General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Dedicated Event Log for Windows Firewall Activity (pfirewall.log in the event logs)

A dedicated Windows Event log for Windows Firewall activity - like pfirewall.log provides - would make centralized logging and reporting much easier and lead to greater adoption of the built in firewall. IPSec logging to the security Event Log is not a robust answer, as it causes too much log churn for most enterprises.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Dedupe on ReFS and Hyper-V non-VDI scenarioes...

Please please please add support for Dedupe on ReFS volumes! If you want us to start using the new filesystem then you really should implement Dedupe as well. Also support for Dedupe on other than VDI loads would really be nice. It works very well, so why not??

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Support for Network Policy Server (NPS) Role on Server Core

Network Policy Server is an infrastructure services role much like ADDS, ADCS, DNS, and DHCP.

We need to have support for this role added to Server Core. Requiring a GUI for this role means more patches, wasted CPU cycles and wasted memory.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Disable Hardware Offloads By Default

The vast majority of issues I encounter in the Hyper-V community, are related to hardware offloads such as VMQ and ODX. Microsoft is relying on drivers and firmwares that OEMs are either releasing with incorrect default configurations (VMQ enabled on 1 GbE NICs) or buggy releases (ODX corrupting VHD/X files). And to be honest, I'm thinking of getting business cards printed with "turn off VMQ" and "turn off ODX" on them.

The customers blame Microsoft because "Hyper-V is buggy". It's time to shift the blame on OEMs and to stop giving us the tired line of "we're working with OEMs".…

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Include support for Group Managed Service Accounts in Task Scheduler GUI

The GUI does not accept entering a gMSA as user for a scheduled task. This can only be done from PowerShell, and after doing that it is not possible to edit the task from GUI.

I would love to see gMSA support in the scheduled tasks GUI.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Disable logon screen background image by default

On Windows Server 2016 Eval (with Desktop Experience), the background image of logon screen is enabled by default.

I feel it would be better to disable by default than to enable.I think such a feature is not needed on the server product and it's better to be simple and to minimize resources for non-service.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Change Your Thinking

I recently downloaded Server 2016 from my VL portal, got it installed/configured for testing, and I just thought I would share my discontent with the product (or unimpressed is likely a better wording). This does not require any input from anyone, or have any questions that need to be answered.

I dislike that they removed the ability to convert from GUI to Core, or Core to GUI. That was a great feature! Sorry I am not a PowerShell guru, but these feature allowed me to be flexible. Add this back in! I read your reasoning online. Find a way to…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Run group policy update silently when run from Group Policy Management

On Server 2012 when running Group Policy Update from within the Group Policy Management Console the update runs interactive on the targeted systems. This makes the feature pretty much obsolete as you can't run a group policy update in real time urgently if it means the perception of interfering with end users.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 (RSAT) fr-CA

I live in Québec in Canada and we would love to install the RSAT tool with our regional parameter but it is not available actually.

We need to install a language pack to successfully install it

Can you release a version of the RSAT tool for fr-CA ?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Make ISO hashes / checksums publicly accessible

Currently volume licensing and most other MS portals don't provide (SHA, MD5 or any) filehashes.
    I learned that later this year MS is planning to update the VLSC portal to support this. That's good news.

It would be a bonus to see the hashes on a true public part of the portals or otherwise on www.microsoft.com without any form of subscription.
    Reason is that only a limited number of persons have an account that can actually download ISO’s from VLSC. On the other hand, a lot of IT admins cannot download themselves but use these ISO’s and have to rely…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. [Bug] Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials

The Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials for the Windows Admin Center when adding computers or installing extensions, and it often does so twice in a row.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. to take out the google search from Microsoft

my idea is to take out the google search from Microsoft and we create new search like google for Microsoft and it only used my Microsoft windows and I named it has micro search means even micro issue also will not escape means better then google search and lastly my hamble request sir please think about if we use this idea no company will beat the microsoft and have a nice day

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Upgrade from LTSC to Semi-Annual Channel

Prior to the announcement of Semi-Annual Channel we deployed a few Server 2016 Core machines. With the new 1709 release, I would like to be able to convert my existing machines to semi-annual.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. GPO for default programs

Edge is potentially awesome, but COMPLETELY unfinished at Win 10 RTM, and until finished, unusable. Even as a consumer, after hours, I can't use Edge because it doesn't support IE features I use.

This is the ONLY significant impediment to adopting Win 10, here.

I need to be able to set IE11 as the default browser through GPO until Edge can truly replace it.

Give me granular filetype/protocol selections and I'll only set IE11 as the default where I need it.

But give ME the control, or we will stay on Win 7 until Edge is finished.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create search button in "services.msc"

Create search button in "services.msc" in Windows Server versions

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Finally, please describe for each executable (standalone & services) it's necessity to access the Internet

This is a security issue.

Hello

It's really strange that we use operating systems which do not describe its executables and their eligibility to access the internet.

If we monitor which programms access the internet on a Windows Machine, then we really often have to google for its executable name and just get informations like "we do'nt know what it does, but it is probably safe to allow internet access".

Therefore, please:
    1) Finally, create a professional application & service architecture. No, to route everything over svchost.exe is not a secure design. Not at all.

2) Finally, create a datasheet…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. CEP/CES installation requires Enterprise Admins membership

The scenario is installation of CEP/CES (both are part of Windows AD Certificate Services role) and the problem is that this installation requires membership in either Enterprise Admins or root Domain Admins groups.
    Would like to suggest to remove this hard coded requirement and provide normal delegation options where we can exactly provide to the installation user account minimum rights for performing CEP/CES installation.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. revert from.ESD to .WIM so DISM will work

Many of your Windows users depend upon DISM repair so I suggest you revert to .WIM. .ESD can convert to .WIM but the level required to do so is above the majority of your users.
    Please escalate.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. restore old posts from blogs.technet.com

blogs.technet.com had several valuable articles (ie. VMQ deep-dive,etc,etc) that were covering the lack of documentation in the official Product portal (docs.Microsoft.com / technet.microsoft.com) . since hte move to https://techcommunity.microsoft.com several of those articles are lost.

Please restore them or transfer the contents to docs.microsoft.com

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Initiate SCCM Wake-on-LAN from the Secondary Site Servers/DPs.

Request for Wake-on-LAN (WoL) to be initiated from the Secondary Site Servers and DPs. Currently only the Primary Servers are able to initiate WoL but due to certain security concerns and geographical challenges, multicast and unicast broadcasts is either not permitted or limited. These limitations prevents the Primary Server to wake up clients at remote locations. If WoL traffic is initiated on the Site Servers and DPs, the WoL traffic will remain within their respective local networks while maintaining a security posture by blocking external unicast and multicast traffic.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base