To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Remove/hide Power button/icon from the Start Menu

Add a way, preferably via GPO, to remove/hide the Power Button from the Start Menu, or a way to move the Log Off action to the Power Button.

When you enable "Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep..." in a GPO. and remove the disconnect action, the Power Button still remains, and just opens up a blank menu. And I don't want my users to just see a useless button in the Start Menu.

Technet where I raised the issue: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2cf3cbb9-73b3-45ef-8897-54896d0eda2b/removehide-the-power-button-in-windows-server-2016?forum=ws2016

45 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Rasmus PoulsenRasmus Poulsen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Hans BHans B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"The fact that the buttons appear in the start menu is a by design behavior."
        If you set this GPO on <2016 servers the button dissapears, why would it be behavior by design on Windows 2016? It doesn't make sense on a Remote Desktop Server. In Windows 2012 R2 users would need to move the mouse over to the upper right corner to logoff. Finally they can limit their mouse movements and now logging of is a 3 step procedure. Come on Microsoft, fix it. Please, this is getting annoying. The mentioned GPO should do it all.

• Mihail RMihail R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are there any updates on this? The empty power menu kinda confuses some of the users (they expect to be able to log off from there so either of the: 1) adding the "Log off" option or 2) completely hiding the menu options would work).

• Rasmus PoulsenRasmus Poulsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've had a support case with Microsoft Support about this, and they replied with the following: "The fact that the buttons appear in the start menu is a by design behavior".

• Jonas ForsellJonas Forsell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd also like to see this implemented as our main workload are RDSH servers and we dont want to confuse the users.

Feedback and Knowledge Base