General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

To improve Windows Server I suggest you ...

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Fix .NET-incompatibility with Essentials Dashboard on Server 2016

With the latest .Net updates the dashboard is not useable anymore: Warnings can't be ignored or deleted, computers can't be removed...
    Only the progressbar appears, cpu usage rises to 100% and dashboard gets stuck or crashes.

35 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Issue on Windows10 Pro as RDP listener - internal error occurred

Hello,

I want to report one issue that is easy to reproduce, it occurs with any rdp client that connects to Windows10 Pro with enabled RDP connections, actually used mstsc.exe to connect from one Windows10 pro machine to another Windows10 pro machine with enabled RDP.

After ~100 tries to restore interrupted connection the server refuses future rdp connection tries with internal error occurred message reported by mstsc.exe.

It doesn't matter if you have logged off the session during running, as example did 20 connection restorings then logged off, logged in and did next 80 connection restorings, that was only example,…

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • MSTSC Should Be More Forthcoming With Diagnostics; Beyond "An Internal Error Occurred"

I manage a PC that runs Broadcast Software International's Simian application in production 24/7 for a radio station. It is royally impossible to manage the PC via mstsc which reports "An Internal Error Occurred." There is a VPN involved provided by WatchGuard's appliance. The VPN is NOT the problem. Remote Desktop works for the brother PC that also runs Windows 7 with University of Kansas's Telephone Reader application in production 24/7. My hypothesis is that the broadcast-quality sound card is being accessed, with catastrophic results, by the server part of RDP in Windows 7 even in the case where I…

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows Server 2019 Search function doesn't work without Internet connection

Search function is not working when Server 2019 is not connected to internet. I'm not getting any search results when I search after installed programs from start menu. When I connect the server to Internet everything is fine. Sometimes it works when i go back to offline mode until I reboot server again. We have lots of offline servers so I hope you can fix this problem before we start to migrate to Sever 2019.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Task Manager and Admin Centre cannot see CPU usage

I have HPE Proliant MicroServer Gen8 and installed Windows Server 2019. After I set non-unicode language to Chinese(Simp), I cannot see CPU usage anymore in task manager, resource monitor, and Admin Centre. Even I revert it back to English(US), it still would not help.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• please implement a seperation of architectures in WSUS for Itanium and ARM64

There is no way to keep ARM64 and Itanium updates out of WSUS because one can only choose between x86 and x64 updates but there is no limitation to other architectures that do not belong to classic Intel or AMD64 architectures just like Itanium and ARM64. These should be filtered in WSUS as a seperate category.

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Windows Server 2016 loses NTFS permissions

Folder structure (example):

Company (Company is shared as Company)
                Sales
                Administration
                Office

Folder Company:
                Share permissions:
                Everyone, Change

NTFS permissions:
                Group “Alle_MAs”, Read, This folder only
                Group “Admin”, “System”, Full control
                right inheritance, disabled

Supfolders of Company (Sales, Administration, Office):
                Folder „Sales“, Group „Sales“, Change
                Folder „ Administration“, Group „ Administration“, Change
                Folder „ Office“, Group „ Office“, Change

For example, if I delete the folder “Sales”, on the share “Company”, all NTFS permissions have disappeared except for “Administratos” and “System”

Thanks for your help
                Michael

8 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • 1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Update Essentials 2012 R2 Dashboard to be compatible with current .NET releases

If any .NET version after 4.5.2 is installed, some dashboard functionality fails (can't remove computer, can't ignore alert) and the dashboard crashes randomly. Removing and blocking .NET 4.6.1, 4.7, and 4.7.1 works around the issue, but that means the server is limited to the 4-year-old .NET 4.5.2. This article has more details:

https://www.mcbsys.com/blog/2018/02/essentials-2012-r2-dashboard-fails-with-net-4-6-and-4-7/

34 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 does not seem to be compatible with Apple OS split view like version 8 was

Can you fix the fact that Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 no longer supports Apple OS Split View

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 does not seem to be compatible with Apple OS split view like version 8 was

Can you fix the fact that Microsoft Remote Desktop 10 no longer supports Apple OS Split View

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• pagefile

Following this discussion:
                          https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/c5f2786c-ffac-4f14-b7a9-00612cdf784e/server-2016-vm-hangs-shutting-downrestarting-when-the-pagefile-is-on-a-different-vhdx?forum=winserverhyperv

The core problem is the following, for example (simple config), for Exchange or SQL servers in a HYPER-V VM under Windows 2016:

systemdrive for windows system (and sql, exchange core),
                          datadrive for mbx data or sql-databases
                          datadrive for log file
                          drive for pagefile

We create for all this drive a separat VHDX file and add this to the VM as SCSI drive.

The drive for pagefile (fast SSD, NVMe or other) is exclusiv for the pagefile reserved. No other data on it. The drive for pagefile is the only drive with a pagefile for this vm.…

38 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • WSUS Powershell computerupdatestatus

The "Get-Wsuscomputer -ComputerUpdateStatus Needed" powershell cmdlet does not work and fails to return objects that match the cmdlet.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• suing someone to fix and actually test a generic april 10pro install to regain all existing virtual images that a generic home users wants

suing someone to fix and actually test a generic april 10pro install to regain all existing virtual images that a generic home users wants to use as in all the docker images, all their long time existing virtual box images etc without resorting to worse than Linux powershell lines of code

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Windows Server 2016: Powershell Imports Appear Broken

Windows Server 2016: Powershell Imports Appear Broken

Version:
                                Major Minor Build Revision
                                ----- ----- ----- --------
                                5 1 14393 2339
                                Error:
                                Error: The term 'function' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was includ
                                ed, verify that the path is correct and try again.

Summary:
                                Last night, an update was implemented on our system via active directory. Today, I am unable to run file imports that work on other versions (5.1.16299.431 is working fine on my local machine, Windows 10). I'm not…

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• WDS , AD DS, IIS, Ethernet Settings

I've successfully installed Windows Server 2019. I've installed the following Roles: ADDS, DHCP, WDS. Active directory works fine, dhcp work proper. WDS when i try to open the WDS manager will freeze. I've installed in multiple system so it's not a problem with my VMWare Workstation 14. Also i've tried both versions. Standard and Data Center.

Second glitch it's the network settings. When you right click on ethernet icon and try to go to advance option. On the left panel click Ethernet and first option it's to change Adapter option. You will get an error which said that you don't…

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hi please read this post carefully

I am a microsoft trainer for about 8 years so i think its important for you to hear my suggestions about windows server 2016 (the latest update).
                                    Win server 2016 has so many bugs and you are losing your customers.
                                    Everyone tells me that master please dont tell me about winserver 2016 any more its not reliable and has so many issues.
                                    So if you as microsoft server team want to know about all of the problems please send me an email so i will tell you all about the problems that im sure you dont know aboute all of…

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hyper V bug with saving before restore

When restoring another state (and discarding the current state) the machine "Saves" the current memory to the disk first, and then discards what it saved.

This started with Server 2016.

To reproduce the issue restore a previous machine state and discard the current state ... "saving" will come up before it restores the selected state.

This is silly and adds quite a lot of overhead (when dealing with ~200GB in memory), to the point that it is quicker for me to turn off the machine first, restore the state, then start the VM.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Switch Independent Teaming

The standby NIC in a Windows Server Switch Independent teaming configuration results in applications receiving duplicate broadcasts or multicasts. This is incorrect design and make switch independent teaming unusable in many use cases. Broadcasts or multi-casts on the standby adapter should be discarded.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Windows Deployment Server stop breaking on updates

Every time there is a major 6-month update for Windows Server 2016, my Windows Deployment Server will break and we will not be able to image computers without a complete re-install of Windows Server.

3 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base