To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Nested virtualization for AMD Epyc and Ryzen

Please support nested virtualization on AMD Epyc and Ryzen processors.

251 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Andy Bocko shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

73 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alexander Kerchum commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I did a P2V on a development machine that uses Docker for several things. This is unable to work correctly in Hyper-V with my R9 3900x since those containers rely on HyperV, which doesn't support nested virtualization on AMD chips.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hyper-V nested virtualization on AMD Cpu is very important. Inexpensive CPUs and good performance

• Garrett Kerswill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wether by accident or on purpose Microsoft is creating an anti-competitive environment by not supporting nested virtualization on both Intel and AMD hardware. We should not have to up-vote this, get your act together Microsoft.

• Karen Tazayan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a software engineer and really need this functionality to be able to run a different kind of emulators inside the development environment in guest VM.

Opened a ticket with MS and AMD. MS responded through our partner channel with a simple statement of "we're working on it". AMD has yet to respond but it definitely isn't their issue as it's supported on most every other hypervisor. This is silly.
    Also, there's a competing thread at AMD's forums. I recommend bombarding them as well.
    https://community.amd.com/thread/224825

• home Labs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good afternoon to be 100% clear the nested issue only occurs when trying to run nested on-top of Workstation 15 Pro. In my research some say bare metal ESXI host nested works . I would love Microsoft to fix this issue and enable this support. Yes it is not a Microsoft product but at the end of the day we are looking to run it inside Windows 10. For most of us we don't have the funds to buy multiple host to run a lab. Thank you Microsoft for your consideration. My specs AMD Ryzen 1700 GEN 1. Asrock a350 64 GB DDR-4 Crucial. Os Windows 1809 latest patches all drivers installed for all IO. Core Issue ESXI host crashes when trying to run a vm, inside Workstation 15 ver 4 plus.

Thank you.

*** Please enable nested Virtualization *** AMD &VMware & Windows ***
    Being such a mature company why such kind of barriers .

CPU : AMD Ryzen 2700x
    MotherBoard: AX370 Gaming K3 (Latest BIOS Flashed)
    RAM : 16GB DDR4 Adata
    Power supply : Corsair 650 Watt
    Hard Drive : 240GB Sata & 1TB WD
    Workstation : Window 10 OS.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base