General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A correct running Windows server should not have 1 or 2 Errors on the dashboard

On a normal working Windows 2016 server I pretty much always have 1 or 2 errors on the Server manager dashboard. Those 2 errors pretty much always relate to 2 services that have no use on a server as they relate to user stuff like syncronising mail and maps.
    Could you either simply by default disable those 2 services on a server or make the server manager smarter by not reporting those 2 services not running as an error. By the way, the Sync_Host... service seems to appear and disappear at random.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Installing Windows 2019 iso should fit on a single DVD.

I recently downloaded a 2019 Server ISO file and discovered it is too big to write to a DVD. But Windows Server 2019 also requires a GPT partitioned bootable drive. The only thumb drives I had available were too small, or were initialized as MBR. And then I discovered that a lot of thumb drives can't be initialized as GPT drives. What with that, and the previous time spent tracking down potential problems, I have now been working on updating a server to 2019 for a month, and still have not even started the actual update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. New training and certification for Windows Server 2019

When will new training and certifications be released for Windows Server 2019? Microsoft Learning or the Windows Server team has posted nothing about it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. bionic ubuntu repo under packages.microsoft.com is broken

bionic ubuntu repo under packages.microsoft.com is broken

It looks like the InRelease file is not in sync with actual files which leads to the following apt update failrues:

apt update
    Hit:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease
    Hit:2 https://deb.nodesource.com/node_10.x bionic InRelease
    Get:3 https://packages.microsoft.com/ubuntu/18.04/prod bionic InRelease [3226 B]
    Hit:4 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ansible/ansible/ubuntu bionic InRelease
    Get:5 https://packages.microsoft.com/ubuntu/18.04/prod bionic/main amd64 Packages [72.5 kB]
    Err:5 https://packages.microsoft.com/ubuntu/18.04/prod bionic/main amd64 Packages
    File has unexpected size (72463 != 72485). Mirror sync in progress? [IP: 40.76.35.62 443]
    Hashes of expected file:
    - Filesize:72485 [weak]
    - SHA512:c26c6c86803325466bd742789acc9e54a745d045a6b3af1ce26d34e98c9a4904c6873db0cc9b2be7f99385ef6e6237f6e5cd6776fe6c0a1737cae2a67f8566f9
    - SHA256:3fe8d8513549a43d26d917287a5a832d0c577ee62ac37b1daae5aade614dff54
    - SHA1:e2a5cc1ecb44c77caa98eebac08b9d9f4b1e8215 [weak]
    - MD5Sum:30a55059e4b9ef8d02cca7e7acc01cdb [weak]
    Release file created at: Tue, 20 Aug 2019 22:43:21…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. In Task Manager | Details Screen add column for PID Start Time

In Task Manager | Details Screen add column for PID Start Time. How many times during trouble shooting do you ask the question "How long has this PID/Task been running?". Sure you can go get Pro0cess Manager and install it. You can search Event Logs. You can do a lot of things. But wouldn't the easiest be look in Task Manager and just select a column that says "Start Time"?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make it easier & quicker to deleat old emails.

Need a way to delete a large number of old emails. I have some 4,000+ emails going back to 2003. I've moved several times & most are no longer needed or of use. Yes, I have an older machine & Windows Live Mail. Besides doing it one by one, I find no way to delete - say a page of old emails at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. GPT to MBR confusion

You say conversion from GPT to MBR needs the disc to be empty, but what about the operating system (which surely must be there for any kind of normal / user-friendly dialogue

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Conditional format/access of files in a folder or folder within folder

About me: Name: Dr. Umesh R. A., Assistant professor, Dept of Statistics, Aegis School of Data Science. I am from non-technical background. Windows 10 user.
    Hello,
    Senario1: Assume I am a researcher. I have collection of tones of research articles with different keywords. there should be something to assign specific keywords/Tag to article1 (Say A, B, C), article2 (Say B, D, E) and article3 (Say A, D, F)… Like pivot table.. I should get article 2 and 3 when I search keyword “D”. Sometimes this process is fine for text document (we can search text)… but very difficult in case…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Programmers learn their programs and forget Naive users do not

Working month on a software undate blinds the helf maker to how a Naive individual *me" understands as well. Make sure that these new items can be handled by the Naive customer. Some idea whoulc be: Flag new features, peraps a flag until the user has awareness of a change in how to use the new feature. Provide a trail to get to the steps needed. Validate the user interfae as usable - the Naive User undertands less then the programmer. Provide a "fiinder" - for example I once forgot safe mode. I got into it fast and then spent…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Slipstreamed new features show up unannounced with no linked help

New features are often accompanied by soome help in the form or a multistep how to fix. There should be a link to the fix -- and six written ssteps. A a minimum shere should be a temporary window to guide me rather than having me have to copy these steps down as looosingn the instructions while rying to do them is no fun.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I have three laptops with W10. Why do they look different?

My three Dell Laptops are all the same Inspirons. One is from an ungrade from W8, The other two are new buys. They do not have the same opening screen disoays. W10 should look as much alike as possible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I get a lot of demanded updates of Windows 10 just before I must leave with my laptop

Microsoft Windows 10 demands an update, I ama often shutidng down to go with my machine to an appoitmen. There should be the ability for me to defer the uncate unless the update is massively rcritical. Being late for a meeting gets me into big troubles. There once was such a tool

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Start over

Go back to caring about what your customers want and stop bullying people into the cloud.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. windows 10 repair

windows 10 find downloads

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 'Sort' fucntion on the meeting tracking status (in Outlook) and export to list

When booking large meetings it would be useful to be able to sort the attendees lists by accepted, tentative, declined and none. At the moment it is just a bit of a mess to look at and hard to read. grouping them together would be much easier. It often means resorting to rewriting the list either by hand or in word. You could also export the table to excel which would also solve this problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. When will EVAL Server 2019 be available? We have 2019 already...

The new eval version is still not available at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2019 - but there is nothing new to download, only the redirection so https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/windowsserver/2018/11/13/update-on-windows-server-2019-availability/
    I was among the lucky ones who got it in the few hours it was available, but it complains at every installation when I don't disconnect the network, even when I integrated the update in the WIM/ISO.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. After your update my computer abruptly shuts off. HP ran an hardware check and there is no hardware problem. YOU HAVE NO SUPPORT FOR THIS PR

After your update my computer abruptly shuts off. HP ran an hardware check and there is no hardware problem. YOU HAVE NO SUPPORT FOR THIS PROBLEM. WHY ????????????

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change General Feedback Page

Change the link on the General Feedback page to https://support.microsoft.com/oas so that it takes you to a place where you can actually select Windows Server instead of just Windows 10. I had to call support to find this out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Scroll to Change The Wall

Nothing..lets give scroll up down button of mouse a work to change the desktop wallpaper if the user keeps on scrolling. The user can make a collection of wallpapers assigning each wallpaper a mood or can keep group of wallpapers in a different package of different moods..i think you are getting it what i mean, And then he dont need to always go through setting to change the wallpaper he just need to scroll up or down using mouse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base