To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Windows 2016 start menu search on GUI should be as comprehensive as Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2

When I hit start and type "Active", for example, the start menu correctly finds "Active Directory Users and Computers", "Active Directory Domains and Trusts", etc. on Windows 10 and Windows 2012R2.
that is NOT the case in Windows 2016 TP5. I have to type in "administrative" to get to "Windows Administrative Tools" and then run my mmc.

I don't know if it is a setting I should enable (maybe Cortana), or I have to wait for some indexing to finish (I've already waited waaay to long; besides Windows 2012R2 does not have this index-wait-time) for this comprehensive search to happen, but now the search function on start menu of Windows 2016 TP5 does not return all the relevant results as it does in other previous versions.

60 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

SassSass shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tijl DeneutTijl Deneut commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I got it working, still unsure what exactly causes it:
        - Windows Search Feature is not installed by default (I installed it)
        - Windows Search services is disabled by default (I've set it to auto start)
        - Cortana (yes :s) does NOT work with the built-in administrator. If I create a new admin user, that is not the built-in administrator, everything now works!

• Robert GijsenRobert Gijsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same cr@p here. Unbelievable that MS didn't spot this or is too arrogant(?) to fix this. This has been an issue ever since the TP's and makes it impossible for most of us to deploy RDS with this. But even my management server gives me alot of headackes in order to find stuff that is actually installed. This is miles back from were we came from. Please fix!

• Matthew CronkMatthew Cronk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This makes me want to quit IT... It's hard enough that you feel you need to change the names of everything for no apparent reason but you might as well have removed search because it is useless. Please fix this!!!

• Tom WardropTom Wardrop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah this is like the most basic of functions. Windows 10 is plagued with start menu woes (one of the reasons I can't run it at work), and it seems Windows Server 2016 has similar issues.

• Justin EmlayJustin Emlay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Server 2016 RTM

The Start Menu is broken in a few ways. For many people newly added programs cannot be searched for. Not until they blow out the local user profile and add it back. The newly generated Start Menu will then have all proper applications that can be searched. In the case of an AD machine, this of course cannot be done (domain admin). However, if you login with a different user you'll find that new user can search for "Active" just fine (after applications/roles have been installed). In the case of all our other machines we have blown out the domain users, added them back and they can search fine. With the exception of...

The other way I've found the Start Menu to be broken is the local admin user can search for Control Panel items just fine. However, any other logged in user cannot search for any Control Panel items. For example, Update..., Index..., Programs...(for add/remove). Turning on Windows Search doesn't help either.

• VKVK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can confirm that this was much better in Windows Server 2012 R2! You can for example just type in "programs" in the start menu and you can select between different things like "default programs" , "programs and features", "add or remove programs",... This would be great to have in Windows Server 2016!!!

• RMRM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the One Big Dealbreaker that has me continuing to install Classic Shell on my Win10/Server 2016 boxen.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Whatever I want to do on my Windows 7 or Windows 2008, I just type it in the search area and it's i there and it is really great.
        Windows 2016 search is missing the Control Panel items. It took me ages to find the actual "Device Manager" control panel.

Feedback and Knowledge Base