General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Filter start menu search results windows 10

The windows search exclutions does not work with the windows 10 start menu search. The windows explorer restriction are not active either. Users can find to much wich an administrator does not want. Like unc paths hidden drives en executable when you not the full file name.

There a many excutables in the windows (sytem32) folder students are trying to abuse.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add lnk to application control policies

Add to posibility to control from where lnk files can be used. Lnk files can be used to start a single line script or start executable with extra parameters an administrator is not happy with. My suggestion is to add this file type to the "application control policies"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. auto rotation

I own a surface and when I move by accident and the keyboard is still attached there should be a small window not to rotate the screen, it could be used to determine sleep. through motion and inactivity.. this could leads to less battery drain. by keeping the screen off often.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Group Policy Powershell Commandlets Registry Items

I'm interested in using Powershell to bulk create Group Policy Objects for Registry Items using the command Set-GPPrefRegistryValue but I'm not able to modify any of the settings under the Common Tab. I would like to do Item-Level Targeting and Check the box for Remove this Item when it is no longer applied specifically. Is there some Commandlets that modify those values for a registry item? If not can you please make them? Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Refresh interval in Server Manager

According to the functionality of the refresh interval in server manager there's supposed to be limitations when adding other servers or monitoring multiple servers from one Server Manager well I regret to say that the limitation is also to a single server. I have tried setting different interval times to get the Volumes to refresh automatically so that when I log into the server I get a live update but unfortunately it doesn't do it for the past 3 months I have been monitoring this and I finally decided to report it so that at least it gets updated on…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hyper-V : Icon by VM type

3 different icons for the three types of VM please!
    Keep the current icon for a main VM. Then, use an icon for the replica and another icon for the secondary replica.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Windows Update settings - Restart options

In Windows Update on Server 2016 and beyond, there is the Restart options, which allows you to Schedule a time to restart and finish installing updates.

The problem is you can only turn this on once the updates have fully completed installed.

Instead of having to wait for the update to install, you should be allowed to Schedule the Restart time from this menu ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY BEGUN to install updates. It's very annoying to have to wait for hours or however long, to then later have to go back and schedule the restart. You should be able to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add feedback option like in Windows 10

Windows 10 now has a "send feedback" option; please add this to all versions of Windows currently supported.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Multiple Simultaneous Clipboards for Enhanced Copy/Paste Experience

If a user wishes to copy multiple instances of data on different clipboards, lets take the number of clipboards as five, and he wishes to paste data from a certain clipboard, the system should allow the user to right-click and choose the clipboard from which data has to be pasted. This feature will have following benefits:

1. Save copy/paste operation time

2. Increase user's efficiency and productivity

3. Empower user to perform smart copy/paste

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Extend Features on Demand for Server Core

Currently FOD for Server Core in Windows Server 2019 does not include a Services Snapin for MMC. Also missing: Task Scheduler, Hyper-V, etc. I know this is beeing worked on for Windows Server 1903.

But those Admins that run the LTSC version of Windows Server won't get these additional consoles.

Please consider a backport to Windows Server 2019 LTSC:

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Failover Cluster Manager reports wrong role status count on open

Windows Server 2016 Failover Cluster Manager when opening for the first time reports the wrong amount of active roles. I have a 4 node cluster with 170+ VMs and the count is always different and lower the first time I open FCM. when I click refresh it corrects itself.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. "Tear strips" for temporary notepad

iI find Microsoft documentation about how to do something relating to W10 of other Microsoft products. It would be helpfl to be able to save the Microsoft instructions into a managaboe note which I could then position on the screen whil I wa trying to do the commands documented in the not so portable documention. Right now i print this stuff out - but that is a ess especially when I am doing the setup for use on severa machines or merely I am forgetful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Remove GUI on all server editions completely.

We need leaner, faster, more secure servers.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Shell, GUI, & Explorer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Windows Update Notifications/Nag Screen

PLEASE get rid of the "new" Windows Update notification that takes over the screen and makes you open the Settings app... the 2012r2 way (with a clear option to cancel) was better. We already know when our servers need updates but can't necessarily take them down for updates at that very moment.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. NSLookup add support for URI dns entries

NSLookup add support for URI dns entry schemes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. NSLookup add support for URI dns entries

NSLookup add support for URI dns entry schemes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. get hackers out

help they are running a **** business on my home wifi

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Dark Theme for Group Policy Management Editor

Include an option for a Dark theme view in the Group Policy Management Editor.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base