To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Default shell in Server Core and MinShell to PowerShell

With the change to Server Core or MinShell as install options, MS should not default the way you interact with the server to the old command line. It should be PowerShell. I do this on my current servers by changing the registry, but I'm not sure why in 2015 MS doesn't do this by default.

217 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Allan HirtAllan Hirt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • MikeMike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I for one don't understand the whole push back toward command line. Windows brought the GUI and took over the world with it, now toss it all out and go back to the prompt. ok. IMO better to create a windows management server role or applicance which is purpose built to aid in developing / executing admin scripts and so on. If I have IIS enabled or some software installed that's designed to run on a server I don't need to be messing around with powershell on the box and trying to manage other servers from it, I personally want a GUI on a box like that, IIS manager, SSMS etc. Even if I could manage the applications entirely with powershell, certainly not making my life any easier.

• SassSass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PowerShell commands are slower than their cmd counterpart, although easier to work with.

I'd say make this an option for the end user to decide whether to default to CMD or PowerShell. also give option to change it.

• Rich SiegelRich Siegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I want cmd.exe I should be able to run it, but all command line invocations should default to powershell. ie start-run and just start typing cmdlets, unattended files, explorer and the ISE should be cojoined. It should be a unified experience. Cmd is tech debt. Pay it down and don't let legacy support detract the Monad vision.

• Jason FossenJason Fossen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When .NET and PowerShell are not installed, have it default to CMD. When they are installed, have it default to PowerShell. Like Allan said, it's just a registry change. If PowerShell launches and an admin needs to get back to CMD for some reason, they can do that from within PowerShell.

• Sebastian N.Sebastian N. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What Dave Ackroyd said, since one does not always need the .Net Framework on a server PowerShell (with its .Net dependency) is not installed by default.

• Rich SiegelRich Siegel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there is nothing more irksome than having to launch powershell.exe from another programming language. this needs to stop already. runspaces needs to be exported dll too.

• Dave Ackroyd @LearnPowerShell    AnonymousDave Ackroyd @LearnPowerShell Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As much as id like this I recently heard Jeffrey Snover explain why cmd is still default:
        1) both .net and PowerShell are optional component so cant be relied on;
        2) machines should be remote managed and so you can remote manage and shouldn't be RDPing onto servers

• Nick FieldsNick Fields commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, it's time to finish the conversion of everything to PowerShell and make it the default shell in the OS.

• Allan HirtAllan Hirt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The whole point is to not have to start PS. It should just go to PS.

I don't see the point of running sconfig after - I rarely use it. I use PS for pretty much everything. Most people I know do.

• ArjanArjan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can easily start powershell from the shell but why not start at least the sconfig after startup so that you can set minimal config if needed.

• Andy BockoAndy Bocko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...or a command prompt AND a Powershell window. Also, closing the last command/PS window should prompt a dialog or automatically spawn a new window.

Feedback and Knowledge Base