To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Windows Defender Automatic update

Give us the option to allow Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016 to update automatically.
Why would anyone want to wait for a maintenance window to install windows defender updates via windows update?

If I turn on automatically install updates everything would be installed including definition updates but the server might reboot because of system and security updates.

30 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Valentijn Scholten I think you're missing the point, Windows Defender updates only install automatically if you have Download & Install selected which is fine for a client machine running Windows 10, but it's not good practice for servers, it never has been and it never will be.

Definition updates aren't disruptive and don't fall under the same category as security patches, it should be an automated process with no user intervention, like it is with every other anti-virus product on the market.

You can't compare the update schedule on a Windows 10 box to a Server 2016 box, the 2 are completely different and so are the update schedule requirements, one affects a single user, the other affects a server which impacts the entire network if something goes wrong with a security patch.

• Valentijn Scholten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Defender (signature) updates should just automatically install. Most people have windows updates set to "Download and notify" so they have a choice of when to install these updates as they can be disruptive. The same thing happens on Windows 10 BTW

• Corneliu Eva commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Perhaps MS doesn't expect anyone to run its AV solution on 2016?
        Cmon MS, this is a **** logical action for updating your AV.

Feedback and Knowledge Base