General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SMTP Virtual Server in Server 2016 Core and Nano

2016 Server Core and Nano don't have the ability to add-windowsfeature smtp-server. I feel the SMTP feature would lend itself well to the lightweight nature of Core and Nano.

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • GUI for DNS policies and rate-limiting

Please implement GUI for configuring DNS policies and DNS rate-limiting in Windows Server 2016.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Wifi crashes explorer in TP5

When you click on the wireless network that you want to use, your previously entered Wifi password WPA key is not remembered and needs to be entered every time you reboot. That's not all, however after I click enter after typing in my password, the network settings window crashes and creates dump file everytime, Explorer is the application that crashes after entering my Wifi password.

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Bug: Backups stop working after about a month using windows server backup. I lose the System and hyper-v writers.

Only way to recover is a reboot. On a Hyper-v server this is not acceptable.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Need the probably last audit setting for 'Service Control Manager'

Hi Team,

The Service Control Manager audits all service related events except the deletion in the event viewer.
            Probably the last thing that could be added?

Thank you.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • RSAT tools to support below the typical N-1 level

Often many of us work in an environment that is evolving to the latest OS, but perhaps technology or development of internal applications have held or slowed us from updating these to current standards. We are encouraged to use RSAT tools to manage these hosts and services, but these tools are only backwards compatible by N-1.

This means that with a Windows 10 (current build) laptop, which will use RSAT for 2016, I cannot manage my older Windows 2012 or even 2008r2 hosts. I then have to either use a VM which is running Win7 or 8.1 with RSAT to…

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Interoperability & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • (Microsoft Survey & Interview) Improve deployment and servicing

Do you want your server OS deployment and servicing to move faster? We're a team of Microsoft engineers who want your experiences and ideas around solving real problems of deploying and servicing your server OS infrastructure. We're interested in many aspects of deployment, including servicing, migration, and upgrades.

Click the link below if you wish to fill out a brief survey and perhaps participate in a short phone call.

https://aka.ms/deployland

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

survey  ·  0 comments  ·  Survey  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 2016, WDS, Deduplication: Option to disable RES.WIM usage

A bit of history here. Windows Deployment Services has been around for quite a number of years, and it uses a file-based deduplication mechanism to conserve disk space.

When we capture an image with WDS, what it is actually doing is creating hashes for all files on the disk and then checking to see if those hashes are present in RES.WIM. Any hashed files not present in RES.WIM are copied up to the server, added to RES.WIM, and then the disk image itself is just a list of hashes to pull out of RES.WIM to reconstruct the image.

Without deduplication,…

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add file hash checking capability to Task Scheduler

Scheduled Tasks should have the ability to verify a file’s authenticity prior to executing. For example, if a Scheduled Task is executing a PowerShell script that is being run with an account that has Domain Admin rights, anyone that has access to modify the PowerShell script on the server essentially has Domain Admin rights.
                    If there was an option added to the Scheduled Task setup where the owner could input the file hash of the PowerShell script and Task Scheduler checked the hash prior to executing the script, it would eliminate unauthorized changes.
                    One example where this would stop malicious…

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Misc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Group Policy Autoplay doesn't work with Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10

First of all, sorry my poor English. Recently my customer bought two Windows Server 2016 Standard and I have a general group policy to disable autoplay and autorun in all computers in this network. Of course, I have an Active Directory implemented with two DCs, one with W2K8R2 and another with W2K12R2. I´ve downloaded the new ADMX files for Windows Server 2016 and Windows 10 "www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53430" and created a Central Store and I made all steps recomended by Microsoft. This Group Policy works well in all versions of Windows 2012/8.1 and below, but doesn´t work in Windows version…

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Update von Build legt Rechner für Stunden lahm!

Ich habe ein paar Ideen um Windows 10 und Windows 10 Mobil noch besser zu machen.

1. Das größte Problem im Windows 10 und Windows 10 Mobil ist das automatische Update ohne Angabe der Dateigröße und der Zeit für die Installation. Update von Build oder App-Update legt Rechner für Stunden lahm!

2. Windows 10 Mobil hängt sich auf und das Smartphone sollte zurückgesetzt werden. Alle Daten auf dem Smartphone sind weg, sowas geht nicht in der Arbeitswelt.

3. Die Sicherheit ist bei Firmen sehr wichtig, darum muss klar sein wo die Daten liegen und teilweise kommt eine Cloudlösung nicht in Frage, weil die Daten nichts auf einem fremden System zu suchen…

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Bug: memory usage shown by task manager is wrong

Bug: memory usage shown by task manager is wrong.
                          Memory usage displayed by the task manager is wrong (by factor 1000 too low compared with real). Resource monitor displays the values correctly. English OS and system locale, german regional formats.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow Microsoft Edge Favorites to be easily managed like the Internet Explorer Favorites folder structure and support folder redirection

Allow Microsoft Edge Favorites to be easily managed like the Internet Explorer Favorites folder structure (end user-manageable) and support folder redirection (especially in the Enterprise edition of Windows 10). The IE Favorites folder can be redirected to a network location and available on any computer a user logs into, Edge Favorites are stuck on the local hard drive in a non-user manageable form (ESE database). The same goes for Sticky Notes, in Windows 7 they were stored in the Roaming AppData folder and followed a user across computers. Now they have been converted to a "modern UI app" which is…

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Make the eraser in OneNote more efficient

Hello everbody,

if I wrote something with the Apple Pencil or another Stylus on my iPad Pro and i want to erase something, it would be great if it is possilbe to select a color that i want to erase. The option to make the eraser bigger or smaller would be great, too.

Best regards,

Alex

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Applications & Add-ons  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Kontakte in Kontaktgruppen nach Nachnamen sortieren und nicht nach Emailadressen

Die Kontakte in Kontaktgruppen werden nach Emailadressen sortiert und nicht nach den Nachnamen. Das ist mehr als unübersichtlich.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Change the use of hyperlinks in the graphical user interface

In my opinion Microsoft is following a wrong paradigm when it comes to providing server admins with context based background information while working on a server desktop.
                                  It is regarding the use of referrals in the interface to sources on the internet in order to provide the administrator with more information. I know that, when Microsofts recommendation is followed and the core version is chosen, this is no issue at all, but since several server implementations still require the full graphical version (e.g. Exchange Server 2016) and many IT organisations still choose to use RDS for server administration, many admins…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Call UWP APIs from Server applications

In the past I have always been able to call my WinForms or WPF or any Win32 code from my server-side applications. This was useful for rendering media on the fly to serve up on a web site.

As far as I can tell, much of the UWP API set isn't available to the server. I'm thinking of the UI Composition layer and the video and audio APIs.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  API  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Ordner "vorgeschlagene Kontakte" bitte wieder zuschalten

Bitte schalten Sie den Ordner "vorgeschlagene Kontakte" wieder zu. Wenn man einen neuen Kontakt nicht sofort speichert, findet man ihn nicht wieder, wenn man wie wir, mehrere Tausend Kontakte hat.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• RemoteApp and Remote Desktop services issue with gateway

I have installed Remote Desktop Services on Windows Terminal Server 2016 TP5 servers.
                                          I'm using a gateway, in order to connect from outside over HTTPS.
                                          RemoteApp and Remote Desktop are working really good from Windows Computers Clients with the Remote Desktop Application (from the Windows Store) or with the default mstsc client.
                                          When I use the same application for a Windows Phone 10 device, or with the Android or iOS application it doesn't work, even if I use the same wifi network as my laptop.
                                          I can add the remote ressources, but I cannot connect to them with the same…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base