General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I get constant Microsoft demands to enter "my password". Which of my passwords do you mean.? Make it clear

I have multiple passwords for Window 10 and other Micdrosoft products, global, pins even finger touch. When Microsoft demans a "password you should make it clear
    Which One and that the popup should be clearly stated

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. For Active Directory Certificate Services (MS ADCS), add MS SQL Server (at a minimum) as an option for the CA database

The JET database format is old, non-resilient, suffers from bloating problems due to an inability to automatically reclaim space and requires the CA database to be stored on a 'local' disk. In addition, it only allows flat file backup and does not support 'replay' or other recovery features.

It's high time ADCS was bought kicking and screaming into the 21st Century by allowing at least MS SQL to be used as a proper backend relational database. This would then allow proper resiliency to be built into the database, recovery using transaction logs (potentially no more lost, unmanageable certificates due to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Support for Network Policy Server (NPS) Role on Server Core

Network Policy Server is an infrastructure services role much like ADDS, ADCS, DNS, and DHCP.

We need to have support for this role added to Server Core. Requiring a GUI for this role means more patches, wasted CPU cycles and wasted memory.

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. option "Shutdown" qui attent qu'aucun utilisateur ne soit connecté (session, SMB, HTTP, FTP)

"Shutdown.exe" (ou PS: "Restart-Computer") ne permet pas de demander un reboot sous la condition qu'aucune session utilisateur ne soit ouverte. Cela serait très bien pour les serveurs RDS/remoteApp/AppV.
    Deux autre conditionne possible : l'absence de connexions SMB (share) pour les serveur de fichier (DFS) ou absence de connexions IIS (HTTP, FTP).
    Merci pour ses évolutions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create search button in "services.msc"

Create search button in "services.msc" in Windows Server versions

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. RDS in 2016 looks awfully complicated ...it certainly isn't Citrix

I have just reviewed the setup for RDS, it looks horribly complex...it certainly does not look like the easy setup with Citrix... Where are wizards? Where are even examples to show who you do things like present apps to desktops?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Hot

Muka Lu Kaya Kontol!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Dedicated Event Log for Windows Firewall Activity (pfirewall.log in the event logs)

A dedicated Windows Event log for Windows Firewall activity - like pfirewall.log provides - would make centralized logging and reporting much easier and lead to greater adoption of the built in firewall. IPSec logging to the security Event Log is not a robust answer, as it causes too much log churn for most enterprises.

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Additional filtering capabilties to applicable GET-AD* CmdLets

Select parameter to return a count of the "-first x" objects or "-last x" objects
    Filters should support regular expression format
    Filters should support "-match" for regular expression format

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Group Policy > Preferences > Files > Action: Update

It's a shame that until today that group policy setting doesn't let us update the file based on the "LastWriteTime" attribute.
    I have seen a lot of complains about that misunderstood setting.
    Please consider on changing the action or to add a new one, that will help so many admins ou there!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. No gold for free games

This isn't necessarily for windows, actually its for the Xbox one. I think that making people pay for Xbox live gold for free games isn't the best idea, honestly I believe that making people do this would draw people towards other console that have paid online services but still allow you play free games for free. This is done both on the Nintendo switch and the PS4. Thank you for taking out of your time to read this, and I hope you implement this onto the console in an update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. vmconnect.exe and Grant-VMConnectAccess

The Cmdlet Grant-VMConnectAccess provides a good service in that it allows you to grant Access to a VM to a specific user without giving them full access to ALL vm's and Network control on the machine. User's need VMConnect.exe to talk to VM's but it does not respect this change. Please update VMConnect.exe to respect and use this rights change. It should be able to talk directly to the VM if the rights are there and the machinename or Guid of the VM is targeted

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Change Your Thinking

I recently downloaded Server 2016 from my VL portal, got it installed/configured for testing, and I just thought I would share my discontent with the product (or unimpressed is likely a better wording). This does not require any input from anyone, or have any questions that need to be answered.

I dislike that they removed the ability to convert from GUI to Core, or Core to GUI. That was a great feature! Sorry I am not a PowerShell guru, but these feature allowed me to be flexible. Add this back in! I read your reasoning online. Find a way to…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dedupe on ReFS and Hyper-V non-VDI scenarioes...

Please please please add support for Dedupe on ReFS volumes! If you want us to start using the new filesystem then you really should implement Dedupe as well. Also support for Dedupe on other than VDI loads would really be nice. It works very well, so why not??

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Include support for Group Managed Service Accounts in Task Scheduler GUI

The GUI does not accept entering a gMSA as user for a scheduled task. This can only be done from PowerShell, and after doing that it is not possible to edit the task from GUI.

I would love to see gMSA support in the scheduled tasks GUI.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Disable logon screen background image by default

On Windows Server 2016 Eval (with Desktop Experience), the background image of logon screen is enabled by default.

I feel it would be better to disable by default than to enable.I think such a feature is not needed on the server product and it's better to be simple and to minimize resources for non-service.

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Finally, please describe for each executable (standalone & services) it's necessity to access the Internet

This is a security issue.

Hello

It's really strange that we use operating systems which do not describe its executables and their eligibility to access the internet.

If we monitor which programms access the internet on a Windows Machine, then we really often have to google for its executable name and just get informations like "we do'nt know what it does, but it is probably safe to allow internet access".

Therefore, please:
    1) Finally, create a professional application & service architecture. No, to route everything over svchost.exe is not a secure design. Not at all.

2) Finally, create a datasheet…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Server : Time Zone change log.

Hi,

When we change the system time zone,
    It would be logged in System Log:
    Event id 1:
    Source : Kernel-General.

Details :
    The system time has changed to ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30T07:02:56.704492900Z from ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎30T07:02:56.704492900Z.

Change Reason: System time adjusted to the new time zone.

Issue:
    The New time and the Old time are the same in the details which will not help much to know from which timezone it had been changed from .

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Run group policy update silently when run from Group Policy Management

On Server 2012 when running Group Policy Update from within the Group Policy Management Console the update runs interactive on the targeted systems. This makes the feature pretty much obsolete as you can't run a group policy update in real time urgently if it means the perception of interfering with end users.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base