To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Stop the "Windows update madness" on WS2016!

Dear Microsoft Windows Server team. We would like _complete control_ over when we would like our our WS2016 to install windows updates! No more slow / timeconsuming server restarts because of "Getting Windows ready. Do not turn off your computer" messages when we just would like a quick restart of a production server.. No more TiWorker.exe using 100% of a CPU core during "*********" and so on.. And please fix the issues with '2017-08 Update for Windows Server 2016 for x64-based Systems (KB4035631)' asap. Thank you.

278 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

KjB shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

68 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Karl W-E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Video via Onedrive for evidence Please share video / post until fixed.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApTx3d3fhinPgpkfpt3eIZ6rVJZwaw

Setting:
    Windows 10 19H1 Hyper-V
    Test: Server Patches 2016 LTSC vs 2019 LTSC GUI.
    "Baremetal" installation
    2 vCore - Host i7700k @ 4,8 GHz
    32 GB RAM
    2x NVMe 970 EVO 1 TB (Storage Spaces, Mirror, Thin Provisioning)

Server 2019 LTSC GUI
    Search Updates > 11 secs
    Download Updates > 21 secs
    Install Updates > 3 mins 16 secs
    Restart / Apply Updates + Logon > 52 sec
    Total Patch Time 02-2019 CU + .net > 4 mins 40 sec

Server 2016 LTSC GUI
    Download / (install*) Updates > 22 minutes 10 secs
    install Updates > 7 mins 7 seconds + 20 secs another search
    Restart / Apply Updates + Logon > 14 mins 50 secs
    Total Patch Time 02-2019 CU
    without .net patches available > 44 mins 28 secs
    this translates to storage with no NVME to patch times of several hours as reported in uservoice
    *the progress bar is wrong altogether on W2016 it reports to download but is already installing for minutes as there is no network traffic and tiworker is consuming a whole core
    if you imagine to patch 20-100 servers on VMWare or Hyper-V you can literally feel the CPU pressure and time consumed comparing to Server 2019.

• Stephen Barrett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Staring at "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off you computer" for 3 hours - Disks and CPU on VM doing nothing at all . Eventually the VM reboots and another round of updates kick off....

Staring at "Getting Windows ready Don't turn off you computer" again for the last hour.....

The suspense in wondering if there are any more updates when I eventually get back to the desktop.....

:(

Dear Admins, suffering companions, I've tried to bump up at a very kind and helpful person at Microsoft. I cannot promise anything but I hope it does help this issue gets a checkmark before end of main support for Server 2016 LTSC, after more than a year or reporting.

I still encourage anyone that have active Software Assurance to take a backup when Server is shut down and use ISO / setup.exe to upgrade to Server 2019 1809. This will fix the update issue. Updates for GUi servers will take about 10 Minutes, without GUI it's done in lesser time.

I don't see a fix coming for Server 2016, by Design, the Update packages are too big and 1607 has serious issues with TIworker process.

Server 2016 SAC is not affected as they use newer code but this is limited choice for Software Assurance and non GUI servers.

• Joachim Dahl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sitting here updating 1 hyæer-host and 2 virtual server 2016 machines naturally when things took longer than expected I turned to Google lol.
    Dang if I had realized this was a problem I would not have started theas updates. Host is done in what shuld have takken 10-20 min max took 1.5h and now I am sitting here waiting I the virtual servers to finish.
    Customer asked me how long this would take and my reply was well it usuallytakes around 1-2 hours (I always say a lot more than it takes so they don't complain when it takes longer lol)
    From an active sysadmin in a small firm pleas fix this so my customers and me will stay happy

• Dewey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Matt I cannot agree more with your comments! I've been working with MS products for a very long time too, I too am fed up with direction they have been heading, the failure to adequately test and maintain products and there eye on the all mighty $ seems to be their ONLY priority in the last 15 years. They lost sight in what made them - the customer. I refuse to install ANY MS product that has been on the street for at least 2 years, at that point, it usually has most of the bugs worked out of it. Sad but true. Their rush to gain the $ is what's driving it. Want proof? Look at their move to SaaS (Software as a Service). They weren't making enough $. 2 pieces of garbage are Cortano & Edge, we don't need them them. If we don't want them, home users should be able to disable it. I know there are ways now. Another case of MS trying to strong arm everyone to use their products. We delete it immediately on our new Windows 10 installs at work. We NEED working links that are maintained better and faster updates to products that work the first time not needing updates which are 3X the size of the original software package. What are they thinking? Their solution is always to upgrade the OS, why? They didn't get it right the 1st time, why should we trust you'll do a good/better job with the next revision? The only difference is you'll have more of our money and we'll be farther down the rabbit hole with a new list of issues and we'll be beta testing your software for you again. Thanks Matt - I read your comments and started checking them off in my head, you nailed almost everyone I have had for years. I too am frustrated with the direction MS is heading and they don't seem to care about anything but the dollar. Thanks Matt!

• No Lobbies At All commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Buah ah ah...! Winzozz is a monolitic strong failed system and when it needs to change something it has to reinstall itself totally...! Buah ah ah...! For all that it needs you have to pay for...! Buah ah ah...! They impose to you their policy and you can forget totally your privacy...! Buah ah ah...! I hope the governs in the world change and totally clean, delete winzozz from the history...! Buah ah ah...!

• No Bill Gates at all commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Buah ah ah...! Winzozz is a monolitic strong failed system and when it needs to change something it has to reinstall itself totally...! Buah ah ah...! For all that it needs you have to pay for...! Buah ah ah...! They impose to you their policy and you can forget totally your privacy...! Buah ah ah...! I hope the governs in the world change and totally clean, delete winzozz from the hisory...! Buah ah ah...!

Buah ah ah...! Winzozz is a monolitic strong failed system and when it needs to change something it has to reinstall itself totally...! Buah ah ah...! For all that it needs you have to pay for...! Buah ah ah...! They impose to you their policy and you can forget totally your privacy...! Buah ah ah...! I hope the governs in the world change and totally clean, delete winzozz from the history...! Buah ah ah...!

Buah ah ah...! Winzozz is a monolitic strong failed system and when it needs to change something it has to reinstall itself totally...! Buah ah ah...! For all that it needs you have to pay for...! Buah ah ah...! They impose to you their policy and you can forget totally your privacy...! Buah ah ah...! I hope the governs in the world change and totally clean, delete winzozz from the hisory...! Buah ah ah...!

• Joe Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have configured my Server 2016 & Windows 10 GPO settings to not allow my Windows 10 & Server 2016 to received updates from computers on the Internet significantly improves update performance and reliability. Remember Windows 10 & Server 2016 have the new update code path to try and download updates from computers on the Internet. Without the new GPO settings 1709+) the OSes will continue to try to use Internet sources for updates even if the local OS GUI has the option disabled. Confirm with Process Monitor, SYSMON & TCPView tools from Sysinternals on the Microsoft TechNet site.
    *NOTE with CAUTION: You may need to add the newer Windows 10 (1709+) .ADMx/l files to your GPO Central store in SYSVOL (or PolicyDefinitions folder on a local OS) to be able to get access to the additional GPO settings specific to Windows Update and Microsoft's new Cloud based updating settings.

• Hrvoje commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Trying to update new win 2016 server essential on new dell poweredge t30..Started in the morning, fater 8 hours, still waiting for second wave of updates to complete..Currently stuck at "Getting windows ready" screen,,,DIsk is spinning like crazy, but after 45 minutes still looking at the same screen

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for your help Karl W-E, but yes, servers have last SSU installed, 4465659.

On the matter: I have hopes that MS has heard us and will implement express updates (not the same as in WSUS options), to greatly reduce size and install time. First they only wanted to bring this for Server 2019 (1809) but I've heard that this is going to be ported backwards.

We have 3 identical VMs with Windows 2016 (installed from same template)... Everyone have had a different update process, last one is stuck in 95% downloading. No clear log of anything, I can believe this happens in 2018, what a shame!!!

• JS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed! Windows Server maintenance should not be so time consuming. Microsoft should allow as much downloading/recompiling/installation as possible before taking the server and services offline. These optimized procedures should also be clearly documented to minimize downtime.

My Windows Server 2016 guests updated all in 20 minutes. The Hyper-V 2016 Host, takes over an hour to install and over an hour to reboot. No solution available. I have better things to do Microsoft. I can't believe they even released this as a Server OS.

edit: 10 2012 R2 server installed (not upgraded) their 09-2019 updates during the same time in a piece of that time residing on the same SAN / VMware Hosts.

Feedback and Knowledge Base