To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

134 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nested virtualization for AMD Epyc and Ryzen

Please support nested virtualization on AMD Epyc and Ryzen processors.

Andy Bocko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

36 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Tahir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

Until this is supported we won't use a Microsoft OS for virtualization- instead running Proxmox (Linux KVM) now.

Hyper-V could be great but this is a major drawback for AMD Systems

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was shocked to find this wasn't already supported. What year is this? Come on Microsoft, give us a hand here, please.

Please Please Please sort it out as i cant do my MCSA without this do it please there are my like me out there

Without nested V for AMD, I am now forced to ditch windows and install a Xen server. Please guys, how about at least an ETA? If its coming soon, I will wait it out just to avoid migrating a 6-disk MS Storage Spaces pool to BtrFS (unless openZFS gets SSD trim first).

With new generation EPYC Rome CPUs, AMD is taking server market to the new level. If nested virtualization is not available in Windows Server then clients will leave Microsoft and look for other hypervisors. Microsoft gained some market with Hyper-V and they are going to loose it back to others.

• Erick Perez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are steadily changing our servers from Intel to AMD EPYC and RYZEN (Dev). There is absolutely nothing with Intel that we in production at large company cannot do with AMD EPYC 7401P (single socket) and a bunch of servers. AND we are saving thousands of dollars. Nested virtualization is a must for Dev Teams and I believe MS should not continue to remain silent on this. Please enable Nested Virt on Windows 2019.

--> NESTED VIRTUALIZATION IN HYPER-V FOR AMD CPUs NOW!!!! <--

@Microsoft, there are no words for this kind of CPU manufacturer (platform) treatment.
        Other that having some deals struck in the past with Intel by which you are obligated to not support this feature (and directly doing damage to your reputation) there is no excuse.
        Enable this feature as soon as possible since virtualization on AMD CPUs is on a rising curve and you don't wan't to miss out.

• Rob Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nov 2018 and AMD nested virtualisation is still not opened up in Windows 10/2016. Please add this Microsoft.

• Imam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is insane. c'mon MS, stop taking bribes from intel
        I need nested on my Threadripper host, with one VM running Visual Studio

• Nelson Chen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My plans for testing of nested VMs with much better value AMD processors is killed by the lack of support for nested Hyper V AMD processors.

I hope they prioritize this. By the time Zen 2 rolls around, AMD's processors will be even better.

• ml commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really really need this, would prefer Hyper-V to VMware or Xen, but have to go with what actually works. Not going back to inferior Intel.

It should be cheap and correspond to AMDCPU with many cores.
        I believe in Microsoft.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base