To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Stop the "Windows update madness" on WS2016!

Dear Microsoft Windows Server team. We would like _complete control_ over when we would like our our WS2016 to install windows updates! No more slow / timeconsuming server restarts because of "Getting Windows ready. Do not turn off your computer" messages when we just would like a quick restart of a production server.. No more TiWorker.exe using 100% of a CPU core during "*********" and so on.. And please fix the issues with '2017-08 Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4035631)' asap. Thank you.

197 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

KjB shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

38 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have configured my Server 2016 & Windows 10 GPO settings to not allow my Windows 10 & Server 2016 to received updates from computers on the Internet significantly improves update performance and reliability. Remember Windows 10 & Server 2016 have the new update code path to try and download updates from computers on the Internet. Without the new GPO settings 1709+) the OSes will continue to try to use Internet sources for updates even if the local OS GUI has the option disabled. Confirm with Process Monitor, SYSMON & TCPView tools from Sysinternals on the Microsoft TechNet site.
        *NOTE with CAUTION: You may need to add the newer Windows 10 (1709+) .ADMx/l files to your GPO Central store in SYSVOL (or PolicyDefinitions folder on a local OS) to be able to get access to the additional GPO settings specific to Windows Update and Microsoft's new Cloud based updating settings.

• Hrvoje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to update new win 2016 server essential on new dell poweredge t30..Started in the morning, fater 8 hours, still waiting for second wave of updates to complete..Currently stuck at "Getting windows ready" screen,,,DIsk is spinning like crazy, but after 45 minutes still looking at the same screen

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your help Karl W-E, but yes, servers have last SSU installed, 4465659.

• Karl W-E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

On the matter: I have hopes that MS has heard us and will implement express updates (not the same as in WSUS options), to greatly reduce size and install time. First they only wanted to bring this for Server 2019 (1809) but I've heard that this is going to be ported backwards.

We have 3 identical VMs with Windows 2016 (installed from same template)... Everyone have had a different update process, last one is stuck in 95% downloading. No clear log of anything, I can believe this happens in 2018, what a shame!!!

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! Windows Server maintenance should not be so time consuming. Microsoft should allow as much downloading/recompiling/installation as possible before taking the server and services offline. These optimized procedures should also be clearly documented to minimize downtime.

My Windows Server 2016 guests updated all in 20 minutes. The Hyper-V 2016 Host, takes over an hour to install and over an hour to reboot. No solution available. I have better things to do Microsoft. I can't believe they even released this as a Server OS.

edit: 10 2012 R2 server installed (not upgraded) their 09-2019 updates during the same time in a piece of that time residing on the same SAN / VMware Hosts.

Last patchday 06.10. 09-2018 September CUs:

2 VMs on VMware: 2016 (LTSC)

update duration 7:30 pm to 11:30 pm.

Why? The VMs did download the 05-2018 CUs in the local cache from WSUS.
        You cannot deny this installation via usoclient or PShell.
        After the installation of the 05-2018 patches, the 09-2018 were obtained and installed via WSUS.

Please know that this behaviour won't be the same with Server 2016 1703 (SAC) or later or even 2019 Server.

So it provingly is a servicing stack issue / TIworker.exe issue despite all current SSU were installed. Please fix your code Microsoft.

No company will upgrade to 2019 (currently paused), or use SAC branch just for sake of having FAST updates.

In the meantime I've upgraded 10 Server 2012 R2 machines + 3 clients from 1803 to 1809.
        Just to give you an idea HOW F... slow this Server 2016 1607 does do its updates. I am feeling desperate that you do not comment or solve this major issue.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It takes over 2 hours to update a single 2016 VM and it doesn't give you an progress.

• Dieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Patch your Server has become a great problem with 2016. We have about 90 VMs, on a Hyper-V cluster and on standalone Hosts. In the past patching took 12 to 14 hours for all servers, now we need 4-5 days. Patching a server under 2 hours would be real luck.
        In addition 20 to 30 percent of the updates fail randomly. In the most cases retrying works, if not download the update and install it manually (normally works).
        It is a lot of work to ensure that business critical machines are really running when you need them.
        Secure and automatic patching does not work this way.

Good grief Microsoft... Cumulative updates on 2016 are ridiculous and take FOREVER. They fail OVER AND OVER AGAIN. After a dozen reboots and several attempts AND HOURS AND HOURS to get things patched then the restart takes 20-30 minutes. Im using fully patched and up to date VMWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2016 Std Ed. and running on G8 HP Proliant hardware, this seems to be a deadly combination for patching and staying up to date. Make Windows Server great again.. PLEASE... Fix the slow update problem. You'll be a hero to THOUSANDS of admins that dont have time for this stuff anyway.

Patrick I hear you, let's hope that Server 2019 will be better. Infact Server 2016 is a bit like vista and technically old, based on Windows 10 1607, which was not their best release base anyway.

I have good hopes for Windows 10 1809 / Server 2019

• Patrick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Truly a madness.

I manage about 200 Servers myself, 50% 2016 now.

Better go with VMware as a host in the future since MS doesn’t care anymore. You can see this with the massive bugs in 2016:

- DC on 2012R2 backup errors
        - 2016 Cluster Crashes because of nics
        - Defender and HyperV Replica Bluescreen
        etc...

We have a lot more MS cases opened with 2016 but they solve nothing, it’s like jumping from one 1st Level to the next 1st Level ... without solutions

• Chris Bailiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Windows Server has definitely taken a step backwards with 2016 in terms of performance of system updates. Taking more than an hour prior to reboot, then a further hour for reboot and update completion, is poor.

^^ they probably know but don't have the personel and time to do that. Still I think it has become easier with Windows 10 and 201x Server

I can't believe there are so many people who do not know how to control patch management. What a shame.

I also recommend to install the most recent SSU first before installing any other CU or update.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base