To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Add option to re-check for updates before installing

When going to apply updates, there should at least be an option to check for updates if updates are already found. This was previously an option through Server 2012 R2 and is no longer possible. Because of this, changes to available updates may not be received by the client computer until after the update list is applied and the server is rebooted. Given how locked down the update interface is now, even having that option automatically happen in the background would be great.

In my environment, I use WSUS to patch all of my servers. This month, KB4041691 was installed as both a CU and a Delta (the delta appears to have been a mistake). I didn't realize this until after the fact, but this means that the update was installed twice and caused my servers to not boot. The patch was expired 7 hours after being released, however any server that had checked into WSUS before that expiration still had the Delta as a required update. If the server had checked back into WSUS before applying the updates, it would have realized that the update was no longer valid. This would have saved several hours of troubleshooting. I ultimately had to use the recovery options to remove the update which caused the server to not boot using information from https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-server-update-services/deploy/monthly-delta-update-isv-support-without-wsus

13 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

James N. RzepkaJames N. Rzepka shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...