To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Ink And Handwriting Services

Noticed that in Windows Server 2016 TP5 with latest cumulative update (KB3158987) Ink And Handwriting Services feature is missing:
Get-WindowsFeature | Where-Object {$_.Name -like '*ink*'}
returns no results... Looking at the files on the disk drive (C:\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ink) it seem that feature is actually installed. Some applications which relay on this feature fail during installation/instantiation since they determine feature is not installed. There was not mention in the release notes of the TP4 and TP5 in which this feature is no longer present (it was still present in TP3). Please fix this or suggest a workaround.

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Blaz MALNERSIC shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i also cannot find ink and handwriting services in build 14393.2363

• Richard Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Office Online Server requires this feature on Windows Server 2016. Please make it available. Otherwise, Windows Server 2016 is not usable for Office Online Server 2016.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have also experienced the same problem when trying to install OOS. I am wondering when MS will release a new fix.

• Drew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same issue. Has anyone found a way to get Office Online Server to install on Server 2016. Even in the full release with all updates installed it continually fails looking for the Ink and Handwriting Services feature to be installed and enabled, but it does not appear to be an option anywhere.

• Oleksii commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm trying to configure the Office Online Server which requires the feature "Ink and handwriting services". While configuring it shows the error message kinda : - The "Ink and Handwriting Services" Windows Server Feature must be installed and enabled.

It's clear that this feature is no more *feature* anymore, but how we should install and use apps which relaying on so called *feature*?

• Noral Kuhlmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's wonderful - however applications, like Office Online Server 2016 fails to find this component installed. This is an OS issue how would we get around this, especially since the product will launch next month.

Feedback and Knowledge Base