General Feedback

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with Windows Server? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea in the one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Windows Server customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums is monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft engineering teams responsible for building Windows Server. Suggestions can apply to both released and Technical Preview versions of Windows Server.

Important:

1. Remote Desktop Services (RDS)-related feedback must be provided in their UV site: https://remotedesktop.uservoice.com/forums/266795-remote-desktop-services-for-enterprises

2. Requests for feature changes around the end-user experience, such as desktop shell, start menu, individual consumer apps, etc. must be provided through the Windows 10 Feedback Hub tool. We have no ownership of these types of non-Windows Server components.

3. This forum (General Feedback) is used for any broad feedback related to Windows Server. Feedback for specific areas like Storage, Networking, Virtualization, Nano Server, etc., should be provided in one of the forums available on the right. It is not for bug filings. If you find a bug with Windows Server please open a support case at https://support.microsoft.com and report it – these cases are free.

If you have technical questions or need help with Windows Server, please visit our “TechNet Forums” https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/home?category=windowsserver

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Failed to import VM with virtual disk extension vhdx

I have exported VMs with virtual disk extension vhdx created on Windows 10 1809 but can't import them on multiple Windows 10 versions. I exported VM with vhd extension and successfully imported on the sames systems that had issue with vhdx file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. MS DNS does not validate manual entries for RFC compliance

When copying and pasting a CNAME in to MS DNS I accidentally got in a trailing space in the text selection. Even after verifying that spaces are not valid characters, DNS still permitted its use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. "Windows Update Cleanup 1.00 MB" bug of Windows Server 2016

Recently, I found "Windows Update Cleanup 1.00 MB" in Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr) Tool of Windows Server 2016 with Desktop Experience. I know of another bug that is incorrectly displayed as 3.55 TB, but I found this new 1.00MB bug on two machines (Hyper-V VM and Azure VM). I selected this item on my Hyper-V VM and delete start, it will take a day or more to finally complete, and about 30GB of space will be come back. That's good news, but 1.00 MB display is bug, and the time taken to delete is unusual. I do not have the courage…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. SIMPLE not chaos and hyper complexity impossile to understand in less than month lost for update wrong

update are too complex when wrong, please you must make simple solutions for update errors that works
    I understand why Boeing crashes with Microsoft software !!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bug: Can not pin off the Start menu forWindows Server 2019 Essentials

1. pin off the Start menu

2. log off

3. The Start menu is clear

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. RS5's strange update behavior of .NET Framework Preview CU

Today (1/22 PST), Microsoft released two preview udpates for RS5 - KB4476976 and KB4481031. Thease updates are D release. But Preview of Cumulative Update for .NET Framework (KB4481031) was automatically installed to some Windows 10 ver 1809 and Windows Server 2019. This behavior is not assumed. I did not click "Check for updates". KB4481031 says

"Install this update
    To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
    This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Can't launch desktop icons from Settings - rundll32.exe error no permissions as administrator

This is a BUG
    Why when attempting to launch desktop icons from settings do I get a rundll32.exe error 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'
    EH WHAT? Fix your bugs and test your software

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. robocopy needs to be able to refresh folder attributes

robocopy needs to be able to refresh folder attributes.

It appears that if I change attribute settings on the source folders, it is not reflected on the destination folders if I run updates in Robocopy.

Settings is OK on the first run, but it will not update on subsequent runs.

Options : . /S /E /DCOPY:DAT /COPY:DATSO /SECFIX /PURGE /MIR /ZB /MT:128 /R:10 /W:30

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Fix failure to reconstruct _msdcs bug

If the option "Network Connections -> Ethernet ?? -> Properties -> ipv4 -> advanced -> dns -> register this connection's address with dns" is disabled , then a DC will fail to recreate the msdcs delegated domain. This option would appear to be responsible for the first CNAME entry in msdcs , if that is missing then _msdcs will not be reconstructed. And might have been responsible for deleteing it in the first place

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Hyper-v Replication stops working

Server 2016 replication worked to secondary server. Now, both machines are upgraded to 2019. Replication works for hours and then fails. Requires restart of machine (and killing VM tasks as they won't shutdown gracefully) to get replication working again only to have it fail again.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Removing SMB Bandwidth Limits causes BSOD

You create an SMB Bandwidth limit using the "Set-SMBBandwidthLimit" cmdlet.

You then attempt to remove the previously created SMB Bandwidth Limit using the "Remove-SMBBandwidthLimit" cmdlet.

The machine will then immediately blue screen with Bugcheck 0x0000003b. Analyising the memory dump that is generated presents the following:

PRIMARYPROBLEMCLASS: 0x3B_SmbBandwidthLimitFilter!SchedDispatchDeviceControl

Tested on Server 2016 Standard and Datacenter 1607 (14393.2791) - February Cumulative Update.

See here for original Technet Forum post: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4283c98e-4326-4a99-ac73-5357d9c60909/removing-smb-bandwidth-limits-results-in-bsod?forum=ws2016

Matt Hibberd

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Windows Server Insider Preview 18334 enter-pssession do not get-windowsfeature

In enter - pssession to Windows Server Insider Preview 18334, when get - windowsfeature is executed, the following message appears.

Remote host method get_WindowSize is not implemented.
         + CategoryInfo: ResourceUnavailable: (:) [out-lineoutput], PSRemotingDataStructureException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId: System.Management.Automation.Remoting.PSRemotingDataStructureException, Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.OutLineOutputCommand

Although the installation itself has been successful, the install-Windows feature-name "Data-Center-Bridging", "Failover-Clustering", "Hyper-V", "RSAT-Clustering-PowerShell", "Hyper-V-PowerShell" "FS-Data-Deduplication" -IncludeManagementTools
    The same message is also displayed in the execution.

There is no problem for get-windowsfeature running locally in Windows Server Insider Preview 18334.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Server 2019 Bugsd and workarounds

• After installing and promoting to domain controller the network type in the Network & Sharing Center still shows Public when it should be Domain. This blocks many domain only functions from being possible. For example, remote desktop with or without the gateway is not possible unless you go into the firewall settings to allow public access to port 3389 and/or port 443. Setting the Network Location Awareness service to Automatic (Delayed Start) does not provide enough time for other services to start so the correct network type is used. What I had to do was set up a task in…
    1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. bug in taskmanager winserver 2016

I create a task that monitor Eventlogentries by EventID.
    I create 4 triggers listen to 4 different eventIDs (AD Group created, alterted, deleted) but only on action to start a powershell script.

Each time one event occurs (only one evententry) the action will be performend 4 times

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add an error preventing the deletion of checkpoints when the hypervisor is not running!

I dual boot VMware and Hypervisor enabled versions of the OS and deleted a checkpoint while the hypervisor service wasn't running. The disk therefore did not merge, and when I rebooted with the hypervisor there was an id mismatch for some reason. Please prevent the deletion or atleast create a notification to confirm informing the disk merge won't occur while the hypervisor isn't running.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make Storage Spaces Direct more reliable!

We’ve had a nightmare experience with Storage Spaces Direct on 2016, on brand new HPE Gen 10 kit. We have a detailed account we can share.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. please implement a seperation of architectures in WSUS for Itanium and ARM64

There is no way to keep ARM64 and Itanium updates out of WSUS because one can only choose between x86 and x64 updates but there is no limitation to other architectures that do not belong to classic Intel or AMD64 architectures just like Itanium and ARM64. These should be filtered in WSUS as a seperate category.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Bug  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hyper-V management service stops listening

Under 2019, the Hyper-V management service stops listening (Server was upgraded from 2016). Shutting down the service hangs.

Hyper-V was stable under 2016.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)