To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Update Essentials 2012 R2 Dashboard to be compatible with current .NET releases

If any .NET version after 4.5.2 is installed, some dashboard functionality fails (can't remove computer, can't ignore alert) and the dashboard crashes randomly. Removing and blocking .NET 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 works around the issue, but that means the server is limited to the 4-year-old .NET 4.5.2. This article has more details:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

18 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mark Berry, MCB Systems shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • FS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue. Blocking .Net is not the answer. Server 2016 and 2012.

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same Problem here with a Server2016 and Essentials Role installed.
        The problem is now nearly 4 months old and still no solution?

• Roland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to add the following detail: CPU with 100% came up only while trying to delete an alert message. After killing the dashboard.exe it came down again.

Cheers

• Roland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem on Server 2012 Essentials R2 of two different customers. Using the Dashboard than came up with another problem, while using the Dashboard CPU went up to 100%, allways. Only killing the dashboard.exe in task manager brought it down again. Using the Dashboard during working hours prevented network users for example accessing the domain controller / file server.

Anything new about an update fixing that problem ??

Best regards

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I run an MSP and have this same problem on at least four different servers, completely unique setups and different businesses. Very frustrating.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny to see this posted last week...I just got bit by this same bug tonight. I have a WSE 2012 R2 that I'm rebuilding for someone and have been wondering why a bunch of things were acting odd and crashing the dashboard.

Will there be a solution that doesn't involve downgrading .NET? A program being hosted on my box needs 4.6.0 or newer, so using 4.5.2 is not an option.

Feedback and Knowledge Base