To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Windows Updates shouldn't fail constantly or take hours to complete

I have a number of 2016 servers. It seems like 99% of them fail when doing automatic updates. I am able to install them manually by going through sconfig and selecting option 6 but it takes FOREVER. During installation, the CPU or Memory isn't maxed out at 100% so I have no idea what is causing it to take forever. All other previous versions of Windows run and install updates just fine in the same VMware environment.

195 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ross shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

42 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Karl W-E. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Eric,
    I will try if this helps with the 03-2019 updates and repost results.
    do you issue them before running the updates? I guess so.

• Erik Carlseen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100% that this situation is absolutely atrocious, but the worst of it can be managed with proper container store maintenance. If you were to reply that the container store is an absolute trash fire and that such a thing should not need frequent administrator attention, I would also agree 100%. This is not intended in any way to let Microsoft off of the hook for this mess, but to provide a path forward for dealing with the terrible hand they've dealt us. The following commands are your friends:

"%SystemRoot%\System32\sfc.exe" /scannow
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Dism.exe" /online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Dism.exe" /online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Dism.exe" /online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Dism.exe" /online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:<your install.wim location and index>
    "%SystemRoot%\System32\Dism.exe" /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup

• Costel Ono commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I manage hundreds of servers at my company and indeed the Windows 2016 patching is atrocious ! Extremely long

• Stephen Kovacsiss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have a number of 2012 R2 servers at AWS and the updates are super fast and since moving to 2016, they take 5 to 10 times longer to complete. It make no sense as to why the update process is so slow. Right now they are all done using the built-in Windows Update functions, although I would like to setup a WSUS for this setup. That is another task that will happen as needed. The updates though, cannot be taking 20-30 (or longer) minutes to complete.

Karl W-E shows it quite clearly in a recent post. Maybe Server 2019 is better, need to see if it is as good as 2012 R2.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same massive issues and problems here with Windows Server 2016 (inside virtual machines with 2016 as well as on the hypervisor side with Hyper-V based on 2016)

Updating 02-2019 2016 & 2019 Core comparison

video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApTx3d3fhinPgpkriARDNqJrGfygWQ

Server 2019 LTSC Core
    Search Updates > 6 sec
    Download Updates > 33 sec
    install Updates > 2 min 30 sec
    Restart / Apply Updates + Logon > 45 sec

Total Patch Time 02-2019 CU > 3 mins 56 sec

Server 2016 LTSC Core
    Search Updates > 28 sec
    Download / (install*) Updates > 13 mins 52 sec
    install Updates > 6 mins 8 sec
    Restart / Apply Updates + Logon > 2 min 57 sec

Total Patch Time 02-2019 CU > 23 mins +/- 26 sec

I was wrong with my post from 16th Feb.

Video via Onedrive for evidence Please share video / post until fixed.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!ApTx3d3fhinPgpkfpt3eIZ6rVJZwaw

Setting:
    Windows 10 19H1 Hyper-V
    Test: Server Patches 2016 LTSC vs 2019 LTSC GUI.
    "Baremetal" installation

2 vCore - Host i7700k @ 4,8 GHz
    32 GB RAM
    2x NVMe 970 EVO 1 TB (Storage Spaces, Mirror, Thin Provisioning)

Server 2019 LTSC GUI
    Search Updates > 11 secs
    Download Updates > 21 secs
    Install Updates > 3 mins 16 secs
    Restart / Apply Updates + Logon > 52 sec
    Total Patch Time 02-2019 CU + .net > 4 mins 40 sec

Server 2016 LTSC GUI
    Download / (install*) Updates > 22 minutes 10 secs
    install Updates > 7 mins 7 seconds + 20 secs another search
    Restart / Apply Updates + Logon > 14 mins 50 secs

Total Patch Time 02-2019 CU
    without .net patches available > 44 mins 28 secs

this translates to storage with no NVME to patch times of several hours as reported in uservoice

*the progress bar is wrong altogether on W2016 it reports to download but is already installing for minutes as there is no network traffic and tiworker is consuming a whole core

if you imagine to patch 20-100 servers on VMWare or Hyper-V you can literally feel the CPU pressure and time consumed comparing to Server 2019.

hi everyone, it seems the latest Servicing Stack Update from 02-2019 will finally fix the issue. I will try to test it further or alternatively provide proove as video comparing 2016 vs 2019 GUI + Core update speeds and tweet to Microsoft with reference of two uservoice.

We’re a small non-profit with about 20 PCs and one physical Windows 2016 server. Updates that used to take an hour or so on a Friday evening with Server 2008R2 now take an entire day or longer with Windows Server 2016. Most recently I tried installing KB4480961 (the January 2019 cumulative update)—it ran for nearly four hours, failed, and then took another hour to roll itself back. Ugh.
    Not sure what our long-term plan is yet, but a Synology NAS is starting to look better and better. Windows Server 2019 is available to us through software assurance but I’m reluctant to move to a server OS that was only released a few months ago.
    Microsoft, please fix!

• Josh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My 3 hour patch window is now a 1-2 day process with our Windows Server 2016 systems. Planning around backup windows is hard enough with the limited amount of time I have.. this is becoming a nightmare and a waste of my time to monitor these systems all weekend.

This is standard for Microsoft to release one bad operating system in between each viable operating system release. I’ve watch this become their modus operandi since Windows 95. Just go back through every Windows OS and you’ll see that it is a genius system to sell more software.

Updating a Server 2016 server takes FOREVER, unacceptable when you are talking production systems.

• Alan Schuh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris commented · October 31, 2018 7:29 AM

"...How is that acceptable?"

By definition, it is acceptable. The windows community's continued use of Server 20xx, and all other MS products, is proof of acceptance.

There are are Linux flavors that can be configured as strong, stable, and secure servers, and there are alternatives to MS applications. You (plural) choose to accept your ride on the Whirligig Update ride.

I have to agree with everyone. Mine do not fail (yet) but it does take hours going from WU or WSUS. From WU I am not counting the time it takes to download because frankly these updates are huge but the time to apply gets about 10-15 minutes longer each month. I am up to about 1.5 hours per server.from the time preparing to install hits.

• Will commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can only confirm we have the exact same issue as mentioned in the comments below.. (I wonder if Joe Patterson is onto something - has anyone else tried his suggestion - and did it work?)

Dear Admins, suffering companions, I've tried to bump up at a very kind and helpful person at Microsoft. I cannot promise anything but I hope it does help this issue gets a checkmark before end of main support for Server 2016 LTSC, after more than a year of reporting.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base