To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

Give KMS an easy to use GUI and make it a no brainer to setup and maintain.

KMS is annoying and provides no value to the customer, only to Microsoft. It should be made drop dead easy and flawless so admins have to spend virtually no time on it both for installing and maintaining it.

115 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Erik WilliamsErik Williams shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • WillsatroydWillsatroyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

KMS should definitely be a role. You'd want to ensure that a KMS server didn't accept authorisation attempts before having the keys configured so maybe the servers could be authorised like DHCP servers.
        Perhaps there could be the option for the keys to be stored in AD in those environments.
        However it is done, get rid of that VBS script! A good starting point for me would be to replace it with PowerShell CmdLets

• NPNP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With the current way KMS Servers are deployed I end up seeing rouge/misconfigured in half the environments I consult with. Someone always tries to activate Windows or Office and turns their desktop/server into a KMS server by accident. Let's just make it a role with a basic GUI that shows you what Keys you have, activation status, count, and other basic info.

• Kevin GouldKevin Gould commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It should also provide basic statistics on all the products in a readable fashion - Office is a good example. Also eliminate this driving need to either patch or completely upgrade the OS of your KMS every time it needs to license a new product. It's compete nonsense that this is necessary. It's a debacle every time a new OS ships. It should be a new key - end of story.

Feedback and Knowledge Base