General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop the "Windows update madness" on WS2016!

Dear Microsoft Windows Server team. We would like _complete control_ over when we would like our our WS2016 to install windows updates! No more slow / timeconsuming server restarts because of "Getting Windows ready. Do not turn off your computer" messages when we just would like a quick restart of a production server.. No more TiWorker.exe using 100% of a CPU core during "*********" and so on.. And please fix the issues with '2017-08 Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4035631)' asap. Thank you.

344 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

78 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Windows Updates shouldn't fail constantly or take hours to complete

I have a number of 2016 servers. It seems like 99% of them fail when doing automatic updates. I am able to install them manually by going through sconfig and selecting option 6 but it takes FOREVER. During installation, the CPU or Memory isn't maxed out at 100% so I have no idea what is causing it to take forever. All other previous versions of Windows run and install updates just fine in the same VMware environment.

260 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

47 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Change PC Name without restart

It is one of the most critical problem of Windows. Is not easy, I know this, but change the PC Name without force the restart could be one for the most important thing.

Requirements:

- Cannot be DC
    - Cannot be Exchange Server or SQL Server

Scenarios where this feature could be interesting:

- Change naming convention of same machines
    - File Server
    - IIS
    - RDS
    - Hyper-V

S

77 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SD boot

SD is becoming a common feature on many servers. I understand that Microsoft, via an OEM, will support booting Hyper-V Server from USB. SD is a low-cost option for deploying servers that would get all their storage from SAN or SMB, but Microsoft needs to support (not OEMs) Windows Server booting from SD.

48 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Windows Defender Automatic update

Give us the option to allow Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016 to update automatically.
    Why would anyone want to wait for a maintenance window to install windows defender updates via windows update?

If I turn on automatically install updates everything would be installed including definition updates but the server might reboot because of system and security updates.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Upgrade a server running core to the next version. Example 1709 to 1803

Please post the methods to upgrade Short Term Service Branch Servers. If we are going to be living with these servers for less then 18 months we need to understand the methods for upgrades.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Finer WSUS categories, especially by architecture and Windows 10 subversion

I end up declining 80% of all WSUS updates, because my products all use x64 architecture, hence I don't need ARM64, Itanium or IA-32 updates. As for Windows 10, I don't need updates for versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709. There should be an easy way to tell WSUS not get any of these updates during synchronization.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. GUI for DNS policies and rate-limiting

Please implement GUI for configuring DNS policies and DNS rate-limiting in Windows Server 2016.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Windows update / SQL update needs to have more control

I just had SQL server restart at 9:36 am for me because of a microsoft update. I appreciate the importance of updating product, but I should never have to apologize to my customers for 10 minutes of down time while SQL is restarting. Active hours shouldn't be only 8 hours long. All in all the most frustrating part of running Windows 2016.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Windows Firewall Advanced - Allow rule by DNS name

It is very important to include in the "Scope" tab, within a Windows Firewall rule, to release DNS names and not just IP addresses.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Windows Server 2016 updates take over an hour, unacceptable!

Updates in Server2012 and even Server2008 are much quicker and you at least get a gauge as to how long.
    Not the useless 'Getting windows ready' + rotating dots, aaaarrggghhh!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Significantly increase the number of Banned IPs that can be stored in ADFS.

ADFS 2019 allows for 300 IPs to be added to the "Banned IP list"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/configure-ad-fs-banned-ip#adding-banned-ips

As there are nearly four billion public IPs on the internet, 300 is woefully inadequate.

Small customers that are only trying to block a few users aren't likely using ADFS anyway. Large organizations that rely on ADFS will hit the 300 limit almost immediately.

I'd like to see this number raised to 65538 (/16) or something similar.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. hide power button from terminal server users

TS users keep hitting the powerbutton. can we change the behaviour of the power button or hide it entirely

they intend to log off but they keep powering the server down.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. configure the winrm client without starting the winrm server

When trying to user psremoting you have to add a trusted host to your client's trusted hosts. This is fine and we normally default to '*' for developer machines that need to talk to prod and other infra. The problem is that this also requires the developer machine to start the winrm service which 'allows the computer to recieve Windows Powershell remote commands that are sent using the WS-Management technology'. I get pushback from devs who don't want to run this server service and see it as an unecessary security risk. We typically don't need CredSSP or have issues with…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Give back System Protection tab

and system restore as is in Win10

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support full in-place upgrade

I believe it would help a lot of organizations if in-place upgrade of Windows Server to newer builds was fully supported. With the change of release schedule it would make it easier for smaller organizations and one-box setups to stay up to date.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2016, WDS, Deduplication: Option to disable RES.WIM usage

A bit of history here. Windows Deployment Services has been around for quite a number of years, and it uses a file-based deduplication mechanism to conserve disk space.

When we capture an image with WDS, what it is actually doing is creating hashes for all files on the disk and then checking to see if those hashes are present in RES.WIM. Any hashed files not present in RES.WIM are copied up to the server, added to RES.WIM, and then the disk image itself is just a list of hashes to pull out of RES.WIM to reconstruct the image.

Without deduplication,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Windows server images should not install deskop services such as Maps, One sync

Windows server should have the option to NOT install desktop services which are very unlikely to be used in a corporate environment these include Maps, Onsync, and XBox. Not only do they appear to be unnecessary they cause false positives with system monitoring software.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base