General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a cache drive to normal storage spaces

It would be really handy if we could add SSD and NVMe drives to a normal Storage Space, as tiered/cache storage. Like you can in Storage Spaces Direct. Only less complex and less requirements...

Ideally, I'd like to be able to add them after the Storage Space has been created.

e.g. I currently have 4x4TB USB HDs in my storage space, to keep cost down, but it would be handy to put an SSD drive (internally connected, not USB) to provide performance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Hyper-V Error messages without copy message and without an Error ID - it's a shame

M$ is really doing it's best to make the work with their products as hard as possible. This is example 291:

If Hyper-V is not able to start a VM, then we get a lot of GUIDs.
    Of course, M$ no longer offers a professional path to the solution:

a) M$ no longer displays a unique Error ID. So we have to google for Text and try to find the best matching solution.

b) M$ does not allow to past the Error Message to the Clipboard, so we have to find a useful workaround to get the details.

It's really…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Windows Firewall should block all communication until core windows services are 100% available

Currently,automating a windows deployment causes undo complexity as a server will being responding to commands on boot regardless of if internal systems are completely available. The biggest culprit to this is WinRM, as it will answer and even allow authentication despite the host OS still being in a boot state. For example, I can tell Ansible to poll windows WinRM 5985 while it reboots, but it will open ports and allow authentication _during the boot screen_ even though the OS hasn't finished init, and thus when any followup commands are guaranteed to fail (even something as benign as gathering the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Edit Local Computer Policy settings from the command line

Need support for editing Local Computer Policy settings (including those defined in the Administrative Templates) from the command line or Power Shell so that updates can be scripted.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Please allocate more space to the C: drive when upgrading to Windows 10. I don't need a secondary partition.

I have a lot of space I cannot use because you partitioned only 116 GB of space to my C drive on a 900 GB hard disk drive. Because the unallocated space is not contiguous to the C drive I cannot extend the C drive to include the additional space. This causes frequent occurrences of lack of disk space when operating the comptuer. Can you please fix this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Domain functional level does not show 2016

When I raised domain/forest functional level from 2012R2 to 2016 (successfully), my domain and forest functional level show "Windows Server". In the past it would usually say "Windows Server 2012 R2" or something like that. I know it is running as Windows Server 2016 because when I look at the attribute msDS-Behavior-Version it shows 7 (WIN2016). I am wondering is there something that went wrong with my upgrade or Windows Server 2016 does not show number for the domain and forest level?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. For Active Directory Certificate Services (MS ADCS), allow numbers greater than 999 to be entered in the Role Installation wizard.

When specifying the validity period for a Root CA, although the period can be changed to days, months, weeks or years, the value has a maximum value of 999. This is useless when it is necessary to accurately specify a number of days when the Root CA certificate should be valid for beyond 999 days etc.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Persistent Windows Server Pool

I work with RDS Servers and since 2012, it is usually better to go into the Server Manager to do anything. What I don't understand is why I must repeatedly re-add servers to the Server Pool every time II need to do anything. Between the different Roles, I can have 7-8 servers in the RDS Collection, but find that one time I must add all non-localhost servers and the next I need add only one. Why can't the Server Pool be made persistent so that once I create the pool, I don't have to re-add servers?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. For Active Directory Certificate Services (MS ADCS), fix the Certification Authority console so that AIA/CDP fields can be edited!

Currently, using the Certification Authority MMC, AIA/CRL fields can only be deleted/added via the CDP/AIA tabs. There should also be an 'edit' button such that these entries can be edited.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Update ADMT to be able to migrate Windows Apps

We are currently waiting for Windows 10 to be fully supported within ADMT. We can migrate the user, system but all complete with errors regarding Windows store apps. I do not want to fork out extra $$ just because Microsoft hasn't updated their basic tool yet. If we could migrate properly we would have bought more CALs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Server 2016 not installing updates at the scheduled time set via Group Policy. Cumulative updates always fail with 0x800705b4.

Server 2016 not installing updates at the scheduled time set via Group Policy. Cumulative updates always fail with 0x800705b4.

It takes FOREVER, but if I manually download the update, it will install. If I had one server, I'd say it's my problem, but every server 2016 server I've deployed has this problem. What gives!?!?!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Windows Defender Automatic update

Give us the option to allow Windows Defender on Windows Server 2016 to update automatically.
    Why would anyone want to wait for a maintenance window to install windows defender updates via windows update?

If I turn on automatically install updates everything would be installed including definition updates but the server might reboot because of system and security updates.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Lower the priority of "automatic maintenance" (tiworker.exe)

Every now and then after a server restart, tiworker.exe jumps to 100% CPU usage for a long time, effectively DOS-ing single-processor servers.

Google (or bing) for `"automatic maintenance" tiworker.exe` for lots of reports on this issue, including blog posts of people recommending to disable this task.

My suggestion would be to lower that task's priority by default ("below normal" works well based on my tests): 30 minutes of background maintenance and a responsive server is *much* better than 15 minutes of background maintenance and a server which is practically unusable during that time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. ADFS WID Port 80 Requirement

ADFS WID replication requires port 80 to be open. This is not outlined anywhere in this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/deployment/best-practices-securing-ad-fs

It is outlined here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/adfs/set-adfssyncproperties?view=win10-ps

"Note: The primary server must be accessible via HTTP on port 80 from the secondary server."

Please add this note to the best practices document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. GUI for DNS policies and rate-limiting

Please implement GUI for configuring DNS policies and DNS rate-limiting in Windows Server 2016.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. configure the winrm client without starting the winrm server

When trying to user psremoting you have to add a trusted host to your client's trusted hosts. This is fine and we normally default to '*' for developer machines that need to talk to prod and other infra. The problem is that this also requires the developer machine to start the winrm service which 'allows the computer to recieve Windows Powershell remote commands that are sent using the WS-Management technology'. I get pushback from devs who don't want to run this server service and see it as an unecessary security risk. We typically don't need CredSSP or have issues with…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Configuration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 2016, WDS, Deduplication: Option to disable RES.WIM usage

A bit of history here. Windows Deployment Services has been around for quite a number of years, and it uses a file-based deduplication mechanism to conserve disk space.

When we capture an image with WDS, what it is actually doing is creating hashes for all files on the disk and then checking to see if those hashes are present in RES.WIM. Any hashed files not present in RES.WIM are copied up to the server, added to RES.WIM, and then the disk image itself is just a list of hashes to pull out of RES.WIM to reconstruct the image.

Without deduplication,…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Give back System Protection tab

and system restore as is in Win10

6 votes
    Sign in