General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Two-click sign-out

Bring back a quick two-click "sign-out" path.

In W2016 TP5 signing out requires, Right-click - Click - Click

I prefer my RDS users signing-out rather than disconnecting. It makes system maintenance and software upgrades easier.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Disable Windows Store for regular users.

Regular users are allowed to install Apps. This shouldn't be allowed on server . Any GPO I tried on W2016 TP5 had no effect.

Also, I don't understand why an "Application" would not be a "software" and why there is a need for "Application Control Policies" GPO beside "Software Restriction Policies" GPO.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Wifi crashes explorer in TP5

When you click on the wireless network that you want to use, your previously entered Wifi password WPA key is not remembered and needs to be entered every time you reboot. That's not all, however after I click enter after typing in my password, the network settings window crashes and creates dump file everytime, Explorer is the application that crashes after entering my Wifi password.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Bug: TP5: Notepad.exe often crashes when closing text files

Repro 1:
    1) browse around the file system or any zip files, double click on any .txt files you find to read them.
    2) Click 'X' in the top right of notepad to close out of notepad.

Repro 2:
    1) open explorer and click on "Documents" in the treeview to show your documents (and a folder you should definitely have permissions to).
    2) In the area showing your folders and files, right click and choose to create a new text document. (I named it test.txt)
    3) Double click the new text file and add some text. (I wrote "hello")
    4)…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Windows Server Start Menu at least like Windows 7 Start Menú and old classic start menu.

Please, no more mobile UI and flat and ugly design like Windows 10.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bug: Task Scheduler CalendarTrigger Repetition not working in Server 2016TP5

Scheduled tasks on the current TP5 of Windows Server 2016, which have a CalendarTrigger with repetition configured, don't seem to trigger and cannot be started manually.
    The same trigger without repetition (e.g. after unchecking the "Repeat task every:" checkbox in taskschd.msc) works correctly.
    A TimeTrigger with the same repetition configuration works, too.
    taskschd.msc calculates and displays the next runtime correctly.

When I try to start such a task manually in taskschd.msc, a message box appears (running any other task works):
    de-DE: "Der Aufgabenplanungsdienst ist nicht verfügbar. Die Aufgabenplanung wird erneut versuchen, eine Verbindung herzustellen."
    en-US: "Task Scheduler service is not…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Windows 2016 start menu search on GUI should be as comprehensive as Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2

When I hit start and type "Active", for example, the start menu correctly finds "Active Directory Users and Computers", "Active Directory Domains and Trusts", etc. on Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2.
    that is NOT the case in Windows 2016 TP5. I have to type in "administrative" to get to "Windows Administrative Tools" and then run my mmc.

I don't know if it is a setting I should enable (maybe Cortana), or I have to wait for some indexing to finish (I've already waited waaay to long; besides Windows 2012R2 does not have this index-wait-time) for this comprehensive search to happen,…

103 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Gathering feedback from the field (WaaS - Branches, Apps)

Hi together,

all my previous customers asked me how to gather feedback internally from the field when moving to Windows 10 with the WaaS model.

Microsoft (we) should provide a tool where end users can send feedback internally regarding to the current branches. Here it should be possible to divide this feedback into 2 parts - OS feedback and Application feedback. Also a LOB-App-List should be possible to attach. So the end user in the field chooses between OS or App, which are predefined and provides feedback in a traffic light style with standardized error values e.g. not working, performance…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Ink And Handwriting Services

Noticed that in Windows Server 2016 TP5 with latest cumulative update (KB3158987) Ink And Handwriting Services feature is missing:
    Get-WindowsFeature | Where-Object {$_.Name -like 'ink'}
    returns no results... Looking at the files on the disk drive (C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink) it seem that feature is actually installed. Some applications which relay on this feature fail during installation/instantiation since they determine feature is not installed. There was not mention in the release notes of the TP4 and TP5 in which this feature is no longer present (it was still present in TP3). Please fix this or suggest a workaround.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Please keep same logic for control panel running app wuapp

I do updates PC / servers so many times that typing ms-config:windowsupdates rather than wuapp is boring, please keep these shortcuts in the Windows + R commands

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Different colors in files

Different Colors for various files in a folder to have a better overview of your files and documents.
    If you create a folder, in which you want to highlight several files, it would be an enormous help to be able to mark your files in various colors, so you can find them easier and have a better time organizing your documents

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Hybrid Search of File Server with Office 365.

I want to search files on on-pre file servers by Office 365 Search without SharePoint Server.

Office 365 Hybrid Search with SharePoint Server 2016 can search files in on-pre file servers.
    I want Office 365 Hybrid Search with Windows Search.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. How do I send appreciate to Microsoft for this site?

How do I send appreciate for this site? This is a great service. Id like to show my appreciation.

• Is it possible to throw some like buttons on responses? P

• Perhaps social integration to share certain issues?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. NTFS security like , user can read write and modifies the files and folders, sub folders but can not delete any of them.

NTFS security like , user can read write and modifies the files and folders, sub folders but can not delete any of them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Server Core

Get back possibility to switch between Server Core and GUI

Since TP3 it is no longer possible to switch between the different user interface types. I think it is absolutely mandatory to get this option back untill RTM of Server 2016

134 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Dashboard in Hyper V manager for virtual machines

Hi,

It would be great and helpful if there is a dashboard view in
    hyper-V Manager

Dashboard with basic details like
    Total no of VM
    No of VM running /Off
    OS details in VM
    Utilization / available free stoarge in Hyper V

Just like what we get in VMM console

This dashboard will be helpful in envrinment where there is not VMM in place

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow KMS to Store Computer Name and Last Activation Date in WID / SSEE

Inventory is always a challenge and KMS is a great opportunity to help. Add an option to allow KMS to store computer name and last activation date in WID / SSEE Windows Integrated Database. Update slmgr.vbs to add an option to export a text file from the database. If the KMS protocol transmits other information such as Windows OS version or Microsoft Office version, also store this in the database.

Thanks

Steven

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SD boot

SD is becoming a common feature on many servers. I understand that Microsoft, via an OEM, will support booting Hyper-V Server from USB. SD is a low-cost option for deploying servers that would get all their storage from SAN or SMB, but Microsoft needs to support (not OEMs) Windows Server booting from SD.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make a search box in windows services

With a huge list of services in Windows services, I would like to have a search box to find rapidly a Windows services. Thanks for vote if you think that will be a good idea.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base