General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Software Inventory Logging (SILA) SQL Conversion (Localization?) Bug

SILA complements the built-in SIL. After tricking the setup to successfully install on a German server using an existing database (see my install localization bug report) another issue pops up.

Executing Sop-SilAggregator in PowerShell will result in a .Net SqlClient Data Provider InvalidOperation exception referring to conversion problems from nvarchar to datetime with the value being out-of-range (see screenshot with German error message).

This raises suspicion to be a German vs. US date format issue ("23.10.2017 22:44:00" German vs. "10/23/2017 10:44:00pm" US vs. "2017-10-23 22:44:00" ISO).

https://gntmrw-am3pap001.files.1drv.com/y4mQHyfRpoGlajra0F8TFHjtfjQM8wm-ijcChA-Q-O7ABZYMGfnoSM09fsLdH8YdnGv05o5v7PhZ5FBD6BrExpqULVfJj1KCJh3YBM-n03BsLc7wsHt2Jmk-EkoZ7Ek23pA_04nw1ntgs7O0z2V5cIC1t2L1v2q8656QXZ8Ytuna6qrl3cz4Iji2OFjP46sEnLaXZBOYcqYDJAytaib8g?width=994&height=834&cropmode=none

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Software Inventory Logging Aggregator (SILA) Disjoint Namespace Bug

SILA complements the built-in SIL but it seems the MSI (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49046) has an AD DNS domain/NetBIOS domain disjoint namespace bug.

Assume you had an NT4 domain: OLD_DOMAIN
    Migrating to AD you created a proper DNS domain: mydomain.net
    Now you have a disjoint namespace (NetBIOS vs. AD DNS).

Trying to install SILA on a remote server (not the SQL server itself) will lead to the following error:

Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Errors in the metadata manager. The 'Administrators' role includes domain account that does not exist. The following domain user account is no longer valid for this role: 'mydomain\SERVERNAME$'.
    at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesClient.SendExecuteAndReadResponse(ImpactDetailCollection impacts,…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Software Inventory Logging Aggregator (SILA) Install Localization Bug

SILA complements the built-in SIL but it seems the MSI (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49046) though having a German download and UI is not working properly on German (and maybe other localized) servers.

The setup breaks with an error regarding "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" which is localized to "NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM" on German servers.

Inspecting the MSI also shows one SQL script having "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" in hardcoded form.

https://gnt7uq-am3pap001.files.1drv.com/y4mtP2tOncjwsBEW4a23maV1aDWnWw4i9lN3gUP63UIEy1YNfHy8wQNipzec6JCKcvyVJT3GM7pTusRXzg6LP6gHYun0Ar7u85Z1LlUVP4jfkdtTGnGsh4KAdnJqEFaIJk0lb_6t3oFKlLHqpJBwb821PLZIPstwrNT5pdxNe4UX919JeqhOsBGxOHaVRc0Ja6d1z71gkdd2UTf4pGRLdNQBQ?width=1047&height=880&cropmode=none

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please reach out to ninjatrader support

Windows 10 offers a service called OneDrive that will need to remain disabled. This item will directly interfere with NinjaTrader Trading platform. https://www.ninjatraderbrokerage.com/ 1.800.496.1683

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Policy Analyzer Toolkit Open Source?

I am reading about the Policy Analyzer. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/secguide/2016/10/22/policy-analyzer-v3-1-pre-release

Microsoft has been moving more projects open source into Git. Has there been any discussions about making this tool open? I imagine the community might be able to make some meaningful contributions. Based on the comments in this post there is lots of interest on this topic!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Windows Server 2016 - A directory service error has occurred - (80072095)

Here's an odd one.

Promote Windows Server 2016 to a domain controller.

Using Group Policy Management, edit the Default Domain Controllers Policy as follows:

Computer Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings - Security Settings - Local Policies - Security Options - Network security: Configure encryption types allowed for Kerberos

Choose
    AES128HMACSHA1
    AES256HMACSHA1
    Future encryption types

Restart your domain controller.

Using Group Policy Management, edit the Default Domain Controllers Policy as follows:

Computer Configuration - Policies - Windows Settings - Security Settings

Notice that an IP Security Policy Management error appears.

A directory service error has occurred…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Console interface

This belongs to Win10 Home and Pro but i cant find the link to it.

It would be great if theres an application for Win10 Home and Pro, which behaves and looks like an xbox one. I want to use my computer with my tv and wireless controller, just like a regular console.

• starting and shutting down the computer and games and steam, uplay,...

• no mouse and keyboard needed

• controlling absolutely everything with the controller

• one-click-switch to change between computer- and console-mode

That would be great

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Powershell Bug: hash tables of length 1 are corrupted when returned from a function.

function SomeFunction
    {

Write-Host "SomeFunction calling SomeOtherFunction"

$ht = SomeOtherFunction
    Write-Host "Hash Table Returned"
    for ($i=0; $i -lt $ht.length; $i++) {
    $arrayEntry1 = $ht[$i][0]
    $arrayEntry2 = $ht[$i][1]
    Write-Host "($arrayEntry1, $arrayEntry2)"
    }

Write-Host "SomeFunction calling SomeOtherOtherFunction"
    $ht = SomeOtherOtherFunction
    Write-Host "Hash Table Returned"
    for ($i=0; $i -lt $ht.length; $i++) {
    $arrayEntry1 = $ht[$i][0]
    $arrayEntry2 = $ht[$i][1]
    Write-Host "($arrayEntry1, $arrayEntry2)"
    }

}

function SomeOtherFunction
    {

Write-Host "SomeOtherFunction added one entry into the hash table"

$myHashTable = @()
    $myHashTable += ,@(1,0.99)

Write-Host "This is what the hash table looks like before being returned."
    for ($i=0; $i -lt $myHashTable.length; $i++) {
    $arrayEntry1 = $myHashTable[$i][0] …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bug: In New-FileCatalog

This bug also applies to Test-FileCatalog, I believe.

Create a script containing the following commands, and run it with the -Verbose switch

[CmdletBinding()]

param ( $path = 'SOMEPATHOROTHER' )

New-FileCatalog -Path $path -CatalogFilePath C:\Source.cat -CatalogVersion 2.0
    New-FileCatalog -Path $path -CatalogFilePath C:\Destination.cat -CatalogVersion 2.0

The output will contain VERBOSE output, even though the script does not contain any Write-Verbose commands.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Make the eraser in OneNote more efficient

Hello everbody,

if I wrote something with the Apple Pencil or another Stylus on my iPad Pro and i want to erase something, it would be great if it is possilbe to select a color that i want to erase. The option to make the eraser bigger or smaller would be great, too.

Best regards,

Alex

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. A faster way to write again after using the eraser in OneNote

Hello everybody,

I am using the iPad Pro and if i want to erase something I have written with the Apple Pencil or another Stylus and i want to write again with another color, it should be possible to click directly on the color that I want and if I do this the last pen i used should be selected automatically in the color i selected.
    You see it is a simple comfort function and would be great.

Best regards,

Alex

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. In Windows if you want to look at your DCIM folder, the oldest data shows up first and it takes years to load the newest. Reverse please

In Windows if you want to look at your DCIM folder, the oldest data shows up first and it takes years to load the newest. Wouldnt it be better to see the newest first? Cause i am sure in most cases you want the new data as quick as possible

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Change the use of hyperlinks in the graphical user interface

In my opinion Microsoft is following a wrong paradigm when it comes to providing server admins with context based background information while working on a server desktop.
    It is regarding the use of referrals in the interface to sources on the internet in order to provide the administrator with more information. I know that, when Microsofts recommendation is followed and the core version is chosen, this is no issue at all, but since several server implementations still require the full graphical version (e.g. Exchange Server 2016) and many IT organisations still choose to use RDS for server administration, many admins…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Implement total file security for all computers connectd

I have a conceptual idea of how to secure all the communication, files, and computing resources without the regards where the resources are located. Basically, this would allow to control access to any file on the accessible network or a cloud using the infrastructure/code idea that I have in mind.

I had several conversation with the business owners about the security of the data (files and etc) when it comes to employees parting with the companies or trying to sabotage the resources. Business owners need total control of the data and preclude those leaving the company to copy the data…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. New software Invention Update for machinery

New software that causes machinery to become modern day technology and come alive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Wir brauchen einen Computer oder Laptop mit integriertem Drucker.

Hallo liebes Microsoft Team
    Ich habe oft darüber nachgedacht was der Menschheit fehlt die Geschäftlich oder auch Privat oft unterwegs sind. Stellen Sie sich einmal vor jemand der beruflich oft Reist, nie an einem Punkt ist hat so gut wie immer sein Notebook oder Laptop dabei. Jetzt muss der jenige was ausdrucken, aber wo ? Wie währe die Idee mit einem Laptop mit integriertem Drucker.
    Oder ein ALL IN ONE Rechner mit integriertem Drucker. Vielleicht hat man nicht soviel Platz zuhause oder man will sich etwas kaufen wo alles mit drinnen ist.

Ich würde mich über eure Meinung interessieren wie…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Replace the server GUI with a website

I do believe that servers do not need a GUI and probably should not have one for performance and security reasons. With Windows Server 2016, the default installation is Server Core, and I do think this is a very good thing.

However, there are scenarios when a GUI can be handy, particularly for small business with limited IT resources (for example, for the Essentials role). In this scenario, instead of installing a GUI on the server (with calculator, Explorer, Internet Explorer, etc.) the user should be able to access and configure the server from a webpage just like most routers…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Telecommute Add-on or App

Our company is largely a Microsoft shop. We are also looking to take advantage of telecommute work options. Right now there isn't a good solution that integrates well with the tools we use to help managers do their jobs remotely. It is largely left up to high volume communication between manager and employees. With all the pitfalls that entails.

My suggestion is a piece of software (maybe an Outlook addon) that can aggregate activity in most/all Microsoft products. For instance, it can show mail activity of your employees, TFS activity, Lync/Skype activity, etc... in one place to gauge productivity and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow Ethernet Connections to be Metered

Since only wifi connections can be metered it is not possible to control the application of updates. Anyone with an Ethernet connection to the internet can have long runs interrupted and days even weeks of work can be damaged. Allowing Ethernet connections to be metered should add a necessary degree of control.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base