To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Windows Updates shouldn't fail constantly or take hours to complete

I have a number of 2016 servers. It seems like 99% of them fail when doing automatic updates. I am able to install them manually by going through sconfig and selecting option 6 but it takes FOREVER. During installation, the CPU or Memory isn't maxed out at 100% so I have no idea what is causing it to take forever. All other previous versions of Windows run and install updates just fine in the same VMware environment.

61 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ross shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • stsong commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still having issue updating CU updates on one Windows 2016 Standard server. Problem started with 2018-05, haven't been able to install any CU updates since. Tried sconfig option, no Bueno.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Another "me too"!
        Stand-Alone Hardware, fresh install Server 2016 Standard (2 x CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz, 16 Cores, 64GB RAM, 2 x 480GB SSDs RAID1), getting updates from our local WSUS. KB4462917 from 2018-10 takes 56,57 minutes from klicking on "check for updates" until OS is rebooted. It makes no difference, if updates are installed directly via Windows Update or manually...
        Is it possilble to get some kind of useful Information from Microsoft concerning slow 2016 Server updates?

Also multiple experiences of very slow updates with Server 2016 Standard (vm on VMware ESXi 6.0). Resource Manager showed 100% disk usage for a long time

• binary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I got some good and bad news... It seems like MS is working on the problem but not for Server 2016

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-IT-Pro-Blog/What-s-next-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-Server-quality-updates/ba-p/229461

"making those types of changes to older versions of the OS would be risky (the update stack is absolutely critical). With a new version of the OS we have many months of both internal testing as well as Windows Insider previews that we can use to validate the changes at scale and reduce risk."

• Pieter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 here.
        Server is saying "restarting...." forever. After forced shutdown and reboot, sometimes hotfix is installed, sometimes it's revert.
        Win2016 is not WSUS client, is VM on Hyper-V 2012R2, firewall is Watchguard.

• Jesper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same here. In my case i downloaded KB4103723 manually and started the installation yesterday around 09:00. Today almost 24 hours later, it is still showing around 20% completion!?!
        This is a server 2016 running Hyper-V with 2 guests

• binary commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. Every patch Tuesday ends with disaster and late working hours. About 30% of our servers are 2016 and lots of them have problems with updates installation. We actually stopped migration to Server 2016 because of this problem and replaced some of our systems with Linux based solutions.

I have the same issue with a VM in Azure. I've tried various sizes for the VM, up to 7 GB of RAM and 4 CPU and it doesn't make any difference. The updates run for a long time and then fail. Sconfig option 6 works consistently. What's wrong with the regular update process? This should work!

Feedback and Knowledge Base