General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Super Fine application control

In Windows 2000 Advanced Server/Datacenter Server, User could set very fine controls for all applications running or applications that will launch at specific time/interval.
    User could set:
    Affinity
    Priority
    Memory Usage
    Other fine control settings

Newer Windows versions removed this feature called "Process Control app UI", I hope in Windows Server 2016 we can get this functionality back so user can set super fine control for each application / process / filter / directshow filter .. etc

Image from Windows 2000 Datacenter Server:
    http://xi-networks.net/Windows2000Server/Control.png

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Kerberos using AES still not working where it should

Establish a two-way forest trust.

Try to establish Remote Desktop Connection from a computer in one forest to a computer in another forest, with an account that is a member of “Protected Users” security group. The connection will fail if the computer (from where you’re trying to establish RDP connection) does not have “RC4HMACMD5” kerberos encryption type enabled (i.e. it only has “AES256HMACSHA1” enabled).

On the other hand, if the user that is trying to establish Remote Desktop Connection is using an account that is NOT a member of “Protected Users” security group, and only AES…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add gMSA support for DNS Dynamic Update Registration Credentials in DHCP

DNS Dynamic Update Registration Credentials in DHCP Management Console or PowerShell (Set-DHCPServerDNSCredential) do not support the use of Group Managed Service Accounts (gMSA) when specifying credentials.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Significantly increase the number of Banned IPs that can be stored in ADFS.

ADFS 2019 allows for 300 IPs to be added to the "Banned IP list"

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/operations/configure-ad-fs-banned-ip#adding-banned-ips

As there are nearly four billion public IPs on the internet, 300 is woefully inadequate.

Small customers that are only trying to block a few users aren't likely using ADFS anyway. Large organizations that rely on ADFS will hit the 300 limit almost immediately.

I'd like to see this number raised to 65538 (/16) or something similar.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. hide power button from terminal server users

TS users keep hitting the powerbutton. can we change the behaviour of the power button or hide it entirely

they intend to log off but they keep powering the server down.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. [Bug] Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials

The Windows Admin Center page keeps requesting credentials for the Windows Admin Center when adding computers or installing extensions, and it often does so twice in a row.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. to take out the google search from Microsoft

my idea is to take out the google search from Microsoft and we create new search like google for Microsoft and it only used my Microsoft windows and I named it has micro search means even micro issue also will not escape means better then google search and lastly my hamble request sir please think about if we use this idea no company will beat the microsoft and have a nice day

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. configure the winrm client without starting the winrm server

When trying to user psremoting you have to add a trusted host to your client's trusted hosts. This is fine and we normally default to '*' for developer machines that need to talk to prod and other infra. The problem is that this also requires the developer machine to start the winrm service which 'allows the computer to recieve Windows Powershell remote commands that are sent using the WS-Management technology'. I get pushback from devs who don't want to run this server service and see it as an unecessary security risk. We typically don't need CredSSP or have issues with…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add WPF Support to WinPE

While never fully supported, the support WinPE had for WPF was enough to allow folks to build flexible, customized tools. Most of us who have done it are SCCM admins building custom front-ends for the OSD process.

The excellent community has found a workaround to keep WPF going, but it would be nice to have support officially back to at least the level it was.

Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Windows 2016 - Scheduled Task Access for non-admin Domain users

In Windows server 2016 we are unable to provide access on scheduled tasks for non-admin domain users. This is doable in windows 2012 by adding the permissions to C:\Windows\System32\Tasks folder but it is not working in windows 2016.

Is this a know issue/bug with windows 2016 ?

Thank You In Advance

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Windows Update settings - Restart options

In Windows Update on Server 2016 and beyond, there is the Restart options, which allows you to Schedule a time to restart and finish installing updates.

The problem is you can only turn this on once the updates have fully completed installed.

Instead of having to wait for the update to install, you should be allowed to Schedule the Restart time from this menu ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY BEGUN to install updates. It's very annoying to have to wait for hours or however long, to then later have to go back and schedule the restart. You should be able to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Dark Theme for Group Policy Management Editor

Include an option for a Dark theme view in the Group Policy Management Editor.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Upgrade from LTSC to Semi-Annual Channel

Prior to the announcement of Semi-Annual Channel we deployed a few Server 2016 Core machines. With the new 1709 release, I would like to be able to convert my existing machines to semi-annual.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add file hash checking capability to Task Scheduler

Scheduled Tasks should have the ability to verify a file’s authenticity prior to executing. For example, if a Scheduled Task is executing a PowerShell script that is being run with an account that has Domain Admin rights, anyone that has access to modify the PowerShell script on the server essentially has Domain Admin rights.

If there was an option added to the Scheduled Task setup where the owner could input the file hash of the PowerShell script and Task Scheduler checked the hash prior to executing the script, it would eliminate unauthorized changes.
    One example where this would stop malicious…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Server core version of Windows server 2016 doesn't support DFSR static port assignment.

Server core version of Windows server 2016 doesn't support DFSR static port assignment.

DFSRDiag.exe and DFSR powershell are not available to assign static port to DFSR in server core version

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Make Storage Replica available for Standard Edition

Storage Replica is a really useful feature, and Windows Admins and their companies would benefit if it's available in Standard Edition as well. The mean time to restore service could be improved massively, and Microsoft would be a big part in it.
    Storage Replica is not a Hosting Provider only feature!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Licensing, SKU, & Edition  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. to consider fighting poor video performance on RDSH

From what I've seen watching videos on RDSH has always been a huge problem. The video stucks, there are artifacts, and very few frames per second. I'm talking about YouTube videos (HTML5 / Flash Player) or third-party-players like VLC Media Player.
    It would be great if you could investigate here so watching YouTube videos etc. will be possible on RDSH in the future! I known it is impossible to use graphics intensive applications on RDSH, but why are videos so slow?
    I think many users would be glad if they could watch videos in RDSH sessions, this might become a…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. GPO for default programs

Edge is potentially awesome, but COMPLETELY unfinished at Win 10 RTM, and until finished, unusable. Even as a consumer, after hours, I can't use Edge because it doesn't support IE features I use.

This is the ONLY significant impediment to adopting Win 10, here.

I need to be able to set IE11 as the default browser through GPO until Edge can truly replace it.

Give me granular filetype/protocol selections and I'll only set IE11 as the default where I need it.

But give ME the control, or we will stay on Win 7 until Edge is finished.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Access to Windows10 UAP APIs

The promise of the new Windows10 Universal Apps is that they will run anywhere. That should include the server and Azure. I'd like to write my core libraries so that the code can be used on phones, tablets, PCs, Consoles and in the cloud.

I especially want access to the MediaComposition and Win2D libraries for rendering my animations to video which I can then send to Azure Media Services for transcoding.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. "add forest" in group policy management does not work unless RC4 is enabled

We have two-way forest trust established and would like to manage group policy for both forests from one server.

On a member server where Group Policy Management console is installed, these encryption types are enabled in “Network security: Configure encryption types allowed for Kerberos“:
    AES256HMACSHA1
    Future encryption types

When I try to add another forest to Group Policy Management console (open “Group Policy Management” console, right click on “Group Policy Management”, click on “Add forest…”, enter domain name and then click “OK”), a message “Access is denied.” pops up.

If I enable “RC4HMACMD5” on the server…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base