To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Fix Windows Server Updates

Today's Windows Updates are horrible and very unreliable and Windows Updates are one of the most riskiest operations. Microsoft should take the inspiration from Linux environment as Linux implementation of OS updates is informative, transparent to administrators, it's very nice to work with and administrators have all relevant info in case of any issue or update management. And Linux updates are very reliable.

But in case of Windows Server updates they are a nightmare. Using sconfig provides only very basic information, when updates are downloaded with no information is provided about progress, about downloading process, details about downloaded packages etc. The installation is the same issue - black box hiding all info about the prrocess and it is very hard to work with as nobody knows if the system is stucked or what is happening inside and administrators must just guess what to do. No information is provided by Windows Server and admins can do just wait and pray.

And finally admins must pray if the updates will install correctly and not harming their production OSes as this is happening in Windows world frequently.

Microsoft must put Windows Updates as one of the top priorities as this is crucial functionality for every OS from point view as security, maintenance, reliability etc. Now this is a nightmare and one of the most unreliable services in Windows OS which makes Windows Server very risky environment to work with.

7 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Joe Patterson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have configured my Server 2016 & Windows 10 GPO settings to not allow my Windows 10 & Server 2016 to received updates from computers on the Internet significantly improves update performance and reliability. Remember Windows 10 & Server 2016 have the new update code path to try and download updates from computers on the Internet. Without the new GPO settings 1709+) the OSes will continue to try to use Internet sources for updates even if the local OS GUI has the option disabled. Confirm with Process Monitor, SYSMON & TCPView tools from Sysinternals on the Microsoft TechNet site.
        *NOTE with CAUTION: You may need to add the newer Windows 10 (1709+) .ADMx/l files to your GPO Central store in SYSVOL (or PolicyDefinitions folder on a local OS) to be able to get access to the additional GPO settings specific to Windows Update and Microsoft's new Cloud based updating settings.

Feedback and Knowledge Base