and inactivity.. this could leads to less battery drain. by keeping the screen off often.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base