General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Default shell in Server Core and MinShell to PowerShell

With the change to Server Core or MinShell as install options, MS should not default the way you interact with the server to the old command line. It should be PowerShell. I do this on my current servers by changing the registry, but I'm not sure why in 2015 MS doesn't do this by default.

211 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

11 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Windows server 2016 has the wrong version number when retrieving it by SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0

Retrieving the server version by SNMP returns the wrong version number for Windows 2016 Server. I'm getting "6.3" instead of the expected "10.0". Using SNMP OID 1.3.6.1.2.1.1.1.0 to retrieve the version.

Please fix

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        I agree to the terms of service
        Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

investigating  ·  1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base