To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Server Core

Get back possibility to switch between Server Core and GUI

Since TP3 it is no longer possible to switch between the different user interface types. I think it is absolutely mandatory to get this option back untill RTM of Server 2016

128 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's almost 2019 now - CLI only or GUI should both be options during installation, just like *nix server OS. Some Windows roles still require a GUI, and having a GUI option is essential for recruiting the next generation of admins.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And seriously, a full desktop experience for server? Why? Who thought "Gee, I think I should be able to not only manage my server, but watch Netflix and make sure facebook looks good too while I'm on it"?

• TPreston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And this move essentially increases the amount of training needed for Windows Server by a factor of 10, What the **** am I paying you people for ? The entire point of me using Windows server is so I don't have to go back to the 90s with a sodding terminal.

What happened to "the easy to use server os" ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least allow switching between full GUI and MinWin.

This lack of functionality has stopped my evaluation of the product. A number of roles require a GUI and I simply don't want the overhead of a full GUI.

God help you if this continues to TP5 or RTM

Feedback and Knowledge Base