To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Do not remove Essentials Role in Server 2019

We still need a Windows Version for small customers getting easy connection to Azure and Office 365. So do NOT remove the Essential Role out of Version 2019.

84 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ajedv shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Time for all admin's to sharpen up on ubuntu server or some linux version

• Mark Berry, MCB Systems commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice that they are saying there will be a SKU. Wish they would keep the Essentials role under Standard too. So convenient for managing desktop backups, Remote Web Access, etc.

• CorpCaleCeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what's wrong with 2016? if you a SMB like me then i only intend to use hyper-v server 2019 and keep windows server 2016. However, if there a benefits of 2019 for SMB over 2016 then list them so MS can take a look and eveluate and change them or add them as features rather than a full blow role.

You maybe able to add the features you need to get the same results, as you would with the role. This keeps with the new MS streamline metrics as you install a role and only use 40% of its features and this way you add what you need and use the 40% you need without wasting the 60% you don't use of that role.

Poential SMB setup:
        1 x Server running Hyper-V server 2016 (free hypervisor OS will and upgrade to hyper-v server 2019)

1 x Windows Server 2016 standard with essentials role as a Virtual Machine

This leave one addtional VM install as on server standard your allowed only 2 virtual machines (if you have the money then use datacentre but at £4000 might be a bit steep for some SMB's) which you will use for windows server 2019 as a VM.

Configure it as you see fit e,g, addtional AD or just an addtioanl server running specific roles e.g. dhcp, dns, file server, etc.

This way you keep server essentials on 2016 and have access to server 2019 with all it's goodies without compromising your setup.

• Brent Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/windows-server-1803-removed-features

"We're no longer developing the Essentials Experience role for the Windows Server Standard or Windows Server Datacenter SKUs. If you need an easy-to-use server solution for small-to-medium businesses, check out our new Microsoft 365 for business solution, or use Windows Server 2016 Essentials."

That's just awful. MIcrosoft is intentionally abandoning the SOHO/SMB market to focus entirely on larger customers. This just sucks.

Time to look for alternatives, folks. The Windows Server PG (Product Group) has apparently walked away from our group of customers. (And, no, a strictly subscription-based service such as "Microsoft 365 for business" is NOT an acceptable replacement.)

• Aj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you remove it? I will go to an open source solution. is end of the line. the removal of useful features of the low end server products are a killshot for us.

90% of my clients fall in the original SBS market.

do not forget about us

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is larger than simply killing a well-used mature code base, it's telling small groups that they must migrate to the enterprise way...why? is it ideology? why force users away from viable solutions? Also if the Essentials Role is killed, the Essentials SKU with its affordable CALs will surely be the next to go.

• Joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need this role for my home network and client PC backups. Hugely disappointing to see that it's not an option in the 17666 build I tried on my VM.

PLEASE keep Essentials Role! It is even better than SBS (which was a great product as well). Need it for my small business customers.

Yes, same for us!

Alternatively please make AD-user connect, create, maintain etc. Office 365 account from 2019 to O365.

• Tobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

An AD -> Office 365 Connector to create and manage user and mailadresse from the local AD would be nice. Then the Essential Role would not be necessary.

Big YES from me! Essentials Role is GREAT! I manage many SMB clients. Actually like it better than the venerable SBS platform. PLEASE don't get rid of it!

Feedback and Knowledge Base