To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Server Core

Get back possibility to switch between Server Core and GUI

Since TP3 it is no longer possible to switch between the different user interface types. I think it is absolutely mandatory to get this option back untill RTM of Server 2016

132 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it's almost 2019 now - CLI only or GUI should both be options during installation, just like *nix server OS. Some Windows roles still require a GUI, and having a GUI option is essential for recruiting the next generation of admins.

• Ryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And seriously, a full desktop experience for server? Why? Who thought "Gee, I think I should be able to not only manage my server, but watch Netflix and make sure facebook looks good too while I'm on it"?

• TPreston commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And this move essentially increases the amount of training needed for Windows Server by a factor of 10, What the **** am I paying you people for ? The entire point of me using Windows server is so I don't have to go back to the 90s with a sodding terminal.

What happened to "the easy to use server os" ?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least allow switching between full GUI and MinWin.

This lack of functionality has stopped my evaluation of the product. A number of roles require a GUI and I simply don't want the overhead of a full GUI.

God help you if this continues to TP5 or RTM

Feedback and Knowledge Base