To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Change Your Thinking

I recently downloaded Server 2016 from my VL portal, got it installed/configured for testing, and I just thought I would share my discontent with the product (or unimpressed is likely a better wording). This does not require any input from anyone, or have any questions that need to be answered.

I dislike that they removed the ability to convert from GUI to Core, or Core to GUI. That was a great feature! Sorry I am not a PowerShell guru, but these feature allowed me to be flexible. Add this back in! I read your reasoning online. Find a way to overcome it; it worked before, you can make it work again.

Why all the extra services installed by default (even if disabled / set to manual)?

Xbox Live Game Save
Xbox Auth Manager
AllJoyn Router
ActiveX Installer
MapsBroker (download service)
Windows Mobile Hotspot Service

...the list goes on. Why? Just why? This isn't needed... All you need is what is required. Even the print spooler service, why is still even there by default? Trim the server install down to what is required to run itself. Let me install what I want from there. I don't even want to see it as an item/service/other, unless I install the feature/role.

What about HA/Clustered Printing? Why do I have to use Hyper-V? I haven't actually checked this, but I know this was the only 'supported' way to get HA printing in Server 2012R2.

My next complaint isn't huge, but why would you include IE11, but not Edge by default? This isn't an issue, just a source of confusion since it is in Windows 10 by default for both.

When will you stop doing what you want, and focus on doing what we, the admins, want?

Just me complaining.

17 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nicholas W RobertsNicholas W Roberts shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...