General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. pagefile

Following this discussion:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c5f2786c-ffac-4f14-b7a9-00612cdf784e/server-2016-vm-hangs-shutting-downrestarting-when-the-pagefile-is-on-a-different-vhdx?forum=winserverhyperv

The core problem is the following, for example (simple config), for Exchange or SQL servers in a HYPER-V VM under Windows 2016:

systemdrive for windows system (and sql, exchange core),
    datadrive for mbx data or sql-databases
    datadrive for log file
    drive for pagefile

We create for all this drive a separat VHDX file and add this to the VM as SCSI drive.

The drive for pagefile (fast SSD, NVMe or other) is exclusiv for the pagefile reserved. No other data on it. The drive for pagefile is the only drive with a pagefile for this vm.…

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Fix .NET-incompatibility with Essentials Dashboard on Server 2016

With the latest .Net updates the dashboard is not useable anymore: Warnings can't be ignored or deleted, computers can't be removed...
    Only the progressbar appears, cpu usage rises to 100% and dashboard gets stuck or crashes.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Update Essentials 2012 R2 Dashboard to be compatible with current .NET releases

If any .NET version after 4.5.2 is installed, some dashboard functionality fails (can't remove computer, can't ignore alert) and the dashboard crashes randomly. Removing and blocking .NET 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 works around the issue, but that means the server is limited to the 4-year-old .NET 4.5.2. This article has more details:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add support to multi language server core 2019 when running on containers

Default servercore:1809 image came with en-US.

- At this moment, for Server Core 2019, you have to install language pack by yourself: https://docs.microsoft.com/pt-br/windows-server/get-started-19/rel-notes-19.
    - The way to do it, is using lpksetup: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4466511/cannot-configure-language-pack-for-windows-server-2019
    - But lpksetup.exe crashes when running on container

I've described step by step how to reproduce lpksetup.exe error on container, **producing crash report logs** that I've extracted from container.
    All here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/issues/1#issuecomment-453078549

With extra details here: https://github.com/sanguedemonstro/docker-playground/blob/master/langpack-on-servercore2019.md#why-am-i-playing-around-this-subject

But I'm not able to understand logs or fix windows base image. And I can't open support ticket once I'm not MS partner.

So if anyone could help I'm…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Resolve the Windows Server 2019 bug stopping it from booting on certain servers with UEFI enabled when the Hyper-V Role is installed.

There's a pretty big problem on some servers (at least two Dell PET Servers I've tried so far) that stops Server 2019 from booting/goes into a boot loop once the Hyper-V role is installed.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. WSUS on Win2012: Fix issue that causes Windows Server 2016 clients OS to be listed as "Windows (Version 10)"

When using WSUS on Windows 2012 (WSUS 4.x), the WSUS console incorrectly lists Windows Server 2016 clients with Operating System "Windows (Version 10)". This is confusing to customers, and causes them concerns related to reporting, as well as the ability to update Win2016 clients with WSUS on Windows 2012.

This issue does not occur with WSUS on Windows 2016, where Windows Server 2016 clients are listed with Operating System as "Windows Server 2016 <edition>".

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Bug : Task Scheduler Repeat Calendar Trigger

Scheduled tasks on Windows Server 2016, with a Repeat Calendar Trigger, do not appear to start after restarting the server.
    The date of departure being exceeded there is no more triggering. The date of the next trigger is correct but nothing happens.
    The manual trigger works correctly.
    To reactivate trigger it is necessary to set a later date on the current date.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Windows Server 2016: The message "Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way" has displayed

When I tried to update my Windows Server 2016 from Settings menu, The message "Good news! The Windows 10 Creators Update is on its way. Want to be one of the first to get it?" has shown.
    Even though WS2016 and Win10 is different OS.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Windows Server 2016 loses NTFS permissions

Folder structure (example):

Company (Company is shared as Company)
    Sales
    Administration
    Office

Folder Company:
    Share permissions:
    Everyone, Change

NTFS permissions:
    Group “Alle_MAs”, Read, This folder only
    Group “Admin”, “System”, Full control
    right inheritance, disabled

Supfolders of Company (Sales, Administration, Office):
    Folder „Sales“, Group „Sales“, Change
    Folder „ Administration“, Group „ Administration“, Change
    Folder „ Office“, Group „ Office“, Change

For example, if I delete the folder “Sales”, on the share “Company”, all NTFS permissions have disappeared except for “Administratos” and “System”

Thanks for your help
    Michael

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Fix Windows Server 2019 Active Directory Domain Controller and Environment Bugs

It would appears I'm not the only one experiencing the issue, I did a fresh install promote it to a Windows Server 2016 Forest and Domain AD. After the reboot I realize the Start Menu settings cannot be changed, next I found that whole load of permission error whenever I try to launch anything that requires Administrator privilege including Server Manager, Settings and Control Panel. After that I went to check the permission settings of the C drive and Windows folder as compared to previous version of Windows Server, "Authenticated Users" is no longer part of the default permissions. This…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. 16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Get-WindowsCapability Windows 10 Enterprise 1709

If have some issues with Dism after a new Installation with Windows 10 1709 and Upgrade from Windows 1703 to 1709.

Get-WindowsCapability : Error "Get-WindowsCapability". Errorcode: 0x800f0954
    Line:1 Zeichen:1
    + Get-WindowsCapability -online
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Get-WindowsCapability], COMException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.GetWindowsCapabilityCommand

Some Lines from Dism Logfile:

DISM OS Provider: PID=7180 TID=6088 Unable to set the DLL search path to the servicing stack folder. C:\Windows may not point to a valid Windows folder. - CDISMOSServiceManager::Final_OnConnect

DISM Provider Store: PID=7180 TID=6088 Failed to load the provider: C:\Users\ADMIN~1.TES\AppData\Local\Temp\38977CD8-C67C-463B-8721-E72E5E46A990\PEProvider.dll. - CDISMProviderStore::Internal_GetProvider(hr:0x8007007e)

DISM Provider Store: PID=7180 TID=6088 Failed to get and…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Scheduled Tasks do not store domain information of runas account

If you create a scheduled task in Server 2016, the domain information of the user is not saved or stored.
    Getting the principal with powershell or exporting the task as xml does not show the domain information either.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bug: Task Scheduler CalendarTrigger Repetition not working in Server 2016TP5

Scheduled tasks on the current TP5 of Windows Server 2016, which have a CalendarTrigger with repetition configured, don't seem to trigger and cannot be started manually.
    The same trigger without repetition (e.g. after unchecking the "Repeat task every:" checkbox in taskschd.msc) works correctly.
    A TimeTrigger with the same repetition configuration works, too.
    taskschd.msc calculates and displays the next runtime correctly.

When I try to start such a task manually in taskschd.msc, a message box appears (running any other task works):
    de-DE: "Der Aufgabenplanungsdienst ist nicht verfügbar. Die Aufgabenplanung wird erneut versuchen, eine Verbindung herzustellen."
    en-US: "Task Scheduler service is not…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Server 2012 R2 VM Live Migration to Server 2019, VM won't boot after shutting down

If you use Hyper V Live Migration from Server 2012 R2 (not sure if any other OS) to migrate to Server 2019. The migration works but as soon as you shut down the VM and try to start it again, will no longer boot. It turns on/off 3 times and remains off.

I also did cluster to cluster migration in VMM and this is the same behaviour.

It looks like it is due the migrated MAC address, if I set the VM to get a new dynamic mac address it seems to work. If I set it to it's original…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Windows Server 2016 Update Needs to be FIXED

Unacceptable windows server 2016 updates will take 48 hours to complete. My Linux servers will update in 10 minutes of time. This slow update process is akin to taking 48 hours to fill gas tank on your car. FIX IT ALREADY.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Server core version of Windows server 2016 doesn't support DFSR static port assignment.

Server core version of Windows server 2016 doesn't support DFSR static port assignment.

DFSRDiag.exe and DFSR powershell are not available to assign static port to DFSR in server core version

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Windows server 2016 has the wrong version number when retrieving it by SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0

Retrieving the server version by SNMP returns the wrong version number for Windows 2016 Server. I'm getting "6.3" instead of the expected "10.0". Using SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 to retrieve the version.

Please fix

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

investigating  ·  6 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. SeShutdownPrivelege, SeUndockPrivelege, and SeTimeZonePrivelege not added to Administrators Group... only for Built-in Admin

SeShutdownPrivelege, SeUndockPrivelege, and SeTimeZonePrivelege are not added to Administrators Group... only for Built-in Admin. This makes it so setting the timezone via the timedate.cpl in Server Core impossible if logged in as Domain Admin. This also makes ExitWindowsEx function in MSVC unusable on 2019.

Previously, these worked on 2016. A workaround is to add the user (or users group) account via the Security Policy for User Rights Assessment in gpedit.msc.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Windows 2016 - Scheduled Task Access for non-admin Domain users

In Windows server 2016 we are unable to provide access on scheduled tasks for non-admin domain users. This is doable in windows 2012 by adding the permissions to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks folder but it is not working in windows 2016.

Is this a know issue/bug with windows 2016 ?

Thank You In Advance

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base