General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Finer WSUS categories, especially by architecture and Windows 10 subversion

I end up declining 80% of all WSUS updates, because my products all use x64 architecture, hence I don't need ARM64, Itanium or IA-32 updates. As for Windows 10, I don't need updates for versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703 and 1709. There should be an easy way to tell WSUS not get any of these updates during synchronization.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. RSAT for Mac

I currently use a Windows 10 VM with Remote Server Administration Tools to manage our servers (about 3 years running now). Would be super sweet if you put together a version that runs natively on Mac. Super sweet.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. GUI for DNS policies and rate-limiting

Please implement GUI for configuring DNS policies and DNS rate-limiting in Windows Server 2016.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Remove all components not required for a minimal GUI

Server Core is great, and I intend to use it more and more, but I'd like for the GUI version to be as stripped down as possible.

Yes, Jeffrey, I know we should never use the GUI version except for RDS but reality is reality. People use it and it would benefit everyone if the GUI went on a diet.

I don't have any specifics in mind as to what should be removed. I'll leave that up to you all to figure out.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Fix Windows Server 2019 Active Directory Domain Controller and Environment Bugs

It would appears I'm not the only one experiencing the issue, I did a fresh install promote it to a Windows Server 2016 Forest and Domain AD. After the reboot I realize the Start Menu settings cannot be changed, next I found that whole load of permission error whenever I try to launch anything that requires Administrator privilege including Server Manager, Settings and Control Panel. After that I went to check the permission settings of the C drive and Windows folder as compared to previous version of Windows Server, "Authenticated Users" is no longer part of the default permissions. This…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Run group policy update silently when run from Group Policy Management

On Server 2012 when running Group Policy Update from within the Group Policy Management Console the update runs interactive on the targeted systems. This makes the feature pretty much obsolete as you can't run a group policy update in real time urgently if it means the perception of interfering with end users.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add cross-server service dependencies

If I have an application that needs SQL to be running on another server, it would be great to be able to add a dependency in my services control panel that would prevent that service from being started until it saw SQL running on another server, with an optional startup delay afterward.

In addition to this, in general, a "startup delay" you can specify in seconds for services would be beneficial. We've had some race conditions in our environment which have meant some services have failed to start due to network adapter/netlogon availabilty, and the options to correct this are…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. ADFS - Force authentication method per relying party on IDP-side

related to ADFS 2016:

it would be great if we can force a specific authentication method at ADFS for a relying party. in general forms and certificate authtentication is possible for our users, but for specific apps only certificate should be possible for security reasons. adding certificate as MFA is not a good solution from the users point of view because they will be forced to enter first their credentials before they have to use a certificate (which is more secure than forms and because of this sufficient).

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Windows update / SQL update needs to have more control

I just had SQL server restart at 9:36 am for me because of a microsoft update. I appreciate the importance of updating product, but I should never have to apologize to my customers for 10 minutes of down time while SQL is restarting. Active hours shouldn't be only 8 hours long. All in all the most frustrating part of running Windows 2016.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10 (RSAT) fr-CA

I live in Québec in Canada and we would love to install the RSAT tool with our regional parameter but it is not available actually.

We need to install a language pack to successfully install it

Can you release a version of the RSAT tool for fr-CA ?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Cleanup font cache files

Remove these unnecessary files when user logs off or print job is finished:

c:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local\~FontCache....dat

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Reward user feedback

It's all wonderful to post ideas here but some sort of rewards would be in order as we help you sell more software with great new features! ;-)

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Uninstall button greyed out in Software Center for applications that are pushed via a "required" collection

When deploying an application through a collection in "required" state, uninstall button is greyed out. This doesn't happen if the application is installed through a collection in "available" state. We would like to have the uninstall button always accessible, no matter if the application was pushed in a required state or not. Corruption happens all the time and technicians need to be able to uninstall/reinstall all the time. Because uninstall is greyed out, they have to use the control panel instead, which defeats the purpose of using Software Center.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Server Core allow background image / bginfo

Customers want to embrace Server core, however the learning curve can be steep for their internal teams.

Idea: Allowing background images to be set. This would enable scenarios like using BG info for quick system status , or images with instructions like "press ctrl alt delete if you have closed the last console window". This can be very beneficial for improving the learning curve!!

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Disable Windows Store for regular users.

Regular users are allowed to install Apps. This shouldn't be allowed on server . Any GPO I tried on W2016 TP5 had no effect.

Also, I don't understand why an "Application" would not be a "software" and why there is a need for "Application Control Policies" GPO beside "Software Restriction Policies" GPO.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. More flexibility in Windows Server Backup Scheduling

Current daily only (or more frequent) schedules in Server Backup mean that this does not work well on larger servers where the maintenance mode initiated for large (TB) volumes can mean backup running almost continuously. If Server Backup could have ability to run backups less frequently and with multiple schedules without having to manually configure this as command-line jobs through Task Scheduler (i.e. every Tue @ 3am backup system volumes, daily backup fast moving data volumes, every week or even two weekly backup of slow moving TB volumes, etc.), this would make the built in capabilities much more applicable in…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Make ISO hashes / checksums publicly accessible

Currently volume licensing and most other MS portals don't provide (SHA, MD5 or any) filehashes.
    I learned that later this year MS is planning to update the VLSC portal to support this. That's good news.

It would be a bonus to see the hashes on a true public part of the portals or otherwise on www.microsoft.com without any form of subscription.
    Reason is that only a limited number of persons have an account that can actually download ISO’s from VLSC. On the other hand, a lot of IT admins cannot download themselves but use these ISO’s and have to rely…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Windows Firewall Advanced - Allow rule by DNS name

It is very important to include in the "Scope" tab, within a Windows Firewall rule, to release DNS names and not just IP addresses.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. If Windows Server 2016 support "windows hello" feature?

If Windows Server 2016 TP5 support "windows hello" feature? any declare or blog?

I installed windows server 2016 (14393), and then I can't use "windows hello" in settings.

this feature worked in windows 10.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base